Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817 no transmit power with SignaLink USB  (Read 6267 times)
VE7TIT

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:37:32 PM »

When I transmit from HamScope, the PTT LED lights on SignaLink and the transmit LED lights on the FT-817, but it's not putting out any power. (The needle on the SWR meter doesn't move at all.) It looks like all of my audio levels are set correctly, but...  Huh

Any ideas?
Thanks!
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:21:55 AM »

Try plugging an earphone (ordinary 3.5mm stereo type) into the "MON" socket on the rear panel of the USB signalink.
If you hear audio, it being generated by the onboard soundcard (as you would expect because the PTT is activating).

If you can hear audio, have a look at the menu options on the FT817, there may be one for "digital gain" or something like that.
I don't have my radio or manual in front of me so I can't check it, but that is worth looking at.

Also, have a try with another program such as FLdigi, hamscope is a pretty old program now (but still has some unique functions).

Basically, if the PTT is activated, you should be getting audio to the rig.
Do you have the correct cable for the FT817 (PM6 from memory), and the jumpers set correctly on the internal header?
Also, without the manual I cannot give you exact settings, but there is usually a setup for the data port to set it to USB in the menu system.

Good luck 73 - Rob
VE7TIT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the "Mon" socket, Rob. That sounds like exactly the next thing to check. I'll try another program and double-check the jumpers, too.

Thanks man. Smiley
VE7TIT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »

It looks like the problem was that I had PTT enabled in the rig controller software and you can't do that? In any case, after enough know twisting I finally got it going. Thanks guys. Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:40:20 AM »

It looks like the problem was that I had PTT enabled in the rig controller software and you can't do that?

Not with a Signal Link as there is no support for it.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »

Since your com port isn't connected to the SignaLink I wouldn't expect having PTT set in the software would prevent anything from working. The SignaLink has its own "vox-like" circuit which closes the PTT contacts on the output to the radio. Obviously your SignaLink PTT was working because the transmitter showed it was in transmit mode.

VE7TIT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »

I fussed with that setup for hours and hours. So many settings! All is well now though. I can't wait to play with the setup this weekend!  Smiley
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »

>I fussed with that setup for hours and hours.

lol...be sure to write them all down in case you need to reconfigure sometime in the future.
KT3A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »

I am having the same issue here.  Using an HP mini running Windows 7 starter and Fldigi.  I get the audio to the Signalink as the PTT energizes and I can hear low level tones in the speaker hooked to the monitor.  I am not using RigCAT or Hamlib with the FT-817.
I think I tried every option short of saying the Signalink is at fault.

Cam kt3a
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »

Hi Cam,

If you have P.T.T. activated and can hear the audio output it would appear the signalink is working.
I am assuming the FT817 is switching to transmit.

I would check two places to see where the problem may lie.

1. The header block inside the signalink - which should be setup as per the Tigertronics instructions for the FT817(same as FT857/897).
You may have bought a preconfigured header which may have a problem, or a pin bent underneath etc.
Check this header to make sure it is configured correctly for the FT817.
The purpose of this header is just to route the appropriate signals to the RJ45 "Radio" socket on the back.

2. You may have a problem with the cable from the "Radio" (RJ45) port on the signalink to the radio.
The correct Tigertronics cable is the SLUSB6PM cable, which is wired to put the correct signals on the 6 pin mini-din DATA port.
If you refer to the FT817 manual, and look at the pinout of the DATA port, you will see two signals labelled "GND" and "DATA IN".
The GND is just ground, and the DATA-IN is the pin where the audio goes to the transmitter.
If you put an earphone across these two pins ON THE CABLE COMING FROM THE USB-SIGNALINK, you should hear a tone when transmitting.
DO THIS WITHOUT BEING CONNECTED TO THE FT817.

The USB signalink can be tested and diagnosed without even having the FT817 connected, so put it aside for those tests.

If you can hear the audio on the cable, and the P.T.T. LED is activated then it would appear the signalink is ok.
Also, if the FT817 switches to transmit when PTT is activated it indicates that part of the cable is good as well.

If that is true, it may be that you need to look in the FT817 menu and see if digital gain etc may be turned down.

Good luck 73 - Rob
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:57:05 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
KT3A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tips.  The 817 is transmitting as you assumed.
1. I bought the correct header and before I installed it, visually inspected the wiring.  It uses plated through holes, so I will have to "ring" it out. I will also look for bent pins, but doubt it.  I was very careful and they are pretty short.
2. I also have the correct cable, but again will ring that out. 
I do have a quick test I didn't think of until after the posting and that is to try it with my FT-8900, which uses the same data jack.  When I get time this weekend I will test those things out.  Also sent a message to Tigertronics to see what things they may have to suggest.
I did try the jumper in the Signalink to increase transmit level and had the FT817 Dig TX level all the way up.
I don't recall if I had the mic plugged in or not and if that would even make a difference.  Some rigs I had in the past needed to have the mic plugged in as well as the data cable on the rear in order to work.

73, Cam
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »

Hi Cam,

Sounds like you are on the right track.
One other thing I intended to say was that if you are getting receiver audio back to the digimode program, as indicated on the waterfall, that is good.
It shows that you have PTT, RX audio, and the only thing remaining is the TX audio.

If you put an earphone across the DATA-IN and GND on the cable coming from the signalink, you should hear audio when in transmit mode.
This is with the cable disconnected from the FT817. This is the same audio you hear when you plug into the MON socket on the rear panel.

The FT817 does not need the microphone disconnected, but should be in DIG mode, not USB or LSB.

Good luck, hope to see you soon on digimodes,

73 - Rob
KT3A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »

Rob,

After some tests with the FT8900 all is well.  So, knowing the Signalink was working, I started to think more about what the instructions were trying to say.  Most instructions were for using the Signalink on HF and the 817 would then be in the DIGI mode.  I am trying to use FLDIGI on 2m FM!  I needed to be in the PACKET mode and not the DIGITAL mode. Switched to the packet mode and all is just perfect.  Works like a champ once I figured out what I was supposed to be doing.  Thanks for the helpful tips.

73, Cam
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »

Under the topic of somebody might need this some day, here is one problem I found that absolutely defied all attempts to solve it. The SignaLink USB was keying the 817, it was in DIG mode, the transmit light was on, audio working properly and getting to the rig. I was using Ham Radio Deluxe and all the settings were correct. But there was no output power. For a little while I started to suspect my finals had gone, but then switched to CW and there was RF out. I unplugged the SignaLink from the 817 and plugged it into my 857D. Same problem! I finally thought about re-booting the computer. After it came back up I realized what was wrong.

I had a 10 port USB 2.0 hub so that I could use any of four rigs and other computer controlled USB devices. In my eagerness to get on the air, I did not turn on the AC power to the outboard power supply for the USB hub. I flipped the AC on and all was back to normal. I felt like a complete idiot. Needless to say, I wrote that one down in my notebook.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: