Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile antenna for VHF/UHF  (Read 1560 times)
KK4JVR

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »

I am new to ham radio (I received my license in June 2012) and I am looking for an antenna to use with my FT-60R. Which antenna do you recommend for attaching to a vehicle?  Does the "rubber duck" that comes with the FT-60R work well enough or what antenna should I purchase to transmit with? I have looked at many catalogs on antennas but all I get is confused! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
KK4JVR
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »

Welcome Rachael.  I recommend the Larsen NMO 2/70BK.  It's a quality dual band antenna which uses an industry standard, Motorola NMO mount.  If you want to make this a permanent installation, you'll need a Larsen NMO mount to go with it.  While I don't recommend magnetic mounts, there are occasions when they come in handy.  The Larsen NMOMM is an excellent choice.  There are also trunk lip mounts which work well.  Here is an example of the mounts available: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/larsenx.html

To get on the air, you'll need the NMO 2/70BK coil and whip, the choice of mount (or base), and an adapter. (PL-259 to what the connector is on your FT-60R).  A call to you favorite store like Ham Radio Outlet should get you a person that can set you up with those things.  In fact, you might even be able to get a discounted antenna and mount package.
K6TTE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

This is a great resouce that I think you'll find to be very helpful...

http://k0bg.com/

Cheers!
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »

I think FT60 HT has SMA antenna connection:

For Car I would get a Diamond MR77-(SMA version) 2m/440 - this is mag mount antenna - works well. $45+-

For better HT antenna vs stock duck - try the Smiley 270A (SMA version) - good for 2m/220/440. $20+-

I have used both of these antenna with VX3R - like alot.

See reviews here on e-ham.

Catch you on the AIR WAVES Cool  73 K1WJ David
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »

?

To get on the air, you'll need .........an adapter. (PL-259 to what the connector is on your FT-60R)......
Correction....make that an SO239 to whatever is on your HT, reportedly an SMA.
KK4JVR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

Thanks everyone!!

I really appreciate the help!

KK4JVR  Smiley
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »

We have had excellent results for over 5 years with the MFJ 1722 dual band magnetic mount antenna for only $14.95. It is very small and almost disappears on the car. Ours is mounted on the driver,s side rear fender of the lady ham's Mustang. I would recommend adding a piece of scuff tape or electrical tape to the bottom of the magnetic base because the magnet is very strong, which makes it hard to remove for washing the vehicle.  Wink

If you find you need more power, I would recommend the highly rated and much loved (in our area) MFJ 1729 dual band magnetic "power gain" antenna for $39.95.  Smiley

Try the least expensive antenna first. On top of the roof or rear deck, you should find that it works quite well.  Grin
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:15 AM »

Since your radio has the SMA antenna mount, you will need the MFJ1722/S. No adapter will be needed for your handheld.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: