Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco DR-610T Won't Turn On - No Power  (Read 9525 times)
W4JST

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »

I have an Alinco DR-610T that does nothing when I hit the power button. I know I am getting power through the fuse and to the radio.

Where should I check for what?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »

Is the cable to the front panel connected correctly? Do you have sufficient voltage at the radio input?
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »

Hi,

Yes, voltage is fine 12-14 volts at the board.

I checked front panel connections. Everything seems fine. I do not have another cable to try.

Any other ideas?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »

If the radio had a reverse diode protection, I would measure out the diode in case the cables were connected in reverse. If it is that, you are looking are a minor fix for a few dollars.

Check for any internal battery. Some radios act weird if their memory battery goes dead.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »

There is a diode from B+ to ground (DSA3A1) but no series diode. So this can be excluded. It's always good to have a schematic  Wink
I'd first check each wire of the cable for conductivity, i.e. carefully pull the cable and measure resistance. You also might check if at the connector CN301 pin 17 the 13.8V can be found just with the power supply connected to the radio. If not the diode U1BC44 could be the reason. This one is in series for the supply to the sub CPU board. Also the power switch itself could just not give contact.
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

I assume there's supposed to be a ribbon cable going from CN301 to CN604? There's not.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

According to the schematic there must be a connection from the main to the sub cpu unit. Did the rig ever work or did you get it in that condition?
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »

I just bought it at a hamfest. The guy claimed it worked 100%. I get it and it won't even power on. Maybe I just need that little ribbon cable?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »

Let me guess: He sold you the rig 20 bucks, the cable is 200 now?
Without this cable you got no chance. What a disappointing experience. I hope this was not a ham.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 06:06:24 AM »

I just bought it at a hamfest. The guy claimed it worked 100%. I get it and it won't even power on. Maybe I just need that little ribbon cable?

I am hearing this more and more. From now on, if it is a ham, I am getting his call sign. Not that that will help.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 06:44:53 AM »

If someone does that the call sign will not be valid  Wink
If you can`t test it forget it.
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »

Well, Alinco I guess now GRE America said I can't get that ribbon cable from them anymore. The guy was nice enough to tell me I could buy a 24 or 28 conductor or something from them and trim it to fit my 20 conductor slot. I assume it would be the correct width and all. The part is $2.56 but they have a $10 parts minimum and $9 shipping so a $2 cable becomes $20. No problem I am also looking for a face for my Alinco DR-235 unless someone has other suggestions as to where I could get either of these parts. Hopefully the ribbon cable is all the 610T needs. Thanks for the help.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

Well, Alinco I guess now GRE America said I can't get that ribbon cable from them anymore. The guy was nice enough to tell me I could buy a 24 or 28 conductor or something from them and trim it to fit my 20 conductor slot. I assume it would be the correct width and all. The part is $2.56 but they have a $10 parts minimum and $9 shipping so a $2 cable becomes $20. No problem I am also looking for a face for my Alinco DR-235 unless someone has other suggestions as to where I could get either of these parts. Hopefully the ribbon cable is all the 610T needs. Thanks for the help.

I do not know if this will work in that radio, but some old 1970's CBs that I used to repair, had flimsy ribbon cables to the channel selector. I ended up having to run hard wire for each leg of the ribbon. took a while, but worked. I have not seen a picture of that radio, so I cannot say.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:42:24 AM »

Sorry for your really bad experience. You certainly can use all kinds of ribbon cable. The problem is actually to locate the fitting connector. Worst case you really got to solder wire by wire. Get back here in case of further trouble. I'll keep my fingers crossed, however.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 05:27:13 AM »

Sorry for your really bad experience. You certainly can use all kinds of ribbon cable. The problem is actually to locate the fitting connector. Worst case you really got to solder wire by wire. Get back here in case of further trouble. I'll keep my fingers crossed, however.

I would solder. That might be his easiest bet.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: