Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Networked SDR's - The Future of Hamming?  (Read 3134 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »

Ethernet will be in place for the GUI over your LAN
Future releases will enable operation from any location in the world with an Internet connection."  It is my understanding eventually this will be a fully routable radio.  If I am wrong someone please correct me. This is a big deal for many of us.

Tim

I have been thinking about this. It is very interesting. Here is some of my (far-fetched) thinking.

Why make Hardware for SDR's to sell? Make one big Mother of All SDR's and Sell network access. If you have a ham license and have enough money you can access the Mother of All SDRs thru the internet. Just like we do with websites. There would be more than one SDR Mother, you could put them in different countries also. Charge extra for being P5/K9IUQ, wouldn't that be fun.  Cheesy
You could even charge extra for legal limit.

Imagine this: A huge networked SDR farm on a hill with antennas on every band. A Mother of All SDR's connected to the antennas. You buy acesss by the hour, week, month or year. You log in, pick your band, mode and operate.

This would eliminate all HOA problems, would give everyone great antennas, no RFI problems etc etc. My imagination runs wild.

Some of this is being done already. See "Selling Airtime on Hamradio"
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,84129.0.html

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:06:05 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »

Interesting ideas. 

Personally, I was thinking it would be neat to have my own networked radios installed at various locations.  Several networked SDRs located throughout the U. S. at various family member's houses might be interesting.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »

Interesting ideas. 

Personally, I was thinking it would be neat to have my own networked radios installed at various locations.  Several networked SDRs located throughout the U. S. at various family member's houses might be interesting.

Might be a way for ham fun. And a way to make a little extra hamradio money. After you have built your Mother Of All SDR empire and find yourself wallowing in $$ remember where you got the idea..  Cheesy Cheesy 

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

Well, DStar is that in a way already.

Here is something I wrote a few months ago with some of the same thoughts in mind.  Also so more on it in the SDR of the future.

The thing though is, if the SDR is in the cloud and all capable then I think hamming looses a lot of its appeal in being able to conquer the elements with your own system, including the antenna.

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles/45-internet-remote-antennas

In the SDR of the future we would have a third type of receiver, and that's the Internet receiver, it would allow you access the people's hosted receivers and ergo their antennas.  Receive only though because the mischief that some would undoubtedly create on transmit would be hard to control and regulate in my humble opinion, and again, as far as DXing goes no fun.  Awards would be watered down, kind of like athletes using steroids while many don't.  Plus, again, you have Dstar making its push that allows you access world wide to Dstar repeaters.

We also already have qsonet and Hamsphere out there as well.  For me it would never be the same.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

Good locations for that Mother of SDR would be the moon or geosynchronous satellites.
But would this be really fun? I think nothing can beat setting up a station, sitting in front of it and making contacts.
You might as well use echolink or a cell phone...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »

In the SDR of the future we would have a third type of receiver, and that's the Internet receiver, it would allow you access the people's hosted receivers and ergo their antennas.  

Internet SDR RX's are so yesterday. They have been around for years. I even started a thread about them a couple years ago on eham. Try them out, it is interesting to call CQ on 20 meters and listen to yourself on an Internet RX in Europe...

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,64858.0.html

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:56:07 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:04:10 AM »

Future releases will enable operation from any location in the world with an Internet connection."  It is my understanding eventually this will be a fully routable radio.  If I am wrong someone please correct me. This is a big deal for many of us.

Tim

I have been thinking about this. It is very interesting. Here is some of my (far-fetched) thinking.

Why make Hardware for SDR's to sell? Make one big Mother of All SDR's and Sell network access. If you have a ham license and have enough money you can access the Mother of All SDRs thru the internet. Just like we do with websites. There would be more than one SDR Mother, you could put them in different countries also. Charge extra for being P5/K9IUQ, wouldn't that be fun.  Cheesy

Imagine this: A huge networked SDR farm on a hill with antennas on every band. A Mother of All SDR's connected to the antennas. You buy acesss by the hour, week, month or year. You log in, pick your band, mode and operate.

This would eliminate all HOA problems, would give everyone great antennas, no RFI problems etc etc. My imagination runs wild.

Stan K9IUQ

Internet SDR RX's are so yesterday. They have been around for years. I even started a thread about them a couple years ago on eham. Try them out, it is interesting to call CQ on 20 meters and listen to yourself on an Internet RX in Europe...

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,64858.0.html

Stan K9IUQ

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »

Tim

Stan K9IUQ

The problem with this is that making  contacts is the least interesting part of ham radio.
YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:27:13 AM »

Why make Hardware for SDR's to sell? Make one big Mother of All SDR's and Sell network access

First of all, if everybody is using the Mother Of All SDR who are they going to have a QSO with ? Smiley
Secondly, you cannot have a bunch of transmitters and recievers at the same location, just because they will interfere.
Third, the concept kills all the fun, you might as well use a mobile phone, Skype or Hamsphere.

Realistically speaking, i think it will only go as far as having club or private premium locations with internet-accesible SDR equipment (multiple recievers and one transmitter), available either to a limited circle of users or to any ham that can pay a fee. HF contest equipment is expensive and not all locations are good for performance (either too noisy or impossible to install a decent antenna), so getting airtime this way might be easier and much cheaper for some.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »

Where would the challenge be with this "Mother of all SDR's"??
Dealing with challenges such as antennas, location, finances etc.
is part of the FUN of Amateur Radio. No building antennas? Or
repairing old boat anchors? Just grab your iPhone, Tablet PC and
get on the air from a super station? That concept stinks to me!
 Might as well take up collecting string. About as fun and challenging.
Personally, I hope this idea never takes off. I have talked to guys using
remote setups over the internet and I can understand why to some degree.
But, to me it's like cheating. I worked a guy that had a VK call and was using
a remote station in the Virgin Islands a few years ago. All via the internet.
At that particular time, 10 meters propagation stunk. And when I heard his call
I was surprised and just a bit excited to make the contact. UNTIL, he explained
that while he WAS in Australia, his station was in the Virgin Islands and he was
using it remotely over the internet. That was a bit of a let down. I just knew that
conditions on 10 meters had really taken a jump.......WRONG!!
I can see someone having a remote setup somewhere outside of a big city that they
live in, and using the internet to access it. But, this concept of big, contest style
stations setup in prime locations with great antennas, being used remotely over the
internet via subscribers etc. .................that just isn't right. I think I would give up
Amateur Radio before doing that. I like the challenge of making what I have work.
james
WD5GWY

Kind of reminds me of a hunting ranch in Texas a few years ago that tried to set up
REMOTE Deer hunting on the internet! You paid a fee, logged on, and you controlled a remote rifle and could shoot a deer that was in a holding pen! The deer could not get out of the pen or out of range of the rifle. They claimed they did it for disabled hunters.....but
there were a few that were not disabled using it. That idea quickly fizzled. Plus the legality of it was questionable. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:10:45 AM by WD5GWY » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: