Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power needed for jt6m, fsk144, mfsk, olivia  (Read 2393 times)
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »

I purchased a 2 meter ssb radio that runs 25 watts and just built a 2 meter moxon.

I'm curious how much power is needed for weak signal modes such as meteor scatter, tropo, and whether mfsk or olivia might be better to try.
I want a good challenge but I also don't want to waste my time if these modes require 10 element beams and a kilowatt amp.

Thanks,
Tim
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »

I'm not vastly experienced with VHF weak signal work. I've heard of EME being done on 2m with 100w and a single yagi w/JT65B. I have a setup running 4 yagis and a KW. 25w could be a bit of a limitation, especially with meteor scatter. I've done meteor scatter w/100 watts on 6, but that was a real stretch. Let's see what some more experienced VHF/UHF'ers who have seen and done it all have to say, as their advice will probably be better than mine. My personal opionion would be to try to add at least a "brick" amplifier and build a nice yagi. I built my yagis in my living room with some very inexpensive supplies (although don't skimp on coax).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: