Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This weeks DXCC Sleuth = Mt. Athos  (Read 6691 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2012, 05:15:36 AM »

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/mythical-mount-athos/
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:46:03 AM »

It's a very nice piece by the Sleuth but the behavior by the Greeks is very shameful. Chod Harris makes it sound as if it's the average Greek amateur blocking these expeditions, but I can't see how the pressure to take away credit from the German station and to block the Italians from doing their propagation study is not coming from the Religious of Mt. Athos. I base that on 5 years and 2 days of Catholic school.

Why would some Greek bureaucrat care if some hams operated from Mt. Athos?  As I write, Greek bureaucrats have a lot more important things on their plates than petty DX disputes. Their economy is in the toilet.

It's also interesting that the last Greek operation was in 1987 and although they stated they wanted to go back they never have been back.

I think the Slueth, if he is really worthy of the name, should find out exactly who is blocking operations from Mt. Athos. I want the story behind the story!

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:12 AM »

I think the Slueth, if he is really worthy of the name, should find out exactly who is blocking operations from Mt. Athos. I want the story behind the story!

I think you should first read Elder Monk Apollo's Blog. That contains the current status of the entity. You will find that since he works for up to 16 hours a day that when he does get on the air - its a gift. I can't imagine he would have the time to even coordinate trying to host large dxpeditions.

One thing that I have done is developed a network of people who know the "behind the scenes" stories. As I mentioned in this blog - and others - once I post a blog, I usually get a couple days flood of juicy tidbits from many different sources - some very critical of the DXCC program, and believe me - _every_ entity seems to have some form of controversy. After hearing what I have - after just a few blogs in this series I learned one thing that is probably the best lesson regarding DXCC - it ain't perfect, it ain't very logical, but its fun - even with all of its warts and wrinkles - and I will either play by its (sometimes crazy) rules, or not bother with it at all. And - since Ham Radio is priority #4 in my life - its "just a hobby" no matter how passionate I get about it. Designing antennas and testing them is more important to me than DXCC awards. By a big margin.

Another source is that I work right up the street from the W6CF Library and Archives which are housed in the old KRE studio in Berkeley (Wolfman Jack is reported to have done a stint here):

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/

But one thing I will NEVER do is mix politics, religion or thinly veiled personal attacks in any post related to ham radio. My elmers back in the 70's warned me to stay away from such topics, and instead, uphold the credo to "be an ambassador".

My elmers were gentleman, people who always took the high road, and whom I still try to emulate as much as possible.

But as I said - if I uncover more facts that tell "the rest of the story" about an entity - and do it in a positive manner, the blogs will be updated.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:25:06 AM by KY6R » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »

But as I said - if I uncover more facts that tell "the rest of the story" about an entity - and do it in a positive manner, the blogs will be updated.

If you aren't going to post the truth what's the sense of you writing and we reading?  For example, if you found out is was the Greek Orthodox Church or even Apollo who was blocking the expeditions would you not write that because you deem it not positive?

As I wrote previously,  I went to Catholic School for a long enough time to know that a Priest or a Nun can be just as petty as a layperson, perhaps even more so.  That applies to all religions because human behavior is the same regardless of religion.

I don't have any secret sources and I have nothing against Monk Apollo but I do have common sense.  That the Greek amateurs were never allowed back on Mt. Athos should tell you all you need to know.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:25:40 AM by NU1O » Logged
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »

Just a historical note:  Chod Harris is went SK in December of 1999 due to a heart attack at the age of only 50.  He is remembered as the editor of the DX Bulletin and CQ magazine's DX column.  I had the pleasure of meeting Chod, (VP2ML and WB2CHO) at the DX convention in Visalia in the late '80s.  The article by Chod is well over ten years old now and a number of things have transpired regarding Mt Athos, Apollo and the ARRL since it was authored.  I think it is likely at the time the article was penned by Chod that he was treading lightly and speaking in generalites and euphemisms in order not to anger certain parties that were inclined to shut Athos down to amateur radio entirely.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »

Just a historical note:  Chod Harris is went SK in December of 1999 due to a heart attack at the age of only 50.  He is remembered as the editor of the DX Bulletin and CQ magazine's DX column.  I had the pleasure of meeting Chod, (VP2ML and WB2CHO) at the DX convention in Visalia in the late '80s.  The article by Chod is well over ten years old now and a number of things have transpired regarding Mt Athos, Apollo and the ARRL since it was authored.  I think it is likely at the time the article was penned by Chod that he was treading lightly and speaking in generalites and euphemisms in order not to anger certain parties that were inclined to shut Athos down to amateur radio entirely.

Every entity that I have written about so far has caused at least one person to tell me that that entity never should have been added to the list - and they tell me why. And I then get another email where someone is a proponent of that same entity and gives the logic why it should be on the list.

These end up canceling out - and in the end, my conclusion becomes "It is what it is".

I am going to go to the KRE studios this weekend and start reading W6CF's personal notes regarding the DXCC program. I never met him myself, but have been told he was quite the DX-er and gentleman. I very much look forward to his historical notes, and if I find any facts that should be added to the Sleuth blog - I will add them.

I also won't shy away from controversy - if any reader comments they think an entity shouldn't be on the list - or that it should - and they do it in a civil and thoughtful manner - I will approve these sort of comments.

The feedback I have received so far has been overwhelmingly positive - and as long as that is the case, I'll keep doing it. if it becomes a waste of time, I won't.
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

Rich, there is a very large controversy over Mt. Athos and why a DXpedition cannot get permission to operate from there. That is why I recently suggested to you that you slueth Mt. Athos, but you have not dug deep enough.

Monk Apollo may be too busy to operate. Heck, he hasn't updated his blog in three years. We know that he does not stay up late enough to work the West Coast.

There is one main central figure that is the hold up and has prevented activity by Greeks, other Europeans and Americans. This central figure has his reasons but has not announced them (though there is plenty of speculation)

I urge you to dig deeper in your sluething of this entity.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »

Rich, there is a very large controversy over Mt. Athos and why a DXpedition cannot get permission to operate from there. That is why I recently suggested to you that you slueth Mt. Athos, but you have not dug deep enough.

Monk Apollo may be too busy to operate. Heck, he hasn't updated his blog in three years. We know that he does not stay up late enough to work the West Coast.

There is one main central figure that is the hold up and has prevented activity by Greeks, other Europeans and Americans. This central figure has his reasons but has not announced them (though there is plenty of speculation)

I urge you to dig deeper in your sluething of this entity.

I'll make you a deal - email me a lead - and I will follow up on it. I have had two leads and one very crafty idea on how to get a Q with Apollo - and forget about it. Zero, ziltch, nada. All roadblocks, and with the air of secrecy.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:48:10 AM by KY6R » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »

If you know who is responsible why don't you just say who it is?  Why does the job have to be farmed out to Rich?  Last I checked this was still a free country with free speech.

It's not very fair that one man monopolizes a DX entity. 

Has anybody given thought to what happens when Apollo dies?  I doubt those religious folks are going to want a lot of tourists playing radio on their mountain.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »

Why does the job have to be farmed out to Rich? 

Because you said this:

"I think the Slueth, if he is really worthy of the name, should find out exactly who is blocking operations from Mt. Athos. I want the story behind the story!"

Shocked

MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »

A one man DXCC entity, huh? Nice if you can get the gig!

I know ops who have been trying for years to put this one on air without much luck. Indeed, I know ops today who are trying.

Col, MM0NDX
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »

DId you ever find out exactly why it was added to the list?  I don't really see that covered in the blog postings.

John AF5CC
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »

I know ops who have been trying for years to put this one on air without much luck. Indeed, I know ops today who are trying.

Col, MM0NDX

Stay tuned - I will be updating my blog with any information I get as far as leads go. Some are just starting to roll in - and this is a day before Bernie will provide a link to my blog in the Daily DX. Once he provides that link - the flood gates open up - as they have each of the past few weeks.

Actually, for free, I already posted your link to DX World/twitter and FB page. I guess I can add a Dx Sleuth link too on site!

Col, MM0NDX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

Col, MM0NDX

Stay tuned - I will be updating my blog with any information I get as far as leads go. Some are just starting to roll in - and this is a day before Bernie will provide a link to my blog in the Daily DX. Once he provides that link - the flood gates open up - as they have each of the past few weeks.

Actually, for free, I already posted your link to DX World/twitter and FB page. I guess I can add a Dx Sleuth link too on site!

Col, MM0NDX

Thanks Col - I think DX World is really fantastic. One of the absolute best DX news venues . . .

OK - Chris and Paul have challenged me to "dig deeper", and so I have. Armed with some new leads, plus me finding a historical goldmine of past Mt. Athos dx-peditions I ask the very obvious question (which you need to go to the blog to find out what this question is) . . . . . .
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:25:23 PM by KY6R » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »

Rich- are you taking sleuthing requests?  I want to learn more about BV9 or Pratas.  I have a Taiwanese citizenship (along with the U.S.) so I'm naturally curious about it.  It's listed on clublog as #22 and I'm sure much higher for NA.  The island is controlled by the military of ROC.  According to wikipedia there's ample facility to house a major dxpedition.  The last activation by a dxpedition was BQ9P in 2003.  What I want to know is why there hasn't been another activation for nine years.

I don't mean to hijack this thread.  Of course I'm also interested in the Mt. Athos discussion.  Nice work on the sleuthing.

Jonathan W6GX

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: