Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS mobiles/portables----2 way followed by voice comms  (Read 6176 times)
NL7SX

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »

I've used APRS many times over the years. It should work like this: Ham1 mobile is broadcasting position on APRS with a one or two line message stating the frequencies he is monitoring. Ham2 mobile notes on his computer he is within radio range of ham1, reads message, decides to give ham1 a call. Ham1 notes ham2's location on his computer turns up his receiver volume and answers the call.

The above sounds simple but I've never seen it done. I'd guess that the newest APRS VHF mobile may have an outboard vector line graphic display and the newest APRS VHF handheld might have a direction & distance indicator, but what is the best option for the above conditions? Your answer could include radio model, radio accessories required, computer display size. operating system, GPS required, software for imagery on computer, software to display APRS text information, etc.

Most hams know that eating a cheeseburger while slapping out 30 WPM code on a knee key and driving requires discipline. Please drive safe! 
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »

The TH-d72 and d710 have a frequency field. This was added to the APRS protocol some time ago. The B band settings are sent out in the beacon message to facilitate what you want. They also have a QSY softkey to tune your b band to the frequency automatically. I don't know if any other devices use this fieldor not.
NL7SX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

That is helpful. A local ham on our net tonight explained the VX-8DR & GR (GPS/bluetooth) in some detail but linking the radios to software and computer displays, etc was not in his knowledge base. The APRS message line is probably of many more characters than the frequency field. Doing all this while mobile is problematic :-) 
NL7SX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:59 PM »

VX-8DR will not work with UIview or APRS point says:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/129782-yaesu-vx-8gr-vs-kenwood-th-d72-2.html
K2ZA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »

http://www.aprs.org/avrs.html

I believe this is what you had in mind.

John K2ZA
NL7SX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »

Thank you John........I'm not sure.........but it is very interesting.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »

I've used APRS many times over the years. It should work like this: Ham1 mobile is broadcasting position on APRS with a one or two line message stating the frequencies he is monitoring. Ham2 mobile notes on his computer he is within radio range of ham1, reads message, decides to give ham1 a call. Ham1 notes ham2's location on his computer turns up his receiver volume and answers the call.

This is an old thread I know but the above is 90% right. The missing element is your transmitter is set to a PL of 100.0. If you are close enough to get the packet and decode it directly (important part) you should be within mobile range and be able to hail them on Simplex on 144.39 using PL of 100. No need to adjust a volume knob. Just make contact and QSY to another frequency of convenience. A lot of times I'll have them go to 440 because it won't interfere with the APRS tx.

I have done this in the past and it worked FB. Worked several folks this way and had a nice surprise chat. Better than calling out on 52.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: