Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: With the listed hardware, how would you interconnect an ICOM 706MKIIG for DIGI  (Read 2379 times)
N4NOO

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »

Here goes, I am using a MacBook computer with an IMic USB audio in/out (soundcard that works perfectly), a Blackcat USB CV-I interface (I can "see" the radio info in either cocoaModem or FLDIGI, so that is working), I will have a Sabrent SBT-USC6M USB to Serial DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable tomorrow.  All being used with an ICOM 706MKIIG. 

After reading some of the posts here, I am confused as to the best way to interconnect all of the parts to create the most efficient system.  Some say to use the "Data socket" for audio in and out and the PTT.  I have tested the "ACC socket" audio in and out using the IMic, on the air on 445 FM simplex and it sound great both directions.

In the PC days of old, I had wires going to the ACC socket pin #3 for HF Send, pin #10 FSKK keying input (not sure why, audio in?), and pin #12 AF detector out, surely I must have had a ground connected but not when I looked the other day? I remember that I made contacts but it was about 10 years ago and that's about all I remember.

So, with all of the above hardware and using either cocoaMode or FLDIGI, how would you interconnect everything?

ALL replies are VERY welcome!

Thank you,

Rick - N4NOO

KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »

Rick,

Stick with FLdigi, you will be better off.
Now I donot use a MAC, I run Windows here with the Icom 706MKIIg, IC-703 and the IC-718.
I highly recommend using the 6pin Data Port (Packet). Using this Jack you don't need to either turn off the Mic Gain or Disconnect the Microphone itself.
If you use the 13pin DataPort then you will have to.
Its been awhile since I used my 706MKIIg but I do run Digital on the 703 and 718.
Fldigi runs very nicely with these radios. When it comes to CAT control for the 706MKIIg the CI-V commands are very limited.
In fact my 703 has more CI-V commands than the 706MKIIg or 718.
I run 3 Tigertronics Signalink USB Interfaces plus the CI-V cables with FLdigi and all works very well.
I dont know much about CocoModem but I believe it can not hold up to FLdigi.
If you decide get into Emcomm then FLdigi is the best out there for that.
If you don't already know their is a Yahoo User Group for those who run the Apple and Linux Operating Systems at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham
also
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/win-fldigi (Main FLdigi Group)

73 de Steve KB6HOH
                                  kb6hoh@comcast.net
N4NOO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »

OK, this is what works! And works very well!

Apple "MacBook" to Icom Interconnections

Icom 706-MKIIG ACC Plug

Pin 2     Ground                     Ground wire for IMic, RS-232 and Amplifier Key circuit
Pin 3     H Send                     RS-232 pin 4 (DTR) and Amplifier Key circuit HOT
Pin 11   Modulator Input          Audio OUT from MacBook via IMic OUT
Pin 12   AF Detector Output      Audio IN to MacBook via IMic IN

Also connected USB CI-V Interface by Black Cat Systems

In the Fldigi software "Rig Control" panel select DTR and DTR=+V

All working with Fldigi 3.21.50. . .PERFECTLY!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:39:22 PM by N4NOO » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: