Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR software on 2 monitors  (Read 10824 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »

Gene, I concede I may have missed it. I am certainly not perfect.  

It's just a shame that a nice looking SDR like that doesn't have more visibility.

The important thing really is that it gets more visibility.

Let's prove my point!  Go out and google SDR radio and then tell me how many pages you have to flip through before you find QS1R.

I stopped after 7 pages and screen captured 3 so I can prove my point.

I saw Funcube, the RealTek, Genesis, Flex, SDRCUBE, HPSDRS, just to name a few, no QuickSilver and no QS1R and no mention of SDRMax on the first 7 pages.  I did find SDRMAX on page 9.

This is what I mean!  

We'll see if our conversation here today bumps it.

Meta = QS1R, QuickSilver, SDR, SDRMAX, IIi, V - http://www.srl-llc.com/

Have fun Gene!  

SDR Radio is a program written by Simon Brown, the same guy that wrote HRD.  If you searched on the term "SDR radio" as you suggest above, it is no surprise that you came up with the search results that you did.   Here is why:  The program SDR Radio works primarily with the RF Space SDRs (RF Space pays Simon Brown for writing the software) and it also works with sound card based SDRs at a limit of 96 kHz sampling from a sound card.   SDR Radio does not support the QS1R or the Perseus or the Winradio Excalibur SDRs because they compete with RF Space products.  That is why those other SDRs do not come up in the search results.   It has nothing to do with the popularity of the QS1R or Perseus or the Winradio Excalibur - the list of SDRs that come up are the result of the ones that SDR Radio will support which includes ALL sound card based SDRs.

You are making conclusions based on your lack of knowledge of what searching on the term "SDR Radio" really means - especially when it is a name of a particular software package.

http://www.sdr-radio.com/

Gene
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:01:19 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »

Gene, cut him a little slack. He is a newbie ham and is trying to learn. It is hard to say you screwed up on a forum, but I believe Mark is trying to say that.

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »

Gene, cut him a little slack. He is a newbie ham and is trying to learn. It is hard to say you screwed up on a forum, but I believe Mark is trying to say that.

Stan K9IUQ

Yeah, I wished he would have just said that he missed it instead making excuses about how google works or does not work.

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »

It's just a shame that a nice looking SDR like that doesn't have more visibility.

The important thing really is that it gets more visibility.

Let's prove my point!  Go out and google SDR radio and then tell me how many pages you have to flip through before you find QS1R.

I stopped after 7 pages and screen captured 3 so I can prove my point.

I saw Funcube, the RealTek, Genesis, Flex, SDRCUBE, HPSDRS, just to name a few, no QuickSilver and no QS1R and no mention of SDRMax on the first 7 pages.  I did find SDRMAX on page 9.

This is what I mean!  

We'll see if our conversation here today bumps it.

Meta = QS1R, QuickSilver, SDR, SDRMAX, IIi, V - http://www.srl-llc.com/

Have fun Gene!  

SDR Radio is a program written by Simon Brown, the same guy that wrote HRD.  If you searched on the term "SDR radio" as you suggest above, it is no surprise that you came up with the search results that you did.   Here is why:  The program SDR Radio works primarily with the RF Space SDRs (RF Space pays Simon Brown for writing the software) and it also works with sound card based SDRs at a limit of 96 kHz sampling from a sound card.   SDR Radio does not support the QS1R or the Perseus or the Winradio Excalibur SDRs because they compete with RF Space products.  That is why those other SDRs do not come up in the search results.   It has nothing to do with the popularity of the QS1R or Perseus or the Winradio Excalibur - the list of SDRs that come up are the result of the ones that SDR Radio will support which includes ALL sound card based SDRs.

You are making conclusions based on your lack of knowledge of what searching on the term "SDR Radio" really means - especially when it is a name of a particular software package.

http://www.sdr-radio.com/

Gene

Try Software Defined Radio, I stopped after 7 pages, nothing on QS1R,

Try SDR transceiver, same thing.

Ahh, try SDR Reciever and it pops at number 5.

The problem here is that in all those other searches, many radios popped up where as the beloved QS1R did not thus pretty much contradicting your argument about SDR Radio only meaning a software package which by the way perceptually represented signle digits on the 8 pages of results before we arrived at SDRMAX.

And with this I conclude about my whole point of visibility and I will just go ahead and say I was wrong on yahoo groups.. My sincere appologies to all!  I must have genuinely missed it, it was not intentional.

Thanks for the feedback Gene!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:47:11 PM by NI0Z » Logged

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »

Try Software Defined Radio, I stopped after 7 pages, nothing on QS1R,

Try SDR transceiver, same thing.

Ahh, try SDR Reciever and it pops at number 5.

The problem here is that in all those other searches, many radios popped up where as the beloved QS1R did not thus pretty much contradicting your argument about SDR Radio only meaning a software package which by the way perceptually represented signle digits on the 8 pages of results before we arrived at SDRMAX.

And with this I conclude about my whole point of visibility and I will just go ahead and say I was wrong on yahoo groups.. My sincere appologies to all!  I must have genuinely missed it, it was not intentional.

Thanks for the feedback Gene!

I think you will agree that the Flex Radio SDRs are much more popular than the QS1R SDR?  However, in some of the searches Flex Radio does not come up in the results and the QS1R does.  Using your reasoning, the Flex Radio SDRs must not be very popular either.  It's a shame Flex Radio SDRs do not have more visibility.  Grin

Gene
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:27:05 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »

Truly, if you want to get sidetracked and have your topic derailed, come to this forum..

If you are using Windows 7, simply click START and type "Magnifier". Your mouse will then become a sort of magnifying glass, putting a zoomed in window of whatever you are hovering over up above the normal sized stuff. The window is resizable. This works with anything on your screen.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-items-on-the-screen-appear-bigger-Magnifier
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »

Truly, if you want to get sidetracked and have your topic derailed, come to this forum..

If you are using Windows 7, simply click START and type "Magnifier". Your mouse will then become a sort of magnifying glass, putting a zoomed in window of whatever you are hovering over up above the normal sized stuff. The window is resizable. This works with anything on your screen.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-items-on-the-screen-appear-bigger-Magnifier

Yeah, it's the place to come too where some people like jump into a thread late and give an answer that was not even asked.   Roll Eyes  Which is worse?

Being visually impaired, I am sure the originator of this thread is aware of the Windows accessibility tools.  Looking at something through the magnifier is like looking through a keyhole no matter how large you make the magnifier window.  He was asking about two monitors and re-sizable windows, not how to use the Windows magnifier!

Gene
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »

What I would do if visually impaired is get a 37" or bigger flat screen monitor (LCD TV) that is got very good resolution and hook it up to my computer via vga or hdmi.    If you want two I would get two of them.  I am thinking of doing this anyway and am only partially visually impaired now (actually since the laser surgery only with reading).

Doc
KX0O
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »

What I would do if visually impaired is get a 37" or bigger flat screen monitor (LCD TV) that is got very good resolution and hook it up to my computer via vga or hdmi.   
Doc
KX0O

Altho I am not yet visually impaired I am getting old. I have done just what you suggested. I have 2 monitors, a 32' Sony 1080i LCD TV fed thru HDMI and a Sanyo 26' 720p LCD fed thru the VGA port.

The Sony is outstanding better than any computer monitor I have ever used. I highly recommend a 1080i TV as the Sony is much better than the Sanyo as far as clarity. I have tried the Sanyo on the HDMI connection and it still is not as good as the Sony. I have had this setup for 3 years and after getting used to it, I would never go back to a smaller monitor.

Stan K9IUQ
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »

Altho I am not yet visually impaired I am getting old. I have done just what you suggested. I have 2 monitors, a 32' Sony 1080i LCD TV fed thru HDMI and a Sanyo 26' 720p LCD fed thru the VGA port.

Stan K9IUQ

Hi Stan,

How far away from your operating position did you place them?

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

Hi Stan,
How far away from your operating position did you place them?
Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

That is easy to answer. I usually have my feet up on my L shaped desk while computing/radioing. My legs are around 31' long, so I would guess  30-33" from the Sony which is on the Desk. The Sanyo is above the Sony on a Shelf angled down towards my chair.  Cheesy

Also I have a  55" LG  LED 1080i TV in my Family room. Many times I have hooked this TV up to my laptop computer via HDMI cable and used a wireless mouse to the Laptop. I sit about 9-10 ft from the screen in a LazyBoy recliner.  Wink Now with this setup even a blind ham could see.  Wink  Only problem is my shack is not big enuff for a 55" monitor..  I do recommend the LED TV tho as they seem to be slightly better than a LCD TV.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:30:37 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »

My legs are around 31' long, so I would guess  30-33" from the Sony which is on the Desk.  tho as they seem to be slightly better than a LCD TV.

Stan K9IUQ

Little Red Riding Hood: "Stan, what long legs you have!"
Stan: "The better to punch holes in the PowerSDR panadaptor!"
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

No stiff neck?

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »

My legs are around 31' long, Stan K9IUQ
Little Red Riding Hood: "Stan, what long legs you have!"
Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

Now that was a whopper of a typo!  Shocked

Stan K9IUQ
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »

Hi All,

I'm interested in sdr radios and might buy one.
Because I have a slight visual impairment I would like the software to run on two monitors and be fully configurable. I would like to be able to drag and redimension certain parts of the user interface on the second monitor. Any sdr software (bundled or not) permit this?

Thanks in advance

To show a few issues with Windows Magnifier when used with a SDR interface I made a video and placed it at http://www.receivedsignal.us  it is titled " Windows Magnifier Issues When Used With SDR" it shows the Windows Magnifier against a personal magnifier I quickly rolled myself with SDR interfaces in mind.  Something to consider if planning on using or purchasing  a magnifier.

If I get board I may add the code so it will talk to my Flex and put the freq on the Maggie screen.

Tim

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:37:46 AM by N9RO » Logged

Real techies don't use knobs.
KC9UJP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

not sure if this would work but I have hooked up a flat screen TV to the laptop to make the screen larger a 32 flat screen with HRD would look awesome . I think that it would just let you extend your monitor or just use the TV as a monitor  depending on the system you are using , Just a thought
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: