Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAC/PC send CW training  (Read 4841 times)
KB2VWQ

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »

Hi all,

It might be a silly question, but is there out any MAC/PC training device/software to practice sending CW? So far I have seen programs to practice receiving, but not sending the code.

Thank you, 73
Tom
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »

I'm not aware of any but when I taught myself code, I managed to hook my straight key to my computer running CW decoding software. This was on a specialized cartridge attached to a Commodore 64. It showed me that my Ys and Qs were not good.

Today I have done the same thing using my rig (with break-in OFF), a Signal-link USB (or probably most any interface for digi-modes) and my computer running DM 780 (or probably any CW decoding software). I used this setup when I was learning to use a bug a few years ago.

So, if you're set up for digi-modes, you might have everything you need right now. Just send random text or copy from an article and see how well the decoding software does. If the computer can read it, you're sending pretty good code.

Good luck,

Geoff
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:43:53 AM by AE4RV » Logged
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »

If you have an Android phone or iPhone, there are morse code readers you can use.

I have an Android phone and use "Morse Code Reader", a free app from the Google Android market. I put it next to my rigs speaker and can tap out code with the VOX turned off. There is no hardware interface. The phone just listens for your code through its microphone. The app is good, my sending isn't  Angry

Ray KJ6AMF
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »

Good suggestion, and if you use a code practice oscillator you don't need a rig.

A PC with CW GET or some such and a microphone is an option as well. If you can get a machine to understand your code you are good to go.
KB2VWQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »

Thank you for the info. It seems that a CwGet will do just fine.

Thanks, 73
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:28 AM »

Keep in mind it is natural for the computer to miss your first few characters as it adjusts to your speed. Send at a steady pace. Have some prepared text to send so that you don't have to start and stop often. Then practice making up things to say as you go along since that is how it usually works on air.
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:13:51 AM »

There is a Morse keyboard replacement called Comax. The free version is limited to ten words per limit, but the full version is about $70 as I recall. It is really cool, you hover over the spot where you want to put text with a translucent dot, then type by using your mouse as a paddle. There is a sidetone too. A google search should help you find it, then email them and they'll send the download link. 73 de Tom,ab9nz
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »

Keep in mind it is natural for the computer to miss your first few characters as it adjusts to your speed. Send at a steady pace. Have some prepared text to send so that you don't have to start and stop often. Then practice making up things to say as you go along since that is how it usually works on air.

That is sloppy programming, because you receive everything in a buffer, determine your detection criteria, and decode the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: