Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: short wave listening as a hobby is finished.  (Read 41943 times)
G0DOQ

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »

Years ago, I was a keen short wave listener, but one by one my regular broadcasters shut down. The final nail in the coffin was the end of Radio Netherlands and Canada.
Thats it, its over.
However, I wonder, as many utilities have also finished, could any of the frequencies be allocated to hams? nobody else is using them and its a complete waste of the spectrum.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »

Yeah! I'll meet you on 9.465 @ 2000Z, we'll see if we can dig up some more hams and have a swl contest!

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »

Go here
http://www.short-wave.info/index.php

and put "any station" in "English" then watch the map light up. Still a ton of BCs and lots of utilities keeping a bunch of us SWL's quite busy. Maybe you need a better antenna? On any given day here I can get at least a dozen BCs in English. What antenna are you using there?
G0DOQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:15:01 PM »

I clicked on that link and a list came up, but every one was the BBC world service. that is ONE broadcast station left with some interesting programs.
I used to listen to Radio Sweden- Sweden for dxers, Swiss Radio International- the 2 Bobs, Canada- as it happens, VOA, Netherlands. now I find CRI everwhere, with Chinese propaganda reminding me of Moscow during the cold war era.
to be fair, there is still Australia and Turkey, and Japan
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:23:37 PM by G0DOQ » Logged
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »

It's a shame. I got into SW and MW DXing as a teenager in the '80s and had a blast. At least MW will be around for a while longer.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »

yeah BBC is the default-once the site comes up, you need to put the desired info into the boxes at the top-where it says "find frequencies for" there's a box with an arrow to the right-clik the arrow and it brings down a list-scroll to the top of that list, and clik "any station", make sure the second box with an arrow to the right of that says "English" then clik "go"
you will see something like this every time-mind you these all are English BCs JUST in the 0200 hour around the world!

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/ridgerocker2001/IMG_1970.jpg
it is nothing like you portray it to be. Yes SW BCs are slowly fading one by one, but judging by what you see here and what I DX every night, it is still alive and well. You need a better antenna.
Forgive the "self promo" but I don't know how else to show you-go here and see what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/user/globalswgetter/videos
if you deploy a halfway serious SWL antenna you will start having fun again!

Off the top of my head I get English BCs weekly from
Australia
New Zealand
Africa
Madagascar
Seychelles
Ascencion Island
Italy
China
Russia
Croatia
Turkey
Spain
UK
Germany
India
Brazil
Netherlands
Guam
Singapore
SriLanka
I could go on lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:48:09 PM by RXRXRX » Logged
WA8055SWL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

ya its dying but i think the current internet crackdown starting i am confident it will come back or at least level
out but theres still a few left and theres always pirate radio and ham monitoring so yes bcb is dying but theres still allot of
options left and i have been focusing on mwdx if anyone is interested in getting into it cheap go on amazon and get a
sangean pr-d5 best mw portable radio to come along in a long time
thanks
Dan
G0DOQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:43:55 AM »

Go here
http://www.short-wave.info/index.php

and put "any station" in "English" then watch the map light up. Still a ton of BCs and lots of utilities keeping a bunch of us SWL's quite busy. Maybe you need a better antenna? On any given day here I can get at least a dozen BCs in English. What antenna are you using there?

My rig is an Icom 7410, and previously a Kenwood 870. antenna- long wire and G5RV, good enough for SWL.
G0DOQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »

yeah BBC is the default-once the site comes up, you need to put the desired info into the boxes at the top-where it says "find frequencies for" there's a box with an arrow to the right-clik the arrow and it brings down a list-scroll to the top of that list, and clik "any station", make sure the second box with an arrow to the right of that says "English" then clik "go"
you will see something like this every time-mind you these all are English BCs JUST in the 0200 hour around the world!

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/ridgerocker2001/IMG_1970.jpg
it is nothing like you portray it to be. Yes SW BCs are slowly fading one by one, but judging by what you see here and what I DX every night, it is still alive and well. You need a better antenna.
Forgive the "self promo" but I don't know how else to show you-go here and see what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/user/globalswgetter/videos
if you deploy a halfway serious SWL antenna you will start having fun again!

Off the top of my head I get English BCs weekly from
Australia
New Zealand
Africa
Madagascar
Seychelles
Ascencion Island
Italy
China
Russia
Croatia
Turkey
Spain
UK
Germany
India
Brazil
Netherlands
Guam
Singapore
SriLanka
I could go on lol
cross Netherlands off, go to their website and this is what you can read,
We are sorry to inform you  that the English service of Radio Netherlands Worldwide closed on Friday 29th June 2012.
OK, thats one station,
ONE STATION THAT HAS BEEN THE PIONEER OF BROADCAST LISTENING, with good in-depth, unbiased reporting, as well as entertainment.
RIP
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »

Hey I know how you feel brother Embarrassed but it aint over till it's actually over and I hope I helped show you it aint over like you say. Your thread title is inaccurate. With the equipment you have and given your position, maybe you THINK it's over because of overwhelming RFI or you aren't looking where they are at what times. Here's another site for you
http://www.hfskeds.com/skeds/
set that one up and hit the "English Broadcasts" tab then scroll through the still vast English BC list still there till your eyes wobble lol
I hope I helped you so you can still enjoy the hobby-and if you seriously WANT to acknowledge that these websites I gave you show the hobby is still very much alive, hit me a PM and I'll help you find 'em one at a time because I am an SWL NUT Cheesy and hate to see you missing out, and I am happy to help!
If you don't want to acknowledge these facts-well, I did my best lol
73s
G0DOQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »

Thanks,I do appreciate that.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »

You're welcome G0DOQ
good DX!
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »

I don't see shortwave as dying.  It's changing, but not dying -- well, not quite yet. 

I tune through the 41 meter band and 31 meter band any night and both are loaded with signals.  Granted: most of them I hear where I live are from Asia or from and to South America.  And fewer stations are "international broadcasters".  And 19 meters obviously is more dead than it used to be.   In the 70's there would be twenty or thirty signals on 19 meters where there are maybe eight to ten now.  I don't think the difference it just the poor propagation we've had this sunspot cycle.  19 was a big band for international broadcasters.

Shortwave may slowly be on the way out, but I think it will be around for another decade at least, if only because of the economics of radio waves vs. internet connections in the third world.  Chinese companies and factories are churning out cheap shortwave radios by the gazillions.  They wouldn't be doing that if the medium were going to die tomorrow.

I left the hobby (more or less) for a few years in the 1990's, and got back into it in 2002, and noticed a big difference.  There were less SW broadcasts in English aimed at the U.S. and Europe, and more foreign language broadcasts aimed at Asia and South America.  After a while, I found those broadcasts more interesting than some of the English broadcasts that left the air.  For example, Radio Nacional Da Amazonia is all Brazilian Portuguese, but they play some really cool sounding jazz, and folk music on their broadcasts.

The other day I heard a cool sounding broadcast on TWR out of South Africa.  It was in Amharic, which I don't understand, but there was a terrific folk tune in the middle of the broadcast that made it worth tuning into.  A guy with some sort of odd sounding fiddle, a piano, and an odd sounding accordion.

I think there's still some interesting listening out there.  It's just different than the sort of interesting listening we got used to before.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »

Oh yeah the multicutural music is very cool sometimes. I will tell you that Africa has a better appreciation for OUR music than seemingly we do-the VOA has several programs there that play our classic rock, country, jazz etc. I can get more classic rock on VOA from 10,500 miles away than I can here in Frisco lol!
Voice Of Russia plays some cool sounds from Russian artists too (a lot of their stuff sounds American) and I'm not a jazz guy but some of their jazz is very slick.
Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand play a lot of their artists from there with that "down under" flavor that is definately interesting and a bit weird too.
I don't have the "best" antenna up there on the roof, but it's enough to pull in all the great stuff that is going on overseas.
I know there are hams in here from what I've read so far, that can throw a switch to one of their big ol' bogs or such, and pull out a flea transmitter from an ice station in Siberia, but SWL is of no consequence to them-I'd sure like to see one of them post up in here once in a while.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »

... I know there are hams in here from what I've read so far, that can throw a switch to one of their big ol' bogs or such, and pull out a flea transmitter from an ice station in Siberia, but SWL is of no consequence to them-I'd sure like to see one of them post up in here once in a while.

Well, I certainly do not have a noteworthy antenna, but I am an active, CW-only ham with roots in SWL.  I enjoy listening to international broadcasts and have no problems still finding great stations!  My Drake R8 is best for music when I open up the filters, switch on the sync detector, and turn the tone control all the way to the left! 

Although it is a fact that English-language broadcasts directed to NA are declining, I can find plenty of signal strength falling off the sides of those directional antenna arrays...  Listening to programs intended for Africa and Asia is more interesting anyway! 

That said, there is nothing as great as the continual propaganda from the Iron Curtain countries back in the early 60s... But North Korea and Cuba help keep the memories alive once in a while...  So keep listening and have fun!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN - N4OI   Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: