Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio deluxe  (Read 6525 times)
K8CMO

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »

I am totally new to digital communication.  I have installed Ham Radio Deluxe, but everytime I try to use it I get the message that "it has suddenly and unexpectedly stopped working and must close". I have uninstalled and downloaded again to start over, but that didn't change anything. It makes it impossible to use.  Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem or can suggest another program that might do the same things?
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »

I am totally new to digital communication.  I have installed Ham Radio Deluxe, but everytime I try to use it I get the message that "it has suddenly and unexpectedly stopped working and must close". I have uninstalled and downloaded again to start over, but that didn't change anything. It makes it impossible to use.  Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem or can suggest another program that might do the same things?

Could be a couple of things. Computer software, your CAT cable is another.

I would recommend that you join the HRD group on Yahoo. The guys who own the software post there and may be able to help you out.

There are just too many small details that could be causing your problem.

I have been using HRD since 2007 and have never had any major issues to deal with.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »

What version are you running? What CPU, how much ram?

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »

I am totally new to digital communication

Howdy! Welcome to digital modes!
What are your goals at this time?
Are there any specific modes you are interested
in getting started in, like PSK-31? RTTY? SSTV?

HRD is a great program but it does a LOT of spiffy things
and I think the learning curve might be pretty steep for
someone new to the digital modes.

IF you want to get on the air now with a particular
mode in mind, I would recommend starting with a simpler
program,(for now) perhaps one that does just
that mode.
i.e. Digipan for PSK-31
MMTTY for RTTY, etc

That will get you on the air and having fun QSO's
right now. And in your spare time you can figure out
how HRD works with your system.

I would also recommend that you check out the
HRD Forums at QRZ.com.  LOTS of good information
and helpful folks there.
http://forums.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?44-Ham-Radio-Deluxe-HRD
Good luck and hope to see you on my screen soon!  Cheesy
73, Ken  AD6KA
K8CMO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »

Thanks for good information.  The problem with Ham Radio Deluxe is not in its complexity but the fact that I can't even get to the QSO window.  Everytime I click the mouse or type anything I get the message that "program has unexpectedly stopped working and must be closed".  I haven't even been able to learn anything about the program itself because it is always closing me out.  I will try one of the other programs, but I don't think this program will ever work for me.  I believe the version on the website it currently 5.2 or something comparable.  I am using the SignaLink interface.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »

Thanks for good information.  The problem with Ham Radio Deluxe is not in its complexity but the fact that I can't even get to the QSO window.  Everytime I click the mouse or type anything I get the message that "program has unexpectedly stopped working and must be closed".  I haven't even been able to learn anything about the program itself because it is always closing me out.  I will try one of the other programs, but I don't think this program will ever work for me.  I believe the version on the website it currently 5.2 or something comparable.  I am using the SignaLink interface.

Please look at the version and relay it here. It's important to know the exact version, how much RAM you have and how fast your CPU is. You can get the version number from the name of the file you downloaded to do the install.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 03:20:52 AM »

Are you running Windows 7 and using a USB to serial converter? That is a common cause with HRD for what you are talking about - look here.

The forums on that site are the best place to get HRD info.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »

HRD DM780 is a very daunting program to use.  I am still learning things about it every day and I have been using it for almost 10 years.  I suggest you get a little air time under your belt by using a more user-friendly program like Digipan.  See if you can get Digipan configured and running and get some QSOs under your belt.

To be quite honest, you could have any one of ten or more things wrong with your current setup.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:36:09 AM »

I would go to a simple setup first to diagnose where the problem lies.
Try FLdigi as a digimodes program, and then if you want to control your rig, it has a module called FLrig which can do that as well.
The rig control interface is not as pretty as HRD, but it will do the job.

FLdigi is a lot lighter on resources than HRD, and then if you can do rig control for an extended period without crashing, then it will indicate where to go next, and where the problems actually are.

When I was in software support, it was standard procedure to blame the hardware, and vice versa.
You can easily be caught in an endless moebius loop of buck passing.
So you need to think like a diagnostician and go to a minimal system, and slowly add more complexity until you find where the failure lies.

If I were you, I would also try the last "Simon" version of HRD which I believe was 5.0 beta build 2893.
I have found this version pretty stable over a long time, even with the so called evil usb to serial prolific chipset converter.

Unless you are versed in crashdump analysis, you are going to be going around in circles.
Keep in mind that the current recent versions of HRD are a work in progress, and the developers are no doubt working hard on ironing out the bugs.
But with so many system configurations out there, and active development occurring, this will happen until a stable release is issued.
Also keep in mind all programs have bugs, the only issue is how often, and under what circumstances they cause problems.

Good luck 73 - Rob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:38:22 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »

I would recommend that you install version 5.1, it is the last version before new ownership, and appears to be the most stable.  The new owners are working on knocking out bugs, but it seems with each new release there are new issues.  I had been trying to keep up with the latest but got tired of all of the nuances and went back to 5.1 and have stayed there.  I have never had any of the 'unexpected' error messages with 5.1 but had plenty with the later versions.  No disrespect intended towards the new owners (or the program), but just an observation on stability.
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »

HRD is very sensitive to the hardware of the usb to serial converters, if you are using one, when used with Windows 7. You need a converter with the FDDI chip. Prolific chips are known to cause problems in many systems. I went through teh very problem with hardware that was fine under XP but would not work under Win 7 for HRD other programs worked fine with the hardware. Try to find a new converter with the FDDI chip and you should not have any more problems. This assumes an adequate PC and you are using a USB to Serial converter.

Andy
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »

I would recommend that you install version 5.1, it is the last version before new ownership, and appears to be the most stable.  The new owners are working on knocking out bugs, but it seems with each new release there are new issues.  I had been trying to keep up with the latest but got tired of all of the nuances and went back to 5.1 and have stayed there.  I have never had any of the 'unexpected' error messages with 5.1 but had plenty with the later versions.  No disrespect intended towards the new owners (or the program), but just an observation on stability.

I second that.
Also have found the original versions quite stable.
Even version 4 works fine for many users.
It does not have RSID I believe, but for most digimodes work it is quite adequate.

I am glad I am no longer in software development - I have taken up juggling swords - it is less stressful.

73 - Rob
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »

Ham Radio Deluxe worked great until the new ownership. Seems they took a good working program, pronounced it full of bugs and proceeded to attempt to charge users to fix imaginary problems.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38:03 AM »

>Try to find a new converter with the FDDI chip

I believe you mean FTDI...?
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »

>Try to find a new converter with the FDDI chip

I believe you mean FTDI...?

Yes, sorry. I was trying to remember off the top of my head.

Andy
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: