Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplidyne Model 621 and 261 here; anyone have docs?  (Read 562 times)
KL7HNY

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »

Hiya all.  After years of using only FM above 30 mHz, and CW and SSB below it, I've acquired this pair of old chestnuts via eekBay.  They came through an estate sale from an unknown SK who apparently didn't have any manuals in his shack.  
I was delighted, after the requisite slow Variac power-up without big tubes, then with the modulator tubes, then with the 8150 Compactron final, to find it does at (or close to) rated power (or as near as I can determine) into a dummy load.
Despite its odd green panel color, like a cross of Heath Pawnee and Exorcist pea soup, it was nearly spotless inside except for predictable dust.  The VFO's dial had come loose and was floating around inside its case, and at some point I'll affix it to the shaft.
The 7558 tripler that's used only on 2m shows only a couple of mA of grid drive on the meter, but at some point I'll figure out how much that tube is supposed to see and determine if it's correct as is or whether I need to replace it.
The only printed material I've been able to find online has been a couple of archives of CQ magazine from around 1964, with some small display ads hawking the new product, and two page review of its operation by the magazine staff and a very brief description of its operation.
My chief concerns with this are two, which I'm gonna label A and 2, after the guys on Car Talk  Smiley
A)  The umbilicals between the Model 261 VFO and the transmitter seem to have been subjected to some degree of ....ummmm.... field engineering.  It'd be great to figure out what's *supposed* to be happening here.
2)  There was another matching accessory manufactured for this series, the Model 221 transverter for 220 mHz.  I suspect the transverter was made of Unobtanium, as the only reference I can find to it has been a single line mention of its price in one of the ads.

Back when I got my Novice the first time around, when it was good for only one year and could not be renewed (it arrived in the mail right after my 10th birthday in 1962), this thing was the kind of thing I would have lusted after if I could have afforded a magazine that cost 45 cents.  Well, and if my dad hadn't insisted that a band that was "only good for line of sight" wasn't any good, anyway.  I could have used the two 2-meter rocks inside this on AM, cuz they're between 145 and 147, although CW was denied to Novices then; go figure.
So now it's 50 years later, and I'm finally able to start re-acquiring nifty old stuff.  If I can make this thing play happily (it also came with an unlabeled microphone that looks sorta like Buck Rogers's death ray) I'll have a chance to reclaim my misspent youth and burn up the 6&2m airwaves with a blistering 60 watts (or so) of bug-driven CW and 6L6-push-pull plate modulated AM (yay!).

But only if someone knows where I might find any kind of owner/service/schematic documentation for this noble(?) beast.  Or even practical experience with one.  
And especially (dare I hope?) a Model 221 transverter lying around that they don't want to bother with anymore.....
<sigh>
Hope springs eternal....
tnx es 73,
kl7hny
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:55:43 PM by KL7HNY » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: