I can't find any good sounding portable FM receiver on eBay. A good sounding means 75dB SNR and harmonic distortion under 0.4%.
It would be also nice if it could have these parameters
- 3uV or better sensitivity
- 50dB or better stereo separation
- connector for external antenna (BNC preffered)
- frequency range 76 - 108MHz
- mono/stereo switch
- deemphasis on/off
- bandwidth narrow/wide
- 3.5mm or 6.3mm jack for headphones (10mW minimum)
- powered on 2 or 4 AA type batteries
- no internal noise caused by LCD backlit, key pressing, etc.
Most of them are toys, absolutely unusable for any high quality listening experience. A friend of mine has his own station, where he transmits without any dynamic compression usually found on 99% commercial FM broadcast and I think it would be nice to have such receiver to fully enjoy the dynamic range.
DSP might be the right choice, but the best SNR offered in DSP-enabled receivers is 60dB
Any idea on such receiver (other than I'm just a crazy guy trying to achieve impossible parameters