Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Manufacturer?  (Read 3200 times)
AF5FJ

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »

These are the kinds of questions that starts bar fights, but I'm curious as to the responses they will generate:

Which manufacturer has the best reputation for their...
   HF transceivers?
   VHF/UHF HTs?
   all-bands transceivers?

Just wanting to get some input; I don't expect to get a consensus. Let the games begin!
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »

God I hope nobody goes there. This has all the qualities of a troll.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:50:57 AM »

Roll Eyes
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »

The best one is the one you have, the worst one is the one the other guy has.  Unless it happens to be the same thing you have, in which case they made a great choice.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:39:05 AM »

Another ford-chevrolet-dodge battle.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »

Reporter to football coach...........Well coach how does it look for the upcoming season?

Coach:  We are little, but we are slow.

Dick  AD4U
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »

There are 3 major manufacturers, and a couple of smaller manufacturers. I suggest you buy a rig from each of them. This way, you can say you have a rig from the best manufacturer.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »

Every major mfg makes some excellent rigs as well as some "dogs". Bottom line is that there is no one mfg that ALWAYS makes the best of any type of equipment. Of course "best" means different things to different people and that muddies the waters even more. Regardless of the mfg, it is not unusual for them to release a brand new design that contains some bugs and design flaws. Thats why I generally don't invest in something until it has been on the market for a while. I'd rather not function as their QC department.  Cheesy

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

so don't buy a swan three drifty, or and atlas . other than that yaesu, kenwood, icom , and alinco are all just fine.  some of the new chineese ones are cheap, but we will have to wait a couple of years to see how the hold up.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »

The best one is the one you have, the worst one is the one the other guy has.  Unless it happens to be the same thing you have, in which case they made a great choice.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
I agree 100%.  So we must be right.  Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »

Another ford-chevrolet-dodge battle.
   Didn't Toyota win that one years ago?  Smiley
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »

Motorola Tongue
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

I think the main thing to realize about different brands is their ergonomics are different. Just like cars get you from point a to b,radios do too,but how they accomplish that differs. Most will transceive from 160-10m,some from 160-6m,some 160m-70cm,etc. You may find some rigs more "user friendly" for example. It pays to read the reviews,not just 1 or 2 but 100 or 200. Then go to your nearest dealer and see what they have. Ask as many questions as you can think of,you`ll be glad you did. Dealers are very helpful,they don`t try to pressure you into buying something,they let you make that decision. The idea is you don`t want to be stuck with something you don`t like. So shop around,and I mean satisfaction,not just price.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »

These are the kinds of questions that starts bar fights, but I'm curious as to the responses they will generate....

Just wanting to get some input; I don't expect to get a consensus. Let the games begin!

This site has way too much in the way of 'barfights' already.  You were ever so right when you stated the last.

The choice of a rig is an individual's preference, arrived at by trying and using rigs until one finds the rig that he/she likes the best.  Some will visit a showroom and play with the equipment there, most ham dealers expect and even encourage it.

Another thing is the individual may well like a brand--for one or two of that brands offerings--but absolutely hate another of the models that that same brand offers.  The case of the Kenwood TS line comes to mind here.  The older offerings were very well accepted by most of the ham world, but when the TS 2000 came out, some of the people who loved the older models absolutely hated the 2000.

As I stated, it's the individual's preference.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:01 AM »

so don't buy a swan three drifty

Q: What frequency is the Swan Net on?

A: Tune to the center of the band. They'll drift by in a minute...

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: