Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAS - how does it work?  (Read 10816 times)
KC9QQM

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »

I have slowly gotten into doing QSO's on SSB mainly on 40m and going back and looking at my logs on QRZ, I have 18 states worked and so I am wondering how WAS works.
Is my log on QRZ ok?
Do all the contacts have to be confirmed?
How do I let ARRL know when I finally have it completed?
Does WAS include DC or just the 50 states?
Does it matter what band you use? (I will only be using phone)

Thanks,

Jeff
KC9QQM
VE3CX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »

Start here:
http://www.arrl.org/was/

I think it will answer most of your questions.

QRZ confirmations don't count - must be paper or LOTW
Must confirm all 50 states
Any band is OK.  If phone only, you can have it endoresed as 'PHONE'

Tom
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »

Sign up for LoTW, upload your logs, and let it do all the work for you. It will automatically match confirmations and show you which states you have confirmed. For those that are not confirmed on LoTW, you could send QSL cards and have them checked for ARRL credit, but I don't think it's really worth the effort for WAS - just keep working states until you get them all confirmed on LoTW. With some effort, you should be able to do it in a few weeks or months.

All 50 states will be on the air many times over tomorrow during the North American QSO Party. With even a very basic station you should be able to work the vast majority in a few hours. My goal for tomorrow is a clean sweep - all 50 states in 10 hours.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »

...tomorrow during the North American QSO Party...

And it couldn't be simpler to participate:  exchange is your name and state (or province or country as the case may be.)

All the particulars can be found here:  http://ncjweb.com/naqprules.php

Many stations will upload to LoTW shortly after the contest so you could be well on your way to WAS in very short order.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Jeff,

Assuming we're only talking about ARRL WAS, here is some info:

1) You only need the 50 states. DC QSOs count for Maryland.

2) Contacts have to be logged in LoTW or verified by an ARRL card checker. QRZ and eQSL logs don't count for ARRL awards.

3) LoTW is easiest because once you have all 50 confirmed, in just a few clicks you'll have your award processed and will soon have a frame worthy card stock certificate that you can show off to all your friends still toying with repeaters.

4) You can get your basic award by completing 50 confirmed contacts on any band with any mode.

5) The easiest way to rack up the contacts is to work the state QSO parties and other contests. You can even work skeds and the WAS nets if you feel the need. However, I think most will agree the award will feel most satisfying if you rack up your contacts by finding each state on your own, outside of a fish bowl.

6) Once you get your basic, you can up the challenge by getting endorsements for getting 50 contacts on any single mode or any single band. Next step up is to get your 5 band WAS. Or the Triple Play Award (50 contacts SSB, CW, Digital, for a total of 150, all confirmed in LoTW only). Or try for your 50 on the top band (160-meters), VHF (6-meters and up), satellite, EME, or QRP. There are many was to challenge yourself.

Good luck and have lots of fun,
Ray KJ6AMF
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:50 AM »

5) The easiest way to rack up the contacts is to work the state QSO parties and other contests. You can even work skeds

To be more specific... with respect to LOTW... easiest way to work and confirm all 50 in a single weekend will be NAQP or ARRL Sweepstakes.

For skeds with LOTW confirmation, "Triple play" is a keyword.

Tim.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »

Excellent summary and a very helpful overview, Ray. I created a little form with boxes to fill in for each state. Now that I have WAS, I'm working on Triple Play. Only 20 slots to fill. Then I'll work on 5 band - which I suspect will take some time. I also like chasing new grid squares and built a map (http://smithplanet.com/logbook/grids.php) that pulls from my log book to help me monitor progress. And then there's DXCC, county hunting, contesting, etc., etc.

As you note, there are MANY ways to push yourself and keep this hobby challenging and fun.
VE3CX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »

I created a little form with boxes to fill in for each state. Now that I have WAS, I'm working on Triple Play. Only 20 slots to fill. Then I'll work on 5 band - which I suspect will take some time. I also like chasing new grid squares and built a map (http://smithplanet.com/logbook/grids.php) that pulls from my log book to help me monitor progress. And then there's DXCC, county hunting, contesting, etc., etc.

As you note, there are MANY ways to push yourself and keep this hobby challenging and fun.

Triple Play requires all confirmations be done through LOTW. 

LOTW keeps track of your 5BWAS, Triple Play, DXCC, etc. totals automatically.

Best way to make some serious progress on all there is to become an active contester.  Don't need to become hard core - just start getting on and making QSO's.  You will be surpized how quickly things move along.

Tom - VE3CX
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 06:06:03 AM »

For the ARRL WAS you have to be a member of ARRL and pay the dues ($39) in addition to the fee for the WAS ($15) certificate.   Wink
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »

Thanks so much everyone. I have already signed up on LotW and need to get back on it and move my QSO's to it.

Jeff
KC9QQM
K4EHB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 05:01:29 AM »

Jeff,

There's another way.  Just collect qsl cards.  Every contact send a card - you'll get some cards in return.  Eventually you'll have was.

Casual, rag-chewing but dedicated operators get the same rewards but at a slower rate - so pick the awards you want.

73 k4ehb, robert
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »

While most of the contacts I have made were partisipating in contests, I would rather just find oenone on air to talk with. After looking at the contacts I had made and mapping them I saw I had almost half the country so I thought about the WAS and going towards it.

Jeff
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »

I got my WAS award several years ago.  Most of my contacts were on 10 Meter Phone.  I just took all of my cards with me to Dayton and had the card checkers up there confirm them.  The upcoming contests herein the fall, like the ARRL CW and Phone Sweepstakes or the 10 Meter contest in December are excellent ways to rack up states you need for WAS.  It is not unheard of to work most, if not all states during the contest weekend of Sweepstakes.  I have easily worked over 35 states during Sweeps running only 100 Watts into an attic dipole.  Good luck!

Mike KU4UV
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 06:09:19 PM »

20 and 40 meter CW are also some of excellent places to pick up states needed for WAS, as well as PSK31.  I picked up a lot of states that way as well.

KU4UV
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »

While most of the contacts I have made were partisipating in contests, I would rather just find oenone on air to talk with. After looking at the contacts I had made and mapping them I saw I had almost half the country so I thought about the WAS and going towards it.

You are more likely to get LOTW confirmations in a contest, especially a CW or RTTY contest, than in random QSO's. I have nothing against paper cards (just sent out some batches this AM, and I love it when my sorter gives me a pile), just that LOTW makes it so easy without having to "chase paper".

Obviously I'd like to plug the ARRL SS and NCJ NAQP as great fun in addition to making it easy to do WAS in a weekend.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: