Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K2 as main DX/contest rig?  (Read 4598 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

Frankly it came down to money. The KX3 is VERY small, that (to me) is a real negative for my only home rig.
But $900 for the 10 watt radio. It does not have tuner or 100 watts to drive my amp. That would be another $300 or so. No RX antenna, so I either build a switchbox or buy a DX Engineering RX antenna box. I love DX Engineering, but now another $175.

For the same price is a ts-590, a 100 watt rig, built-in tuner, built in RX antenna port, and it is larger. The specs are good enough for me, not a K3 or KX-1 but close enough. I was in love with the KX3 as a portable rig, but that is a lot of money. If I get more
Money I might build a KX-1 for /p. but that is a different story.

Paul
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »

Well Paul, I totally get were you are coming from. The KX3 (which does have an ATU by the way) is a great little rig. Probably the best in it's class. But if I had to choose only one rig which would stay in my shack for the vast majority of the time, I would want something with a little more power and a bit more knobs and little less menu's.

I own a K3 myself and have used a TS 590 during field day. I was very impressed with this rig. I especially like the receiver and the receive audio but also was positively surprised how intuitive it was to use.

I hope you have lots of fun with your new transceiver.   
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: