Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google ads gumming up the navigation  (Read 16747 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

I use Firefox with NoScript, which is one of the Mozilla approved add-ons for Firefox and recommended as a security feature by several IT papers. I don't see any Google ads on here, if that is where you are seeing them.

That also stops "drive by" malicious software installs. "NoScript" can be annoying at times as it stops some site features working (as it is designed to), you have to specifically allow parts of a site, which can either be temporary or permanent.

Dave

I have used FireFox and their betas for many years with No Script add on. Works nicely. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

I don't know what all the fuss is about ads. Turn on the pop up blocker and you wont see the ads cause I don't see any on eham. Using IE 9 just for info.

73 wn2c Rick
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »

I have used FireFox and their betas for many years with No Script add on. Works nicely. 

I use Firefox and Thunderbird and it also works well for me with one exception.  That is, it TELLS ME when it is going to do an update, it doesn't ASK.  And that may be when I need to shut down the computer and leave quickly.  But, NO, I have to wait until Firefox (or Thunderbird) is through updating first.  For various reasons I will not leave the computer on, or even powered up, when its not in use, so this is a real burden.  For that reason, I'm looking for something else that is equally versatile but not so "BOSSY".  As others have noted though, google is NOT an option.  Picky, YES, but until they pay for the computer and its operation, I make the rules, NOT the software!.
Tom
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »

...which is why you need to look in TOOLS => OPTIONS => ADVANCED => UPDATES and configure Firefox to ask if you want to install updates.

It's an option, and if you turn off the updater completely you should click HELP => ABOUT once a week or better to let Firefox check for updates. Another good idea is to periodically click TOOLS => ADD-ONS => Check to see if your add-ons are up to date (in blue). Betcha' you have a few that could use a re-up.

Thunderbird has similar utilities but the menu bar wording may differ slightly.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KB7XU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »

I'm having the same grief using IE7.   Angry   If I click the menu button next to the forward/back navigation buttons at the top left of the page, I often see as many as 5 https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net.page listed on top of the page I want to return to.  I can then just click the target page I want and go directly to it.

However, that's just a work-around to a highly annoying "feature" of Google ad crap.  I should be able to use my hardware in the manner I wish, i.e., just using the backspace button, without all the extra steps.     Cry   
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »

Just a suggestion--dump IE and get Firefox.  Even without the add-ons to block the ads, Firefox works a whole lot better.  So, for that matter does the Thunderbird e-mail client over the Live! set of clients.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: