Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Previous Holders of W9ETE  (Read 10138 times)
W4JJA

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »

If anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated.
AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

1924  (May) - nothing listed for "9ETE"
1928  (September) - 9ETE  J. I. Boggs, 1857 S. Penn St., Denver, Co.
1938  (Spring) through 1955 (Fall) - W9ETE  Fred R. Allen of Indiana
1957 (Fall) through 1961 (Fall) - nothing listed
1962 (Fall) through 1972-73 (Winter) - W9ETE  Lowell E. Ryman of Illinois
1973-74 (Winter) through 2002 (Fall) - nothing listed
2003 (Jan) through current -   W9ETE   George S. Sherfick of Indiana

Are you related to Fred Allen ?

73, Mike - AA6RR
W4JJA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »

He is my father.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

Mike, can you help me with W7HBP, can you ding up some info. Its my late grandfahters call, I'd like to find out when he got it. I suspect he was novice and maybe had a different call prior. He has been into radio going back to the 20's. Be curious as to when this call was issued and if it was issued prior top him.

Thanks Mike. (you seem to have a great source for this info)

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »

Richard (I believe):
I think it is safe to say that your Grandfather (Theodore J. Stocking) was the only holder of the license before you were assigned the call. The Spring 1938 callbook has no W7HBP or "Stocking" listed in the 7th call area. My next callbook, the Spring of 1941 edition, shows W7HBP as your Grandfather. I have no information as to what type of license he had until they were indicated later on in the 1960s'. He was a General Class from the 60s' on. I see that he was born on 6-11-1900 and his last license expired on
10-28-1996 .

73, Mike - AA6RR
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »

Mike, thank you very much. Great info. Yes, he passed away in 1992. As an extra class, I know I can get the desirable 1X2 or 2X1, and those that are easier to send in code, but this will be my final call till I'm silent key. Great info, thank you very much.

My older brother ended up with his 1966 Mustang he bought new. It is all original, paint, hubcaps, only 47K miles, always garaged. Its a family heirloom now. I'm so glad I got his call. I just wished I had gotten my ticket before he passed away.  I took the test in Nov of 93, and in those days, took a while to get the license, which showed up in Feb of 94.

Sorry to hijack this thread.
Thanks again Mike.

AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »

The callsign and the Mustang are some real treasures. If you had just gotten both ! Hi
Best of luck.
- Mike
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »

The callsign and the Mustang are some real treasures. If you had just gotten both ! Hi
Best of luck.
- Mike

Mike, I'm next in line to be the caretaker (note I didnt use owner, as it will own me, not the other way around) of the Mustang.

I remember grandpas radio room in the basement, he had a big tower with a horizontally polarized directional antenna outside. He had no microphone, he was strictly CW guy. I remember large cabinets reading "Danger High Voltage" on them. Probably wasnt that big, but to a small kid, it looked like it. And I remember the constant "time", ie "at the tone, 1600 hours, 22 minutes, coordinated universal time, beeeeep......" every minute, it would play followed by a tick tick tick till the next minute expired....

He went to Skageway Alaska back in the early 20's after the war (he was Navy), built one of the first radio stations up there. Went back to Seattle, worked for a huge radio station till he got on for Boeing, where he worked in the radio/electronics (probably more like electrics back then) This was around the 30's, ie early. He retired there. I have 2 of his letters of recommendation from the radio stations when he was trying to get on at Boeing dated 1927 and a picture of him getting a 25 year pin from Boeing.  Grin

AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »

IMO he got to enjoy the best decades of Ham Radio. I'll bet there were some high plate voltages with some not so hard to find access points in the shack. It's great you have all these wonderful memories of him. He must have been a pretty hip 65 or 66 year old man to have purchased a Mustang at that time (how about a nice Rambler?).

73, Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: