Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New King of The Hill!  (Read 2632 times)
W8GP

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:29:38 AM »

I was browsing the Sherwood Engineering receiver tests yesterday and noticed new entries for the Yaesu FT-950 and the Elecraft KX-3.I was suprised to see the KX-3 at the top of the heap, beating out both the FT-5000 and the K-3. Although there many other factors that go into a radio that must be considered besides receiver performance, and it's a little small for my taste, it sure is an impressive little box! And the price is right! I can't wait to see the full write-up on what appears to be a promising radio.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:21 AM »

SDR is truly the way to go for the best selectivity.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »

If SDR systems are the way to go then why are SDR systems no higher than 4th place?

Tanakasan
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

If SDR systems are the way to go then why are SDR systems no higher than 4th place?

Tanakasan

The KX3 is an SDR.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:07:52 AM »

SDR is in it's infancy.  SDR is the future.  (Please write this down someplace so I can get credit for it later)  Roll Eyes
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »

People were saying that in conferences 25 years ago.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

RZP:  Yes, I know that but now SDR is a reality and once something becomes real then the advancements snowball.  Look at aircraft during the past 100 years.

I think the last time I heard a similar argument about technological advancement "that will never catch on" was SSB!   Grin

I doubt if you and I will see it Peter, but it will happen!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »

The only SDR I've listened too seemed to me to have harsh audio.

G3SJX, who does a lot of detailed reviews for RSGB's RadCom magazine, told me that a number he'd tested had an interesting IMD response. With relatively small inputs, the 3rd order IMD signal popped up a few dB above noise floor, and stayed there as the input level increased until the overload point was reached.

The other year (possibly January 2010), there was quite a bit in RadCom from a pair of VKs who had done a lot of work in this area: again, the IMD performance was totally different to that of an analogue rx. All very interesting.

N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »

I have used two sdr rigs and they have the most clean audio I have had yet from a ham rig, not to say all sdr are outstanding in audio clarity just that these two in particular are worthy, clean local oscillators also help. They revealed to me that there are many hams out there with crummy signals full of rf or fming or too much mic gain or whatever. When you compare sdr rigs to analog it may help to be selective of the signals you wish to compare by.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: