Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: opek hvt 600b antenna  (Read 3534 times)
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »

I'd like to purchase an Opek htv 600b mobile antenna but it's base is a pl259. My tri base magnet mount accepts 3/8 x 24 male antenna bases only. I've looked for adapters but the only ones I've found are so239 to 3/8 x 24 female (not male).

Anyone who can lead me to where to find this aparently rare adapter is much appreciated.
I'd rather not pay another $50 dollars for a new magnet mount.

Tim
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »

I found one at a truck stop cb antenna section a few years ago, when I (very) briefly used a Opek HVT-400B.

You could get the female adapter you have found, and put a 3/8-24 all-thread in the middle.

Or, if you want to put your call in this thread so I know where to ship it, you can have the adapter I have.

If you want to find a set screw to replace the one that holds the whip after adjusting it, since I managed to lose it somewhere,  and don't mind not having the WARC bands, you can have the antenna also.

KC0OBI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »

Hi Tom
I am thinking of getting a hvt 400 and I was wondering
how well it worked for you. I currently use a ft-817 and
would like to try mobile ops

Thanks Michael
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:20:02 AM »

Michael, it "works", you will be able to make contacts with it. It isn't what I would consider a "good" antenna, but it will get you on the air.

Having a PL-259 base, it also can be a pain to mount.

If you are just wanting to get your toes wet mobile, I'd suggest hamsticks for 20-17-15. Maybe a 40m one, 12m/10m is pretty sporadic.

That would probably be the least expensive/easiest to mount route to try antenna-wise, but you still need to properly bond/choke/etc... it.

Tim hasn't replied, if you're set on trying a HVT-400B, you can have mine if you want to round up a set screw.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »

You could get the female adapter you have found, and put a 3/8-24 all-thread in the middle.

I've been making 3/8x24tpi all-thread studs by cutting the heads off stainless bolts I bought at the hardware store.  A 3/8x24 die will help clean up the threads at the place you cut off the head.   But I've found it's much easier to order a handful of them from High Sierra Online (HeathTech).  They sell them online for a couple of bucks--very easy and convenient, and they've got a bundle of other mobile antenna parts, so I order from them fairly regularly.

Michael, pardon my addressing YOUR question in the middle of the other question, but I love HF mobile, it's a world of fun, and I also love my 817, which is a nifty little radio, no doubt about it.   But as N5MOA said, hamsticks or their clones might be a much better choice for starting out.  Running mobile HF is tough even with 100watts; if you're going to be trying it at 5 watts, you want to get as much antenna efficiency as you can!   N5MOA is right that hamsticks are pretty efficient and pretty cost-effective for mobile work on the higher bands, and 20-17-15 are all great bands for mobile work.  One more vote for trying that first! 

I'm using a different mobile system now (you can see it if you look me up on qrz.com and then follow the "mobile" link), but I used hamsticks for years from the car, and had a lot of fun with them, at very little cost!

73 GL!   --ken ac4rd
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »

I have a taker on the -400B.

TTOMAS59

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »

Thanks for all the replies - getting ready for Isaac. I'll probaby just look for a 3/8 x 24 threaded screw without a head. I think all these different mounts forcing you to buy different adapters is ridiculous.

Tim
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »

To tell the truth I've always used my 20m hamstick from 20-6 by using a tuner. I just wanted a 600b for 40 and 30.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

I just wanted a 600b for 40 and 30.

IMO, you would be much happier (relative term) with a 40m/30m hamstick.

Thanks for all the replies - getting ready for Isaac. I'll probaby just look for a 3/8 x 24 threaded screw without a head. I think all these different mounts forcing you to buy different adapters is ridiculous.

Tim

If there is a bolt supply place around local, a long 3/8x24 set screw works also.

Keep your head down, hope Isaac doesn't cause any problems.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:14:34 AM »

Why  buy a lousy dummy load?

These antennas would be the worst possible mobile antenna you can use or buy. The outback style antennas work better and so would  the hamsticks.

One interesting configuration that I want to test is a Hamstick or similar with a  Matching Hamstick or similar as a groundplane. This configuration seems to be doing well in the various mobile antenna shootouts.
I remember reading about this configuration in Les Moxon's book.

You can download the latest 3905 Century Club 2012  shootout report for details.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: