Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR software on 2 monitors  (Read 12840 times)
JML9905

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »

Hi All,

I'm interested in sdr radios and might buy one.
Because I have a slight visual impairment I would like the software to run on two monitors and be fully configurable. I would like to be able to drag and redimension certain parts of the user interface on the second monitor. Any sdr software (bundled or not) permit this?

Thanks in advance
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »

I am not quite sure of your plans. Any software influences the SDR in its function. So if you think you can run dual instances of one SDR this would not be possible. At least the SDRs for ham radio use don't allow this. If you are thinking just about the displayed portion of the receiver it might be possible, but I am not aware of any software offering that.
JML9905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »

Thanks KA4POL

No, I don't want to run 2 instances of one SDR on 2 monitors. It's the displayed portion on screen that I would like to "split" between 2 monitors. Many softwares that have complicated interfaces make use of windows within windows or panes and one can often drag, reposition and resize these windows. Even moving a few of these windows to a second monitor. Photoshop is perhaps the best example of this.

I am not quite sure of your plans. Any software influences the SDR in its function. So if you think you can run dual instances of one SDR this would not be possible. At least the SDRs for ham radio use don't allow this. If you are thinking just about the displayed portion of the receiver it might be possible, but I am not aware of any software offering that.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

I think I understand what you want and I do not recall seeing any that do this yet.

Options would be to extend the desktop acros two displays and use the extra space to stretch the application.  Of course this could get quirky a d the stretch would be more horizontal than vertical.

You can also have a display that has boundaries greater than the screen resolution and scroll to put the portion of the app you want to see within the viewable area.

Last but not least and perhaps the best is to buy a large HDTV and use it as a monitor.  A 60 inch would make a very nice large display!

G4PNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »

For receiving, take a look at the Studio 1 software from www.woodboxradio.com. Works with several different receivers and is available now (at a cost).

For transmitting take a look at www.n9vv.com and the Hermes software being developed, but not yet finished, by DL3HVH.

David - G4PNX
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:00:30 PM by G4PNX » Logged
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »

I am not aware of any SDR GUI offering what you are looking for?  If I understand you correctly, your requirement  calls for something close to a magnifier, where you can select one section of the SDR GUI and place it on another monitor and control its size and have it mirror the section you selected (NOT a snapshot).  The magnifier that comes with windows I don't think has all the features you are needing?  I used the Windows 7 magnifier until I had my eye surgery and found it did not have many features, I used it to magnify sections of the screen (on a second monitor) so I could use my computer while I had impaired sight (it worked great).  You can code in these type of features without too much trouble with  WPF so you will probably see these features in the near future. However, not today (in ham radio) as far as I know.

Good Luck
Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

Thanks KA4POL

No, I don't want to run 2 instances of one SDR on 2 monitors. It's the displayed portion on screen that I would like to "split" between 2 monitors. Many softwares that have complicated interfaces make use of windows within windows or panes and one can often drag, reposition and resize these windows. Even moving a few of these windows to a second monitor. Photoshop is perhaps the best example of this.

I know exactly what you are talking about in reference to Photoshop.  You want software with a SDI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_document_interface instead of a MDI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface

The software that comes with my QS1R SDR (called SDRMAX V) does exactly what you are describing.  Each window is separate and can be dragged to any monitor.  For example, the frequency memory window can be placed on a second monitor while the main spectrum/waterfall screen is on another one.  The 0 - 62.5 MHz wide band spectrum display is also a separate window which can be independently dragged to another monitor and re-sized to any size.  The filter selection and band selection windows are like this too.  Likewise with all the other settings windows. The software remembers the position of these windows, so one you get them laid out on the different monitors, they always open up in the same place and in the same size.  You can also expand the spectrum and/or waterfall windows to take up the whole monitor or contract them, and then place all the other control windows on a second or multiple monitors.  It is a very nice setup, because when you open up these windows, they don't obscure the main window.  This is one of the big advantages of the QS1R software in my opinion.  It puts something like PowerSDR or the Perseus software to shame.

Gene
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:42:48 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »

Thanks Gene,
I will have to take a close look at a QS1R.

Tim

Real techies don't use knobs.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »

I could only see one video on SDRMax III out there, it did not show break apart windows.  I do believe on Linux though GNU Radio is modular.

The one thing I did see that was kind of attractive was the frequency hovering over the mouse pointer.

The QS1R doesn't seem to have a big following yet, some screen shots if you can post them would be really nice!

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:53 AM »

I will have to take a close look at a QS1R.
I strongly recommend to try the software out first before investing big money.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 02:54:55 AM »

I could only see one video on SDRMax III out there, it did not show break apart windows.  I do believe on Linux though GNU Radio is modular.

The one thing I did see that was kind of attractive was the frequency hovering over the mouse pointer.

The old SDRMAX III did not have separate windows.  The current software is SDRMAX V, which certainly does.

The QS1R doesn't seem to have a big following yet, some screen shots if you can post them would be really nice!

I just looked.  There are 2060 members on the QS1R Yahoo group compared to 1710 members on the Perseus group, 620 members on the Winradio SDR group, 190 members on the Flex6000 group, 107 members on the Rf Space netSDR group, and 2013 members on the KX3 group.

You must have not looked very closely.  There are a lot of screen shots in the files and photos sections of the QS1R Yahoo group. 

Gene
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:03:01 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 03:21:46 AM »

Gene, I did a google search for it, so no, I did not lookmatnthe yahoo group, that did not come,up in the top 10 for search either.  I will give the group a,look.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »

The QS1R doesn't seem to have a big following yet,

Where do you get these ideas, do you make it up?

I belong to many yahoo groups and membership in these groups is a good indication of popularity. As Gene mentioned the QS1R group has 2060 members. Other Radio groups:

TS-590s - 1613 members
Icom 7600 - 1380 members
Yaesu FT-5000 - 1203 members
RF Space NetSDR - 107 members
SDR-Radio.com - 1812 members
WinradioEXCALIBUR - 153 members

As you can see the QS1R is quite popular compared to others.

Keep it Real, or Gene and I will help you keep it Real...  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:26:21 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 05:27:32 AM »

Gene, I did a google search for it, so no, I did not lookmatnthe yahoo group, that did not come,up in the top 10 for search either.  I will give the group a,look.

Hmm, I did google search and the first thing that came up was the manufacturer's website and the QS1R Wiki.  From either page, there is a link to the QS1R Yahoo group.

I will make a suggestion on the QS1R Yahoo to put some more screen shots either on their manufacturer's page or in the Wiki.  Any which way, I found the links quickly.

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »

Hi Gene,

As I said, the yahoo group did not pop up in the top 10 search results, yes I realize there are other ways to get there.

The QS team can increase their search engine ranking by having links to several sites, this will organically move them up.

Please understand, I am not attacking this SDR, I simply made a comment about it.  If you search for it on YouTube you get very little back.  Searching SDRMAX doesn't bring back version 5.  These are simply visibility issues as I do,see the SDR has been around for a few years.

Please note as well that I have looked a few times after you have referenced it here with the same results.

Keep in mind I search for new and existing SDR products all the time. 

It seems like a cool SDR, it just needs more visibility in my humble opinion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: