Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend some antenna books  (Read 9003 times)
G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »

If you want to understand antennas, then Kraus and Balanis are the ones to go for. Kraus is more practical, and Balanis more theoretical. Both require effort, Balanis especially - it assumes EM knowledge to about the level of a graduate physicist or engineer.

At a more elementary level it is hard to recommend any books if understanding is the goal. For example, Balanis is the only book I have seen which gives the proper explanation of how a Gamma match works.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »

I have to agree with Stan K9IUQ about Moxon's and Maxwell's books. They are better-written than most, thus clearer, and both books are full of important insights.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

I agree with all the posters so far, but one extra word of advice. Grab some wire and some coax and start creating some of the antennas in the books. I found through my own experience, that it is easy to overthink everything (theory) and that the practice has its own rewards.
I have a large bin in my garage with old CB antennas, TZ antennas, wire, coax, connectors and lots of other salvaged or low cost items that I am out having fun with. Having a antenna analyzer and a couple of antenna switches help!
Enjoy!

I have built my first few antennas. I have a 160m windom and two delta loops.  I like the windom, but am not sure if the 40 and 30 delta loops are working to their full potential.  I enjoyed making them, but want to understand why the do what they do... if you know what I mean.  I really want to keep experimenting, it is a lot of fun. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »

73 Dipole and Long-wire Antennas by W3FQJ Ed Neil
73 Vertical, Beam, and Triangle Antennas by W3FQJ Ed Neil
Wire Beam Antennas for Radio Amateurs by W6SAI William Orr
Beam Antenna Handbook by W6SAI William Orr
Cubical Quad Antennas by W6SAI William Orr
The W6SAI HF Antenna Handbook by W6SAI Willam Orr

I bought all of these years ago. Frankly, I have considered throwing them all out on more than one occasion. I forget all the reasons why, but I think they are lacking on details. Important details such as gain and pattern are missing, IIRC.

Every few years, I get those books out and leaf through them for ideas, but that's about all.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »

I bought all of these years ago. Frankly, I have considered throwing them all out on more than one occasion. I forget all the reasons why, but I think they are lacking on details. Important details such as gain and pattern are missing, IIRC.

Every few years, I get those books out and leaf through them for ideas, but that's about all.

You never need them until you do. I like the Bill Orr books a lot if just for ideas for new hams in the area that I help. A lot of time they leaf through them and find a configuration that fits their lot size.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »

I bought all of these years ago. Frankly, I have considered throwing them all out on more than one occasion. I forget all the reasons why, but I think they are lacking on details.

Today, I will agree with your comment. Back when I got them, we didn't have software and analyzers as we do today to max our antennas. I still keep them as food for thought from the "good old days!"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:56:49 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »

"ON4UN's Low Band DXing", by John Devoldere, ON4UN
SM5JAB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:17 AM »

A good start is "Simple and Fun Antennas for Hams
by Chuck Hutchinson, K8CH and Dean Straw, N6BV".

It covers much basic, hands-on stuff, for many frequencies.

ON4UN's Low-Band DX-ing is the next step as is the aforementioned Les Moxons book.
Mr Moxon brings up many novel ideas too keep you experimenting a long time.

W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »

http://www.lulu.com/shop/edmund-laport/radio-antenna-engineering/ebook/product-17560294.html

Here's a book by Laport that you can download for free on Lulu.com.  For a bit more, you can have them print off a scanned copy, nicely paperback bound, which is a very good deal for the price.  I make my living with shortwave and medium wave antennas, and Edmund Laport's book sits on my shelf... and in my hard drive, along with most of the others previously mentioned.  If you can find a copy of Terman's old antenna book at a hamfest for five or ten bucks, that's a good choice too.  Both of these books are over 60 years old, but the electrons still work the same way now.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

I bought the ARRL antenna book. Its mammoth, covers everything antenna. I also grabbed ther ARRL handbook too. Also looks like a Seattle phone book.  Shocked Grin

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

http://www.hamuniverse.com/n4jaantennabook.pdf

Right click and "save as".

And it's FREE.

Grin

Paul - AE5JU
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »

One's I like....

Joe Carr's Practical Antenna Handbook (FREE LINK)
http://www.ea1uro.com/pdf/Practical%20AntennaHandbook%20vol%204.pdf

U.S. Marine Corp Antenna Handbook (FREE LINK)
http://www.zerobeat.net/r3403c.pdf

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:51:43 PM by K3ANG » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: