Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it really this complicated? TH-D72  (Read 4279 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »

Got a TH-D72 last week and have it receiving APRS just great. However it rarely transmits and I cannot figure out why. I have both MCP-4A and RT Systems THD72 programmer loaded BTW. Used the instructions on page 17 of the in depth manual and it transmitted once.
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N8FNR&limit=50&view=normal .
Found that odd so I fiddled with the settings and it transmitted 5 times and stopped.
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N8FNR-1&limit=50&view=normal
Tried fiddling again with the settings and changed the SSID to N8FNR-7 and cannot get it to transmit.

Another weird thing is that the audio for channels 300-306 is muted. I have the NOAA WX frequencies programmed there as I like to use them to listen for openings but I cannot hear the local station here, KEC-63 but the display says that it is full strength.

Thanks
Zack
N8FNR
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »

How far are you from a digipeater?  I thought mine was broken cause I could receive data but it wouldn't transmit.  Then I realized I needed an amp.  Then it worked better.  Also.  Make sure the GPS is turned on.  I have had these problems....till I figured out it was me.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »

In case you haven't figured it out, yes, it really is that complicated.

The APRS protocol is a very compact and efficient means of encoding information, but user-friendly (at least to the vast majority of those who seem to be interested in it), it's not. It takes me back to my bit-twiddling days as a software engineer working on communication protocols. If I'd not had that experience, I'm sure I'd still be wondering how it all works. That's not to say a few years of communication protocol hacking are required to figure it out, but it sure helped me.

Good luck!
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »

Do you have smart beaconing turned on? If so, it will only transmit when you make a significant change in speed or direction. If you are sitting on the couch, it will never update your status. :-)
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I joined the TH-D72 group on Yahoo, got some help and all is well now. Also found a lot of great documents on APRS. I found APRS interesting enough that I ordered an AVMap Geosat 6 this week.

Zack
N8FNR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: