Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report to Congress on Amateur Radio Submitted  (Read 6948 times)
AA6CJ

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »

Hello all,
http://www.fcc.gov/document/report-congress-amateur-radio-emergencies-and-disaster-relief
The much anticipated report is in.  FCC recommends no changes to its policy on CC&Rs.
Oh well, flagpole for me it seems.
Fred
AA6CJ
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »

Clearly the FCC's "recommendations" had no basis in the data they collected but chose to ignore.  Write your congressmen if you feel the FCC's recommendations had little to do with the "data" they collected. 

Talk about a complete waste of the taxpayer's money!
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »

Read the report.  By my reading anyway, the FCC's "conclusion" is their opinion, and they reached this opinion by what appears to be an undefined analysis process.  My opinion is that the FCC appears to have approached the document with a foregone conclusion in mind -- they want nothing to do with affecting CC&R's.  And they appear to have mined whatever data they could from the survey results, no matter how thin, to support this position.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »

Look like its time to clean house at the FCC and start over.  I agree with both AI7AZ and N4UM that the FCC went in with there mind already made up on what the wanted to do and then wrote the report to support that view along with getting people off their back.

The FCC took a great opportunities to layout ways to improve things but dropped the ball and point the finger at other groups to come up with solutions, such as Homeland Security or state/local govt.  They dropped the ball.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »

Clearly the FCC's "recommendations" had no basis in the data they collected

"Clearly"?  Can you cite some examples?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K5USF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »

Kick the can down the road.  The Feds will not touch HOAs/CC&Rs.  It's never going to happen.

Now, I need to go find one of those high performance (physics defying) indoor HF antennas.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

The majority of respondents to their request for comments indicated that local land use restrictions had a detrimental effect upon the amateur service. The FCC's recommendation on this point contradicted the data from comments and they provided no other source of information that led them to their recommendation on this point.  They also ignored a petition on the same point containing well over 3000 signatures.  Their minds were made up before they even started collecting "data."  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

Remember the Commission is run by political appointees who are not elected by popular vote (or any kind of vote).  I'd think they would want to do as little as possible for the most compensation possible, as long as possible. Wink

Re the FCC doing nothing about circumventing private deed restrictions, that's not entirely true: When forced by Congress, they created the OTARD rule which does circumvent private deed restrictions for television receiving antennas.  But it took an act of Congress to make that happen.

Another act could make it happen again.  Time to contact your Congressweanies, because complaining to the FCC isn't going anywhere.
K5USF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »

They won't touch CC&Rs/HOAs for ham radio (to clarify)...I'd bet that Congress won't touch it either.  What's in it for them?  Big campaign donations from the ARRL and ham radio companies?   Seriously, would they go out on a limb for ~700,000 operators and ~3000 signatures on a petition?  This will lead to another "certificate of appreciation for hams", but the same old problem will remain.

I get frustrated with bureaucrats.  I sincerely hope they do the right thing.
WA4YBC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »

The FCC Report is pathetic, and shows a complete lack of interest in keeping Amateur Radio alive.
According to the FCC's Report, you have to pass a rigorous test to get a Amateur Radio license, and then you have to sell your house to live somewhere where you can put an antenna to use your license.
That is the most illogical dumbest report that I've ever seen come from a government official.
I wonder which planet the FCC officials live on.  The FCC planet is obviously not the same planet that you and I live on.
K5USF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

I agree.  The report is pathetic, lacks quality, lacks data, and lacks independence.  Very little effort went into the report.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

The majority of respondents to their request for comments indicated that local land use restrictions had a detrimental effect upon the amateur service.

Who gets to decide the value of the amateur service?  Perhaps if as a service we could cite some demonstrable substantial benefit to the public that was clearly impacted by these contracts, you might have an argument.  I'm guessing the FCC weighed cause vs effect.  Sure there are impacted hams, the data shows that.  But what difference does it really make in the big picture?

Every time this subject comes up, where's the beef?  You start with 700,000 licensees, then whittle that down to just active hams, then active on HF, and operate from their homes, then down to those that do all that plus Emcomm.  Then reduce that even further to those that would do Emcomm from an HOA-affected home during emergencies and not mobile/portable as most (reported) Emcomm activity occurs, and you're down to precious few hams that are actually impacted.  So when you present this pitifully small number contrasted to the limited result, I don't see hams have any ground to stand on.

You're not going to sell it on Emcomm, the number of amateurs in the US, or buy it with payola.  It amounts to jousting windmills.  Consider the NRA - an organization with a hell of a lot more members, money and clout, and what they go through to attempt to get laws changed for vastly more significant purpose than a hobby.  Then picture the ARRL and a bunch of hams wanting Congress to intervene in private property contracts.  Yeah, right.

Some folks in this hobby take themselves way too seriously.  It's a hobby.  Nothing more.  If you call in a car wreck, work a marathon or report a funnel cloud, then good on ya.  But it's still a hobby.  If you want to be a real first responder then become an EMT, join the Red Cross or the National Guard, not the ARRL.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:16:33 PM by K5LXP » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25:45 AM »

....  I'm guessing the FCC weighed cause vs effect.  Sure there are impacted hams, the data shows that.  But what difference does it really make in the big picture?

Every time this subject comes up, where's the beef?  You start with 700,000 licensees, then whittle that down to just active hams, then active on HF, and operate from their homes, then down to those that do all that plus Emcomm.  Then reduce that even further to those that would do Emcomm from an HOA-affected home during emergencies and not mobile/portable as most (reported) Emcomm activity occurs, and you're down to precious few hams that are actually impacted.

Yep.  I didn't sign the petition or file a note because I don't have a HOA.  But 3000 signatures is a tiny tiny number compared to HOA homeowners who would complain about changes to the law.  (I'm not saying they are RIGHT to complain, just that they WOULD complain.)   

Ham radio is fun, and it's educational, and it can provide a valuable public service--all of US know that.  But ordinary Americans?  I almost NEVER run into anybody who even knows what amateur radio is.  When people ask me about the antennas on my car, and I say I'm an amateur radio operator, the two most common replies I hear are:  "Oh, you mean like CB?" and "Oh, you listen to the police radios?"  They don't KNOW, and we can't expect them to care unless they know.

This is one reason, BTW, that I'm a strong supporter of the ARRL--they, plus the local clubs' information people, are the best voice for amateur radio we have, IMO.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »

The FCC's report is just what I expected.  As some have pointed out, the FCC is not going to touch private contracts and 3000 signatures out of 700,000 hams is not going to provoke the FCC to change it's rules.  Propose changing the rules at one medium sized housing development, and you easily will get 3000 signatures in opposition.

Just as much as hams feel they have a right to put up antennas, people living next door to them surely feel they should have the right not to be subjected to that view. Everyone agreed to the rules when they signed the HOA docs. Nobody was held down and forced to move there.

It's all about priorities, if ham radio is important enough to you, move where you can enjoy your hobby, it's that simple.  I lived where there was an HOA, it was no fun, so I decided my hobby was important enough to me that it warranted a move.  Some folks would say I was nuts, moving 80 miles from my work 8 years ago.  However, that just gives me more radio time during my commute, and I really enjoy living out in the country.  I have plenty of land for antennas, a decent house, and NO HOA!  My taxes are much cheaper as well, I would not give it up for anything, best move I ever made.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »

Get back to me on how great that 160 Mile per day drive is when gas hits $6.00 per gal.  Shocked

Let's see - 8 hrs work + 1 Hr lunch + 4 Hrs on the road + 8 Hours sleep = 21 Hours. That leaves you 3 hours a day for the rest of your life. I happily gave up that grind many years ago.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: