Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Icom 756 Series to Choose ?  (Read 1459 times)
VA3UTC

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »

I have the original Icom 756 (from new) and am now considering moving up to one of the subsequent models....Pro, Pro11 or Pro111. I don't 'really' want to spend the big bucks on the current used Pro3's that I occasionally see available ($1800 to $2200) so I'm hoping that by dropping back to the Pro or Pro11 I may save substantial bucks and still receive a hopefully noticeable improvement over my 756. Am I unwise to settle for anything less than the Pro3 or are the other 756's still greatly improved models over my original ?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

The PRO or PROII would be a big improvement, if you look at Rob Sherwood's receiver tests (www.sherweng.com).  The band scope is also much more sensitive on the PRO models, and you get a built in voice keyer as well, not the mention all of the filter options. If you look around, you should be able to find a PRO for $900 or so, or a PROII for $1200. THose are both great deals.

John AF5CC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »

The PRO or PROII would be a big improvement, if you look at Rob Sherwood's receiver tests (www.sherweng.com).  The band scope is also much more sensitive on the PRO models, and you get a built in voice keyer as well, not the mention all of the filter options. If you look around, you should be able to find a PRO for $900 or so, or a PROII for $1200. THose are both great deals.

John AF5CC

One of the color pro models was notorious for losing the color display, and the only replacement was a European company's that was like $300. If you do not need the band scope, Sherwood just tested the Yaesu FT-950, and it appears to be better than either the pro II or pro III.

The advantage is you can get a new radio for $1,400. The disadvantage is that you have to learn a new radio.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »

I had all three of them, PRO, PROII, PROIII.  The II and III have a screen saver that increases longevity of the display.  The II had better preamps, while the III had even better low-noise preamps.  If you don't want to spend too much money you could get the PRO, but keep in mind the problems some people have had with the display; and those radios are now 12 years old.  I never had a single problem with the PRO or PROIII, but the PROII did give me some problems...bad driver transistors and a PLL locking issue which meant I had to send the radio back to Icom for repair.  I've been using a 7600 for about 3 years I love the radio.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »

I would get a Pro 3 or forget it. I would want to get up to the newest most refined model of the series as I can get. I would rather wait until I could afford it or make a big effort to make it affordable i.e. sell some other gear, etc.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »

Hi
If possible I would forgo the pro series and get a 7600. The pros are nice and all but the 7600 is a more inexpensive and more recent culmination of what Icom has learned about dsp rigs and pretty much blows the pros away. The pros are fine rigs - don't get me wrong, I have one but the degree of difference betwixt them is pretty small (a few dB more sensitive or better dynamic range here and there), especially if you don't employ a preamp on hf - the ii and iii are a bit more sensitive sans preamp on hf. Apparently a lot of ops thought the pro original model wasn't sensitive enough so they always had a preamp enabled, wich may kill dynamic range in storng signal environments. In such a case the original pro does just fine. The original pro also seems to have some common flaws such as caps going bad in the nb circuit as well as poor decoupling of the nb circuit power bus causing imd, both of wich can be remedied fairly cheaply.

Some food for thought:
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/pro_notes.html
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic756pro3/pro3notes.html
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7600/7600notes.pdf

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/756pro_nb/main.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:29:26 PM by N0SYA » Logged

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
N9VO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

I think you may have it wrong. It was not the color screen models with display issues! I believe it was the original 756 (not a pro) with the monochrome display that was the problem. It would start with lines in the display and then ultimately go out. I believe that all of the pro series (pro, pro II and pro III) were safe from any display issues. Great rigs.

John AF5CC

One of the color pro models was notorious for losing the color display, and the only replacement was a European company's that was like $300. If you do not need the band scope, Sherwood just tested the Yaesu FT-950, and it appears to be better than either the pro II or pro III.

The advantage is you can get a new radio for $1,400. The disadvantage is that you have to learn a new radio.

I h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: