Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back with a Qrp rig  (Read 1756 times)
KJ4RQV

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »

I haven't been playing QRP for a while. I traded my Ft-817 for a Ft-450 a while ago and have tended to run it at 85-100 watts.

I guess the desire to play with a low power rig is hard to get rid of because I just received an Icom 703+ that I bought from WG0AT. I am going to give it a try again. My home antenna is a horizontal loop of about 260' at 40 feet high so that should help that 10 watt SSB signal get out.

Looking forward to talking to some of you soon!
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

Good for you and welcome back to the fold.

My favorite QRP rig for everyday shack use is my 703+ though I tend to use my "big rigs" and keep them at 5W.
Compared to my RockMites the 703 is a Cadillac. It's got what you need (AF DSP, noise blanker, option for narrow filter, good tuner, 6 meters) without being too much.

Good luck 73s de WB0FDJ
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »

The two most common reasons folk do QRP is building stuff to put on the air and portable operating.  Its easier to homebrew a QRP, or cheaper to obtain a kit at QRP than at 100 watts.  Also, a decent QRP rig will operate longer on battery power for portable operating.  If you only operate SSB, you might find that much of the time you will be drawn to higher power - so don't fret if you are not into QRP just yet. 

73 Curt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: