Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This weeks DXCC Sleuth = Mt. Athos  (Read 5164 times)
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »

If you know who is responsible why don't you just say who it is?  Why does the job have to be farmed out to Rich?  Last I checked this was still a free country with free speech.

It's not very fair that one man monopolizes a DX entity. 

Has anybody given thought to what happens when Apollo dies?  I doubt those religious folks are going to want a lot of tourists playing radio on their mountain.

Chris/NU1O

To add another controversy to it. I hope that one day SV2ASP/A will explain why he is ignoring the direct QSL requests from Z3 and refusing to confirm Qso's for his fellow neighbors? While I lived in Macedonia I worked this guy twice. Sent him two direct requests (SAE + $2) and never got anything in return. Rumor has it that he told some of the visiting HAM's to Mt. Athos that "No Z3 HAM will ever get a card from him".

73 Dragan K0AP
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »

Probably not going to get a lot of praise for this comment, but that's OK.....  I wonder why we even have to know why.  Sometimes things are better left to more or less "stew in their own juices".  Some stones need to be left unturned. Many, if not most, times when the answer unfolds someone is going to be hurt or dissapointed. And even then, the answer may not be "THE" answer. Make any sense?

I remember the 70s hit by a group named Coven.  The song was "One Tin Soldier". Kinda relates to my feelings on things that should or should not be public information. If you have not heard it, you might like it at :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mASbP3Eq1VE .
I dont know, maybe the old intelligence community habits coming back to me. Huh  73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »

Probably not going to get a lot of praise for this comment, but that's OK.....  I wonder why we even have to know why.  Sometimes things are better left to more or less "stew in their own juices".  Some stones need to be left unturned. Many, if not most, times when the answer unfolds someone is going to be hurt or dissapointed. And even then, the answer may not be "THE" answer. Make any sense?

I could not disagree more, Gene.

I am a ultra-conservative as far as the national defense and I hate it when intelligence sources and methods are made public. For example, too much was made public about Bin Laden's assassination by the Seal team, but even I admit the Intel agencies abused their power back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's. I agree with that old adage that publicity is the greatest disinfectant against abuse of power. Let the chips fall where they may!

If Rich or Paul find out, or already know, who is really stopping expeditions from Mt. Athos I think publicity is the best policy. Nobody is going to get physically hurt by reporting the truth. They may get embarrassed but if the behavior warrants embarrassment so be it. Trust me, this is only a secret to those of us not in the loop. There are plenty of amateurs who already know what's going on atop the "Holy Mountain".

Where you in MI or one of the alphabet agencies, or is that classified?   Wink

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

To add another controversy to it. I hope that one day SV2ASP/A will explain why he is ignoring the direct QSL requests from Z3 and refusing to confirm Qso's for his fellow neighbors? While I lived in Macedonia I worked this guy twice. Sent him two direct requests (SAE + $2) and never got anything in return. Rumor has it that he told some of the visiting HAM's to Mt. Athos that "No Z3 HAM will ever get a card from him".

73 Dragan K0AP

I highly recommend the Wikipedia article (KY6R posted a link) about Mt. Athos. That is a very complicated situation on Mt. Athos, to say the least. Previously to reading the Wiki article I had thought they everybody was Greek Orthodox but there are Monks from five countries on Mt. Athos.  Aside from the Greeks there are Russians, Serbs, Bulgarians, and Romanians. 

The Wikipedia article read like a John le Carre novel detailing plenty of political intrigue over the centuries.  There is also a lot of controversy in Europe about Mt. Athos because women are not allowed on the "Holy Mountain".

During WWll the four member executive committee personally appealed to Hitler to put Mt. Athos under his personal protection which he agreed to do, however, they broke their no women policy (and I guest betrayed their protector) during the war by hiding Jewish families from the Nazis. 

I reiterate it is a very interesting read.

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »

I could not disagree more, Gene.

I am a ultra-conservative as far as the national defense and I hate it when intelligence sources and methods are made public. For example, too much was made public about Bin Laden's assassination by the Seal team, but even I admit the Intel agencies abused their power back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's. I agree with that old adage that publicity is the greatest disinfectant against abuse of power. Let the chips fall where they may!

If Rich or Paul find out, or already know, who is really stopping expeditions from Mt. Athos I think publicity is the best policy. Nobody is going to get physically hurt by reporting the truth. They may get embarrassed but if the behavior warrants embarrassment so be it. Trust me, this is only a secret to those of us not in the loop. There are plenty of amateurs who already know what's going on atop the "Holy Mountain".

Where you in MI or one of the alphabet agencies, or is that classified?   Wink

Chris/NU1O

No problem Chris, and I understand and respect your take on this as well.  I guess what is bugging me a little about this one is a rumor or two, which I wont go into. I would just hate to see parts of the BS get mixed in with the truth, which happens quite often. It's so easy to get questionable info in with valid stuff. Just Ask Colin Powell!

If, and only if, everything that is brought to light is positively valid and has quoteable source(s) and verifiable provenance, then I think we would all be better off for knowing it. I believe that is the direction in which Rich is headed. I just know IF that particular rumor is...... well, I will hold up on that.

Naw, I was not a super spook Cool (or maybe I was Roll Eyes).... ASA for 6 years and NSA for a few more after ETS.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 06:12:35 PM »

Rich, I would suggest that you try to run down a copy of Monk Apollo's letter to the ARRL demanding that they not accredit Baldur, DJ6SI's expedition to Mt Athos in 1991.  It reveals a lot about Apollo's attitude toward allowing operations from there.  For a while it was available on the internet, but some determined Googling failed to turn it up.  From memory I think it was posted on a DX club website, though I maybe wrong about that.  It's possible that it has been removed now and may be very difficult to find.

http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/MountAthos/dj6si.htm

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »

Rich- are you taking sleuthing requests?  I want to learn more about BV9 or Pratas.  I have a Taiwanese citizenship (along with the U.S.) so I'm naturally curious about it.  It's listed on clublog as #22 and I'm sure much higher for NA.  The island is controlled by the military of ROC.  According to wikipedia there's ample facility to house a major dxpedition.  The last activation by a dxpedition was BQ9P in 2003.  What I want to know is why there hasn't been another activation for nine years.

I don't mean to hijack this thread.  Of course I'm also interested in the Mt. Athos discussion.  Nice work on the sleuthing.

Jonathan W6GX

Sure - no problem. I remember working BQ9P - it was a really great operation. I will look into Pratas very soon. Next one up is Heard Island - something I have a lot of information on . . . . . hi hi
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »

Rich, I would suggest that you try to run down a copy of Monk Apollo's letter to the ARRL demanding that they not accredit Baldur, DJ6SI's expedition to Mt Athos in 1991.  It reveals a lot about Apollo's attitude toward allowing operations from there.  For a while it was available on the internet, but some determined Googling failed to turn it up.  From memory I think it was posted on a DX club website, though I maybe wrong about that.  It's possible that it has been removed now and may be very difficult to find.

http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/MountAthos/dj6si.htm

I just tried to find it via several Google searches as well - and Nada. I will see if its in the W6CF library this weekend. That would be a very, very interesting letter for sure.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:41:00 PM by KY6R » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »

But as I said - if I uncover more facts that tell "the rest of the story" about an entity - and do it in a positive manner, the blogs will be updated.

If you aren't going to post the truth what's the sense of you writing and we reading?  For example, if you found out is was the Greek Orthodox Church or even Apollo who was blocking the expeditions would you not write that because you deem it not positive?

As I wrote previously,  I went to Catholic School for a long enough time to know that a Priest or a Nun can be just as petty as a layperson, perhaps even more so.  That applies to all religions because human behavior is the same regardless of religion.

I don't have any secret sources and I have nothing against Monk Apollo but I do have common sense.  That the Greek amateurs were never allowed back on Mt. Athos should tell you all you need to know.

Chris/NU1O

Having a friend who has been involved with several major DXpeditions, I can say that they are a somewhat "dirty" business.  If Monk Apollo would have the time to actively block a DXpedition, I would be shocked. 

BTW, it's a HOBBY at the end of the day, relax.  Perhaps you need to go party with Michael Phelps.   

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »

Rich- are you taking sleuthing requests?  I want to learn more about BV9 or Pratas.  I have a Taiwanese citizenship (along with the U.S.) so I'm naturally curious about it.  It's listed on clublog as #22 and I'm sure much higher for NA.  The island is controlled by the military of ROC.  According to wikipedia there's ample facility to house a major dxpedition.  The last activation by a dxpedition was BQ9P in 2003.  What I want to know is why there hasn't been another activation for nine years.

I don't mean to hijack this thread.  Of course I'm also interested in the Mt. Athos discussion.  Nice work on the sleuthing.

Jonathan W6GX

Sure - no problem. I remember working BQ9P - it was a really great operation. I will look into Pratas very soon. Next one up is Heard Island - something I have a lot of information on . . . . . hi hi

Thanks.  Nine years is a long time and I hope to work this one for ATNO.  It would also be an exciting dxpedition for NA hams should it go on the air.

Jonathan W6GX
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 06:34:40 AM »

I was able to find some old emails and Usenet postings re: Baldur's operation

First, from the April 22, 1991 OPDX bulletin:
SY, MOUNT ATHOS. GEE! There is so much confusion on this one, I do not
know where to start. The week started with SY/DJ6SI showing up on April
14 on 21024 KHz around 1730Z. Many began calling this a SLIM operation.
Even George, SV2UA, QSL Manager for SV2ASP/A, Apollo, was heard saying
this operation was not authorized by the appropriate people. Neverless,
remember the most important rule: Work First Worry Later! Well the truth
of the matter is, thanks to QRZ DX, Baldur is in Mount Athos which was
confirmed by Baldur's wife and N5TP. Now let's hope Baldur has the
proper documentation and authorization, which will please many CW
operators. QSL vis DJ6SI. Apollo, SV2ASP/A, continues to be active on
the 21335 Net around 1600 to 1830Z several times throughout the week.
This operation still has not been approved for DXCC credit.
Documentation is suppose to be in the works.

Next, an email posted to the NJDXA Email List by W0YG in 2003:

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:05:24 -0700

There have been guest operations from Mt. Athos in the past.  In 1987, SV2TX
and SV2UA operated from there.  In 1991 DJ6SI operated.  I would bet there
were a few operations before 1987 by guest operators.  A major problem with
guest operators arose after Baldur's operation.  I am recalling from memory,
which isn't so good these days, but Baldur had the permission of someone in
authority on Mt. Athos, perhaps not the proper person but nevertheless a
person of authority, to operate and had the documents as proof that he was
authorized to operate.  He even, again if I recall correctly, stayed at this
Monk's house.  I think Baldur even invoked a portion of the CEPT treaty
which was in force and effect with Greece as a signatory.  Mt. Athos is
probably not recognized as a separate country by Greece hence it covered Mt.
Athos.

This was a loophole in the system and graciously ARRL allowed it to count.
It was not a Romeo in North Korea type loophole but a circumstance where
permission to operate was obtained albeit perhaps the wrong person issued
the permission.  Wrong person in the eyes of the Monastery but correct in
the eyes of the law at that time.

Anyhow, there arose such a stink from Baldur's operation, rightly or
wrongly, that guest ops were terminated.  I think that stopped the
visitation privileges of radio operators.

It is a frustrating situation to be sure.  On one hand, we all want Monk
Apollo to be quite active but on the other hand, perhaps we realize it is
not the normal situation we interface with when it comes to radio amateur
activity.  The one constant in radio DXCCing is hang in there because it
will probably change but who knows when!

Charlie, W0YG

So it seems like maybe Baldur got permission to operate from someone other than who he was supposed to get it from. Maybe the individual granting the invalid permission was ignorant of the rules in place. Maybe Baldur knowingly went over Monk Apollo's head because he knew he could not get permission directly from him. Who knows, we can only speculate. And when we do track down that letter, it's just another side to the story!

I love this stuff.

James
W4HFK

ex W4HFK
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 06:51:14 AM »

I was able to find some old emails and Usenet postings re: Baldur's operation

First, from the April 22, 1991 OPDX bulletin:
SY, MOUNT ATHOS. GEE! There is so much confusion on this one, I do not
know where to start. The week started with SY/DJ6SI showing up on April
14 on 21024 KHz around 1730Z. Many began calling this a SLIM operation.
Even George, SV2UA, QSL Manager for SV2ASP/A, Apollo, was heard saying
this operation was not authorized by the appropriate people. Neverless,
remember the most important rule: Work First Worry Later! Well the truth
of the matter is, thanks to QRZ DX, Baldur is in Mount Athos which was
confirmed by Baldur's wife and N5TP. Now let's hope Baldur has the
proper documentation and authorization, which will please many CW
operators. QSL vis DJ6SI. Apollo, SV2ASP/A, continues to be active on
the 21335 Net around 1600 to 1830Z several times throughout the week.
This operation still has not been approved for DXCC credit.
Documentation is suppose to be in the works.

Next, an email posted to the NJDXA Email List by W0YG in 2003:

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:05:24 -0700

There have been guest operations from Mt. Athos in the past.  In 1987, SV2TX
and SV2UA operated from there.  In 1991 DJ6SI operated.  I would bet there
were a few operations before 1987 by guest operators.  A major problem with
guest operators arose after Baldur's operation.  I am recalling from memory,
which isn't so good these days, but Baldur had the permission of someone in
authority on Mt. Athos, perhaps not the proper person but nevertheless a
person of authority, to operate and had the documents as proof that he was
authorized to operate.  He even, again if I recall correctly, stayed at this
Monk's house.  I think Baldur even invoked a portion of the CEPT treaty
which was in force and effect with Greece as a signatory.  Mt. Athos is
probably not recognized as a separate country by Greece hence it covered Mt.
Athos.

This was a loophole in the system and graciously ARRL allowed it to count.
It was not a Romeo in North Korea type loophole but a circumstance where
permission to operate was obtained albeit perhaps the wrong person issued
the permission.  Wrong person in the eyes of the Monastery but correct in
the eyes of the law at that time.

Anyhow, there arose such a stink from Baldur's operation, rightly or
wrongly, that guest ops were terminated.  I think that stopped the
visitation privileges of radio operators.

It is a frustrating situation to be sure.  On one hand, we all want Monk
Apollo to be quite active but on the other hand, perhaps we realize it is
not the normal situation we interface with when it comes to radio amateur
activity.  The one constant in radio DXCCing is hang in there because it
will probably change but who knows when!

Charlie, W0YG

So it seems like maybe Baldur got permission to operate from someone other than who he was supposed to get it from. Maybe the individual granting the invalid permission was ignorant of the rules in place. Maybe Baldur knowingly went over Monk Apollo's head because he knew he could not get permission directly from him. Who knows, we can only speculate. And when we do track down that letter, it's just another side to the story!

I love this stuff.

James
W4HFK

Very interesting. Baldur has given me many new ATNO's, and its a real shame this sort of horse hockey happens. When I do find that letter - I will add both sides of this story to the blog.

There was a rumor that the operator who knocked off a whole bunch of Q's this past spring must have been a guest op - but that is just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

Mt. Athos remains "Mythical" . . . .  Wink
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »

There was a rumor that the operator who knocked off a whole bunch of Q's this past spring must have been a guest op - but that is just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

I worked Apollo in April and May of this year, SSB and CW. The card(s) for the spring operations were signed by APOLLO.  Nothing mentioned about anyone else. So, at least you gave credence to the fact that it is only a RUMOR.   73, Gene AF3Y
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 07:08:55 AM »

AHA!!

Monk Apollo's letter was posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc on Usenet... I figured searching Usenet archives was the best way to find it. Sorry for the bad formatting.

FROM: MONK APOLLO (SV2ASP/A)               TO: A.R.R.L, DXCC DESK
             DOHIARIOU MONASTRY                       225, MAIN ST.
             630-87, MOUNT ATHOS                      CT 06111
             GREECE                                   U.S.A.

July 1, 1992

Dear Sirs,

I  did  send  you,  a long time ago, a  letter  with  all  the
       official  papers  in which I prove that the transmissions of  the
       German  radio  amateur BALDUR DROBNICA (DJ6SI) from  Mount  Athos
       were  illegal.  Unfortunatelly, until now I did not  receive  any
       regular reply from you.
          DJ6SI,  who  overall  illegally imported his  transceivers  in
       Mount  Athos,  instead of understanding his mistake and  ask  for
       apology,  because  he  challenges an  international  scandal,  he
       continues his acts, with the same slyness.
          The last act was to write an article in QST, probably the most
       official  magazine,  which  was published together with  a  photo
       showing the cell in which he was hospitalized. The photo pictures
       him and a monk (named Damaskinos), aside the bells of the cell.
          The monk sent a letter to QST and me. I enclose a photocopy of
       that letter to you.
          In  other  articles that were published, DJ6SI mentions  about
       the  CEPT  Licence, but he is not telling the truth; he  explains
       the rules of CEPT LICENCE, the way that fits his purposes!
          I asked the European Community (E.E.C.) to send a copy of this
       licence  to  me. I posted you a photocopy, in order to  show  you
       which is the truth and which is DJ6SI's false point of view.

Dear Sirs,
          All the official papers relative to the subject are registered
       in  the  files that the HOLY COMMUNITY OF MOUNT ATHOS, the  GREEK
       MINISTRY   OF   EXTRENAL   AFFAIRS,   the   GREEK   MINISTRY   OF
       COMMUNICATIONS,  the  GREEK RADIO AMATEUR ASSOCIATION  (R.A.A.G.)
       keep,  as  they are waiting for the last fair solution, that  you
       will  finally  cancel those transmissions DJ6SI made  from  Mount
       Athos.
           The  Holy  Community, with which I'm in continue contact,  is
       very  irritated and disappointed with the handling of the problem
       and  informed me that they decided, that in the future they  will
       not  permit to Greeks or foreigners make any transmissions  again
       from Mount Athos, except the monks of Mount Athos.
          Persons   and  events  like  this,  disturb  the  peace,   the
       regularity  and  the prays in Mount Athos; these things that  all
       the  people of the World have respected for more than 1000  years
       and will respect forever.
          As  a  result, give this fair solution, because otherwise  you
       will  continuate these kind of problems, as many more will try to
       do the same and with the same shifty, mean way, that DJ6SI did.
          Well,  in  this Holy place anything has to be done with  legal
       methods, if we want to have the bless of GOD.
          I  want  to  believe that with the help of  GOD's  will,  this
       affair  will be finished appropriately, if we want to hear  Mount
       Athos on the air again.

With great sorrow

Monk Apollo

P.S.:
          Anything that was published concerning me and my transmissions
       from  Mount  Athos till now, is lie. Any true  informations  that
       will come will be valid only if they have a Greek signature.
          If  you don't cancel the transmission of DJ6SI, you will never
       again hear me on the air. Tnx

Looks like Monk Apollo was very upset with what Baldur did.

ex W4HFK
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 07:13:39 AM »

AHA!!

Monk Apollo's letter was posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc on Usenet... I figured searching Usenet archives was the best way to find it. Sorry for the bad formatting.

FROM: MONK APOLLO (SV2ASP/A)               TO: A.R.R.L, DXCC DESK
             DOHIARIOU MONASTRY                       225, MAIN ST.
             630-87, MOUNT ATHOS                      CT 06111
             GREECE                                   U.S.A.

July 1, 1992

Dear Sirs,

I  did  send  you,  a long time ago, a  letter  with  all  the
       official  papers  in which I prove that the transmissions of  the
       German  radio  amateur BALDUR DROBNICA (DJ6SI) from  Mount  Athos
       were  illegal.  Unfortunatelly, until now I did not  receive  any
       regular reply from you.
          DJ6SI,  who  overall  illegally imported his  transceivers  in
       Mount  Athos,  instead of understanding his mistake and  ask  for
       apology,  because  he  challenges an  international  scandal,  he
       continues his acts, with the same slyness.
          The last act was to write an article in QST, probably the most
       official  magazine,  which  was published together with  a  photo
       showing the cell in which he was hospitalized. The photo pictures
       him and a monk (named Damaskinos), aside the bells of the cell.
          The monk sent a letter to QST and me. I enclose a photocopy of
       that letter to you.
          In  other  articles that were published, DJ6SI mentions  about
       the  CEPT  Licence, but he is not telling the truth; he  explains
       the rules of CEPT LICENCE, the way that fits his purposes!
          I asked the European Community (E.E.C.) to send a copy of this
       licence  to  me. I posted you a photocopy, in order to  show  you
       which is the truth and which is DJ6SI's false point of view.

Dear Sirs,
          All the official papers relative to the subject are registered
       in  the  files that the HOLY COMMUNITY OF MOUNT ATHOS, the  GREEK
       MINISTRY   OF   EXTRENAL   AFFAIRS,   the   GREEK   MINISTRY   OF
       COMMUNICATIONS,  the  GREEK RADIO AMATEUR ASSOCIATION  (R.A.A.G.)
       keep,  as  they are waiting for the last fair solution, that  you
       will  finally  cancel those transmissions DJ6SI made  from  Mount
       Athos.
           The  Holy  Community, with which I'm in continue contact,  is
       very  irritated and disappointed with the handling of the problem
       and  informed me that they decided, that in the future they  will
       not  permit to Greeks or foreigners make any transmissions  again
       from Mount Athos, except the monks of Mount Athos.
          Persons   and  events  like  this,  disturb  the  peace,   the
       regularity  and  the prays in Mount Athos; these things that  all
       the  people of the World have respected for more than 1000  years
       and will respect forever.
          As  a  result, give this fair solution, because otherwise  you
       will  continuate these kind of problems, as many more will try to
       do the same and with the same shifty, mean way, that DJ6SI did.
          Well,  in  this Holy place anything has to be done with  legal
       methods, if we want to have the bless of GOD.
          I  want  to  believe that with the help of  GOD's  will,  this
       affair  will be finished appropriately, if we want to hear  Mount
       Athos on the air again.

With great sorrow

Monk Apollo

P.S.:
          Anything that was published concerning me and my transmissions
       from  Mount  Athos till now, is lie. Any true  informations  that
       will come will be valid only if they have a Greek signature.
          If  you don't cancel the transmission of DJ6SI, you will never
       again hear me on the air. Tnx

Looks like Monk Apollo was very upset with what Baldur did.

Thanks James! Like Paul Harvey, I can now add in "The Rest of the Story" . . . .

Funny thing is that I used to hang out on the Perl usenet news group. Its been so long - I actually forgot about those - but will go back and dig for new details on all of the entities in the DXCC Sleuth and update where it makes sense.

Rich
KY6R
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: