Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing/ restoring a relic from the past.....J.W. Miller AT-2500  (Read 1736 times)
KB8BAB

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

Yep...I picked one up, most likely paid way to much for it but I love to tinker...

With this unit the antenna coupler was missing, one of the tuning motors was missing, other one present but not installed.

To replace the antenna coupler, I went with a Wavenode HF-1. I did have to adjust the pots inside the AT-2500 to get the FWD power to read correctly although the adjustments were small.
Now on the REF power (SWR) is seems to read about .5 low towards the bottom of the scale......not sure how to fix that yet.....

Replacement motors are no longer available. I called the Autotrol company and talked to a (somewhat rude) young lady if it is possible to get a replacement. Short answer is no!
So I'm waiting for one (not a direct replacement) from Fleabay...

My question is....does anyone that owns or has owned one of these....how have they performed? Did you make any improvements? If so what were they...

Thanks and 73's...
Bart

K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »

Bart,

I had one years ago and it worked well.  If I recall correctly, mine had lived in a damp environment and I had to take the cover off and re-seat the ICs every few months or so.  It was pure laziness on my part that I didn't fix it the right way.  It was built very well and I would love to find another one some day. 

Bob, K0BT
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »

It lives!

The original motors are no longer available, these had a slip clutch build into them. I've contacted Autotrol (motor manuf) several times but no replies.

I found some 60RPM 12vdc motors and installed them (no clutch in these) so I lost the "manual ability".  Unit works fine.

Now time to spruce up the outside.

Bart, KB3HGR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: