Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 Meter transmitting trips circuit breaker  (Read 7223 times)
KA1LDD

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »

I've moved into a new home and have found that if I transmit on 30 meters at over 50 watts, it trips the circuit breaker for my son's bedroom (not on same circuit as my shack).  That particular breaker happens to also have an arc fault sensor on it, so I have a suspicion that the arc fault detection has something to do with it.  My system is well grounded and I have no interference with anything on any other band.  My antenna is in the attic however, which may be part of the culprit.  Anyone have any ideas?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »

Move the antenna out of the attic and farther away from the house - or operate QRP. Otherwise you'll probably have to replace the breaker with a non-arc fault type (which may not be legal in your county).
VE4TTH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »

The AFCI is most likely defective. This can occure mainly as a result of a nearby lightning strike, or repeated tripping. Try replacing it, or have an electrician replace it for you. While your at it, I would check to see that it has been correctly installed, and that your service panel is correctly grounded. These two problems are very common, especially when home owners elect to do their own electrical work and don't fully understand what is required. It is possible the AFCI is good but incorrectly installed, or the service ground is not sufficient, but those are rare causes.

Peter..
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

The newer GFI's are more immune to RFI. Simply replace the GFI outlet.
KA1LDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 04:33:23 AM »

There is no GFI, just common outlets.  I did suspect that it may have been a faulty AFCI since it is the only one that trips.  Although it is possible that it was installed incorrectly since we found a GFI outlet in our crawlspace that was wired backwards causing a low voltage on a string of outlets.  Thanks everyone for your feedback.
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »

I have been having trouble with tripping my neighbor's ETON AFCIs when I transmit on 17 meters.  I have sent two of these breakers to the ARRL and W1AW tripped both when they transmitted on 17 and 20 meters.  These combination AFCI's all have a real problem.  The ARRL is working with EATON to try to determine a fix.  They will NOT publish any information in QST to inform other hams of these problems.  BTW, I read on another forum that Leviton is now marketing a wall outlet with AFCI's built in and other hams have reported problems with them also.  Please, if you have had this problem, email Kay Cragie, ARRL President and Dave Summer, ARRL CEO that you have experienced this problem.  Include the Make and model of the AFCI and what bands and power levels you were using.  Maybe if enough hams bug the ARRL they will at least explain why they won't publish the info in QST.  THIS IS A BIGGER THREAT TO HAM RADIO THAN BPL!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: