Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking in my Omni 6+  (Read 2054 times)
NK6Q

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »

I finally decided life was too short not to put my Omni 6+ into service.  I bought the rig almost 2 years ago from the son of a SK.  It didn't come with a power supply and I couldn't fire it up to try it out, but its cosmetic condition, and the price, were so good I decided to take a gamble.

Looks like the gamble paid off.  I boxed up my vintage Drake TR-4Cw setup and installed the Omni 6+ on the desk.  The rig's working like a champ!

It's taken me a little while to get the hang of all the buttons: not having to dip the plate or tune backwards on 20 meters felt strange at first, but I'm starting to really enjoy my "modern" rig.  I've been playing with it on-air for the past two days, learning how to use it.  I love the RIT control: with the TR-4Cw I had an external VFO, but this does the job as well or better.

I do kinda miss the smell of those 6JB6's cooking, though.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
(having fun with my new toy)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »

Way to hell is always hill down, (I like up hill skiing), well paved and supplied with over a 100 tiny knobs japanese appliances for free, with CW as add on mode. O yes, and free antennas out of he box.

CW proficiency by shot http://www.flickr.com/photos/me_n_my_xv/5175399904/in/photostream/lightbox/

Bob
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »

Congrats. The Omni VI seemed like the best transceiver for CW in the 90s when I got my ticket(s) and I envied those who could afford them. I started out with a borrowed 20M CW QRP rig while saving up for an old FT101 ZD, but I really wanted the Omni VI. Have fun.

73, Geoff
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »

Maybe now I can find out what all the fuss is about with 17 meters.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »

Maybe now I can find out what all the fuss is about with 17 meters.

It's great for DX. As a CW op you'll enjoy 30, too.
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »

You should get a lot of enjoyment out of that Omni VI, Bill. Great receive, almost transparent QSK (As good as you're going to get in a transceiver anyway), just a really nice rig for CW.

You've probably already heard this a million times, but Ten Tec support is great. They're always willing to talk to, and help out, a TT owner - whether you bought it new or on the secondary market.  They have parts for old models. If you'd rather work on it yourself, they'll send you the part and give you all the info you need to get it fixed.

As AE4RV already mentioned, don't forget 30m. If you enjoy chasing DX, 30m has it late nights here.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

I just upgraded to an Omni VI... I am sorry I didn't do it years ago!  It is the best radio I've ever owned. My JRC '515 twins have been retired to back up status.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: