Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a reasonable time in which to expect a QSL card?  (Read 3942 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »

I was doing some QSL paperwork record keeping yesterday. I found two QSLs I sent out over a year ago and that were never answered. I emailed one gentleman and got a quick reply asking for the details as his hard drive was taken out by lightning. The other has not replied.

Clearly one year is too long to wait for a QSL. What is considered a decent interval to wait and if the QSL is still not received to write an email followup?

I send 99% of mine out the next day although if received on a Friday it usually doesn't go out until Monday. However, I have nowhere near the volume of an expedition or a ham in a rare country with a manager.

Chris/NU1O

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »

I have quite a few cards out longer than two years.  I noticed that many of the un-answered Qs have already been confirmed on LoTW.  I don't know what is going on but I just hope that hams are not just pocketing the postage money.  That would be the equivalent of stealing.

ps these are not from countries with known postal theft problems.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »

I have quite a few cards out longer than two years.  I noticed that many of the un-answered Qs have already been confirmed on LoTW.  I don't know what is going on but I just hope that hams are not just pocketing the postage money.  That would be the equivalent of stealing.

ps these are not from countries with known postal theft problems.

Jonathan W6GX

I'm seeing the same thing, Jonathan.  When I give $2 or $3 for return postage I am doing so to pay for the costs of sending me a QSL. A LoTW confirmation is nice but that's not why I sent the money. LoTW just takes a little time, not money.

I don't have quite a few out longer than two years, that's a really long time.  I'm just curious as to what different people use as a cutoff date and then send an email asking what has happened to the QSL they were expecting.

So far my direct reply rate is in the 90 to 95 percent range based on about 1000 cards sent out. I think that's damn good and I expected a much lower rate.  I do have about 500 QSLs I need to fill out for those I received by the buro but I have put it off.

I just added a bold preface to my QRZ bio saying all stateside and overseas QSLs received direct will be returned the very same way. No postage needed in the hope of receiving more direct QSLs. I'm getting a few a week which will not break the bank. Anyway I consider it an even swap. Obviously a ham in RI or VT, or in a rare country could not afford to make that offer.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:12:19 PM by NU1O » Logged
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »

Just for giggles, I checked my list of outstanding cards.

Looks like I have a whole 3 outstanding.

Lesotho...sent Feb 3 2011 to a guy in California
No reply

Mongolia...sent April 22, 2010
I sent an e-mail one year ago today, 8-15-2011
and never rec'd a reply to the e-mail nor a card.

And of course:
Monk Apollo...First card sent Sept 30, 2011
second card sent about 2 weeks ago.

I am very surprized thats all.
Seemed like there was a bunch due, but I have been getting an
occasional card and NOT updating the list.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »

No reply

I have the same Lesotho card outstanding.  I sent the ham in CA an email but have heard nothing.

Do you know anybody in Riverside?  We could send a messenger! I'm sure many other would join us.  Wink

Chris/NU1O
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:01:29 AM »

I usually wait 6 months (unless there is some info out there that would indicate I should wait longer) for a direct reply. The Daily DX  and/or The Weekly DX is a good source to see what QSLs are coming out. So I check that list and I know when to expect the cards to arrive. Of course this forum is a good place for the big DXpeditions and rare entities. The guys here are really good about letting everybody know when their cards start arriving. Which is a good thing. If everybody here is receiving their cards and mine doesn't show up I know there is a problem. The IOTA Yahoo group is another good place. They are good about reporting when their IOTA cards come in. I get a copy of the daily posts emailed to me so I can scan the topics and see what shows up.

I know some guys get worried if a card doesn't show up in a month or two, but I think that too short a time. Many do come back quickly, but many don't.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:34:07 AM »

Unless it's a situation like w/JX5O (where life pretty much got in the way), if you are waiting more than a year for a qsl card, the conventional wisdom says that whomever you sent the card to never received your request. As for a reasonable time to expect a card, I really don't think there is one.....Even with OQRS (which expidites your request greatly, but is not totally fool proof)..You have to factor in many different things.....QSL managers have lives and jobs, etc., you know?...And then depending on where you send your card, you may have become victim to postal thieves, or there is just inefficient mail delivery......Many a time, I have been told "you need to be more patient" when it comes to this type a situation.....If you have run out of patients, I would recommend instead of dwelling about it, to resubmit your request again......The worst that could happen is that you are waiting another year.......

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:35:50 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 05:27:40 AM »

My "average" (If there is such a thing) time waiting for a card = 3 to 4 months.  Cool  73, Gene AF3Y
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:15 AM »

Hi,

I have had decent cards arrive in weeks, and some take years...  On average, about three months for me...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »

I am sure I got this link from somebody's post here, so thanks to that person.

Here is a site I sometimes visit to see what response world wide folks are having to paper QSL requests.

http://adok.dyndns.org/
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »

No reply

I have the same Lesotho card outstanding.  I sent the ham in CA an email but have heard nothing.

Do you know anybody in Riverside?  We could send a messenger! I'm sure many other would join us.  Wink

Chris/NU1O

Don't know anyone out there.
I checked his QRZ bio the other day and is still says
"BE PATIENT" because he had to log the Lesotho Q's on paper
 because
his computer crashed while he was enroute.
That card is for an ATNO for me,
so that card is rather important to me.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »

It varies for me. While I'm chasing the awards, I'm not in a big hurry.

Some of the cards I'm still waiting for are my own fault. The cards I sent to Croatia, I sent
1 IRC, but I've recently learned that they can't get enough postage with 1 IRC, so they want
2 IRCs, or $3 or $4 in green stamps. There may be a similar situation in Venezuela and
Denmark, I don't know. I hope they at least sent me QSLs via the bureau, if nothing else.

-- Tom
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »

It does vary. Depending on the award somebody needs they can choose which stations to QSL, especially those places with many amateurs. For instance for the countries listed above:

5Q2T (EU172) $3 or 1 IRC. I chose the IRC or $2.10+$1.05 (postage to Denmark)
9A8ZRS (EU110) automatic bureau - no cost
YW2OM direct or via the bureau. I chose the bureau. $1.05 (Postage to YV bureau)

That would be total postage (to and from) of $4.20 or $1.40/card.
The cost of 2 QSL cards - $.15
The cost of receiving 2 buro cards - $.14
Total cost: $4.49 or $1.50/card

Hmmmm....wow.... that's pretty anal.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »

A few months ordinarily, occasionally a year or more. In the case of VS9ASP in Aden (now deleted) it took me 37 years. Keep trying, work someone else if you can't get a card, but never give up!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:02:21 PM by W2LO » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »

I am sure I got this link from somebody's post here, so thanks to that person.

Here is a site I sometimes visit to see what response world wide folks are having to paper QSL requests.

http://adok.dyndns.org/

I have seen that site before.  Most likely by somebody from this forum putting up the link as you state (possibly you once before?).  It seems heavily skewed by Russian calls, but they are big users of the buro system and the idea was by RM4N.

I checked myself and I'm listed as a 40% responder (2 of 5), not a big sample size.  My three outstanding were ffrom 2011 QSOs.  I uploaded new data and will send out my buro cards for those received this year.

If anybody really wants to see a ham who takes QSLing very seriously (meaning he almost has a perfect 100% batting average) just type in ON4UN.  I think John still QSLs EVERY single contact he makes, including contest QSOs. I know his wife has been ill so he has a good excuse to slack off but in my last buro shipment received I still saw 3 or 4 from John.

73 es tks,

Chris/NU1O
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: