Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can be done with operators who splatter??  (Read 14773 times)
KC9V0

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »

What receiver or other equipment are you using to monitor these signals? If you are using a spectrum analyzer or a higher end monitor receiver(calibrated) your observations may be valid. Many of the older lower quality receivers are not capable for such evaluations, but good enough for amatuer use.

KC9VO
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »

What receiver or other equipment are you using to monitor these signals? If you are using a spectrum analyzer or a higher end monitor receiver(calibrated) your observations may be valid. Many of the older lower quality receivers are not capable for such evaluations, but good enough for amatuer use.

KC9VO

Most spectrum analyzers and nearly all band scopes have less dynamic range than a mediocre modern receiver. :-)

You would not believe what we had to go through to find an analyzer that could measure a TOI of 30 dBm with 50 KHz tone spacing.

The question is more about how to use a receiver properly.

W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »

I hear a lot of that too, but it's usually of short duration...such as someone in a pileup with all the knobs cranked wide open.  I bear with the situation.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »

An aside--Maybe just not using so much oil when you try to fry them!   Grin
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »

The chief reasons for being in the splatter club are these:

ESSB, 99.99% of people using outboard audio processing gear with excessive bandwidth cause a lot splatter. ESSB is a menace practice on the ham bands.

I agree. I hear many stations running some form of outboard audio equipment, and they really sound terrible. Rarely will you find someone that gets it right.  Most, try to boost the bottom and top end, and achieve nothing but mushy distorted audio.

Even without outboard processing gear; the biggest problem I've heard for years, it seems so many just don't know the basics. Simply turning down the mic gain would help so many. I've always been amazed at the guys you hear up and down the bands, running the mic gain wide open or running the processor too hot, mixing in tons of back ground noise with their signal. 

If ops would follow one simple rule, a lot of objectionable signals could be avoided.  If power is going out over the air on SSB when you are keyed down, but not speaking, you need to turn down the mic gain, period.

K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »

Are you sure you don't have your noise blanker on?

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: