Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile HF antenna for Ford Ranger - Removeable  (Read 2818 times)
KC9QQM

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »

73 all,

I am hopefully going to be picking up an all mode mobile next month at a local fest and while I will be using it in my '06 Ford Ranger mainly for local 2m and 440, I would like to set up a HF antenna (single band is ok) on it that I can put on and take off easily as I need to as I don't want it permanently mounted.

So what would be good? I have not played with any mobile HF antennas before as this will be my first mobile HF rig.

Thanks,

Jeff
KC9QQM
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »

Try looking around at a single band hamstick for you're band of interest or multiple if you don't mind swapping them out. I've got a 10m one made by MFJ for my HTX-100 that ran me about $20 after shipping from Ham Radio Outlet. Have it mounted on a 3/8" CB 3-way mount on my truck's bed rails. By meaning "permanently mounted" do you mean just the antenna or the mount too? My mount is bolted on to provide better grounding (Mag mounts are a waste of time for HF because of capacitance issues). However, I only hand tighten the antenna into the mount so I can take it down without the use of tools. Though a wrench sitting under the seat helps every now and then  Wink

You would probably run into issues with trying to "temporary" mount a screwdriver antenna so a single band hamstick type might be your best bet.

Hope that helps! 73
Miles D.
KD0PBO
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

Jeff, I'd agree with Miles--a hamstick or similar is an easy and cheap way to give HF mobile a try!  A lip mount or a bumper mount, or something similar, is a good starting point.  (You may need to run a ground strap from the mount to your car, despite the mounting screws--I almost always do, too.)   The standard 3/8x24 mount is very convenient for later experimentation, and you can use it for all sorts of antennas, so it never hurts to have one on your truck.

If you haven't seen Alan's website, look at www.k0bg.com and look at LOTS of examples of antenna and radio mounting.

As Miles suggested, you don't need anything expensive or fancy to get started and give HF mobile a try!  I've got a link to my mobile setup from my qrz page; my mobile antennas are cheap and work well for 20m and above.  Give it a shot--it can be GREAT fun to work HF from the car!   73 GL!    --ken
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »

Thanks and yes I didn't clarify well, I don't mind of the mount is permanent just want to pull off the whip when needed. Ok, that sounds like an idea and I have a good hamfest coming up in a month and a week so I will search around there.

Jeff
KC9QQM
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:11:32 AM »

Jeff, the local hamfest will be a good place to look for used hamsticks (or Hustler parts).  I think a lot of people have switched to the various screwdrivers in recent years, and I always see plenty of used hamsticks and other non-screwdriver hardware at hamfests, at good prices!  It's a good way to get started.

Let us know on the forum how you're doing!  HF mobile can be a lot of fun!
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »

I agree that a "hamstick" type antenna in this case would be acceptable.  However as for a mount, have you considered a stake bed mount. There is a company in Ca. that make some of the best I've seen their site is www.geotool.com they can probably suggest which type mount would be best in your situation. Just my thoughts on the subject. Best of luck on your endeavor, have fun with HF mobile, I am using a Tar Heel HP 40A screw driver type antenna, my rig of choice is the Kenwood TS-480HX 200 watts HF+6 meters. I had this set up in my 09 Ranger, and now in my 2011 Toyota Tundra double cab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: