Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Chess  (Read 798 times)
WQ3T

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:29:49 PM »

Does anybody do chess by CW? I've always thought it would be fun to try, but it's even harder to find a chess partner than a CW QSO.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:48:18 PM »

Back in my high school days, after my homework was done I'd get on 40 CW and meet with a group of local chess players (in Las Vegas NV).  We'd pair up and go off to our "own" frequency to play, and then we'd meet back on the original frequency to report the outcome and one of the group who kept track of things would announce our standings.

We used the old "P - K4" notation, with the "-" represented by "didit didit".  At that time only professional players and Europeans regularly used the algebraic notation of today.  I still use the old notation when taking notes on a game.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AA0FY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »

That sounds fun. I love Chess and CW. I'd like to give it a try sometime. If anyone is interested, just post here and We'll set it up.
73    Pat AA0FY
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:14:34 AM »

I think I heard of a WebSite where Hams can chat (Chat messages) in Morse code. You could probably Google it or ask in the yahoo Brass Pounders newsgroup. And you could set up chess games in the Morse code chat room.

Is that the trifecta or what? Ham Radio, Chess, Morse Code. You know the girls at the office just love it when I talk like that. I'm sure they leave the room because they are afraid of loosing control.

Paul
KA3CTQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:25:08 AM »

I was with a group that tried to start a radio chess club. This was the end of last year. It never got off the ground.

We can set up a sked if you want to play. I have been looking for some hams to play for some time. Contact me and set up a sked/game.

Dan
KA3CTQ
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »

It's a great idea that seems to me to be unworkable unless you have short time controls, like maybe 15 minutes or less, possibly 30 minutes.  Think of all the dead air time.  Folks are gonna think a frequency is clear when it isn't.  It would be real hard to ragchew while trying to figure your next move.  Openings would probably go pretty fast, but the middle and endgames not so fast.  

I'd love to ragchew about chess with another player and Ham.  You could actually kibbutz on phone a lot easier.  I would love to try it...even on cw.
KA8YLY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:53:08 AM »

this reminds me of when a friend and I used to play Dungeons And Dragons on 10meter ssb back in the day.

wish I knew how to play chess... this sounds like fun.

have fun guys!
jason
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »

> You know the girls at the office just love it when I
> talk like that. I'm sure they leave the room because
> they are afraid of loosing control.

Reminds me of an old joke...

Somebody asked a ham radio operator if he'd rather have a wife or a mistress.

After thinking a bit, he replied "Both. The wife would assume I was with the mistress. The mistress would assume I was with the wife and I could sneak out to the shack to get some operating time in..."

di-di-di-dit di-dit

73 de Donald
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »

I bet it could be done on the 40 meter novice/tech subband. Nobody uses those frequencies for some reason.
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:04:36 AM »

I'd be more than happy to get in on this.  Pick a frequency and we can give it a try.  If several of us meet on the frequency, maybe we can get to know each other and we can become friends.  It could be interesting.  

I don't play much anymore but there was a time when I played a LOT.  Now, I seem to care more about the quality and art of the game than I do the outcome.  

My favorite players have been Alekhine, Tal, Smyslov, Korchnoi, Spassky, and Larsen.  Fischer's games speak for themselves.  I also like Petrosian.  Maybe something like this would get me studying games again!
KA3CTQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 07:07:35 AM »

There was a group that started out and used a Yahoo group called "Radio Chess." I checked it is still there, just no one is using it.

It was used to sked games. Unfortunately, the emails died off this past spring.

Should we revive that group or start over?

I am on many nights after 8:00 pm eastern. Email me for a game. Email good on QRZed.

Dan, KA3CTQ
WB8WTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »

Dan, KA3CTQ  wrote:
>>Should we revive that group or start over? <<

Sounds like a good idea. I checked the "Radiochess" Yahoo group - there are only 11 members.  A good first step would be for anyone who is interested in radio chess should join that group - sort of "home base". I'm joining as soon as I send this - it's public.

WQ3T wrote:
>>I bet it could be done on the 40 meter novice/tech subband. Nobody uses those frequencies for some reason.   <<

Agreed. That band section would be the best bet. I don't understand why it is under-used either. Have you listened to 80 meters at night lately Huh  Hardly an arguement  for the "CW is dead" crowd.  The 40 meter N/T freqs are still open up to 7.125 and fairly wide open. There are some slow speed cw nets
that use it - we can check. Yes, the shortwave stations are there but not wall-to-wall. Besides, we really need to make some noise in that part of the band.

I'm a better CW op than a chess player (mediocre at both) but would like to play a game or two.

Howzabout...........

1. - Anyone interested - join the Yahoo group and revive it.

2. - We can decide on a general freq. to gather at and a day of the week - example,  Saturday evening  on 7.112 anytime between 8 p.m  and 1 a.m. Eastern - something like that.  I know for a fact that there are freqs. between 7.100 and 7.125 that are clear all night coast to coast.  

We can see how it goes from there...... I'm in.

dennis
wb8wtu
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »

Here's a link:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/alumni/amateurradioclub/pennsylvanian.html
showing CW chess is not a new idea.
"In another field Whittaker [of Penn State], it was reported, is busy arranging a chess match with Princeton, to be played via wireless."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: