Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McAfee problems  (Read 4057 times)
K0RS

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »

For those of you using McAfee security software, be aware that McAfee pushed out an update on Friday, 8/24 with a bad .DAT file.  Symptoms on your machine may vary depending on your OS or Windows version, but range from complete loss of internet connectivity to slow or incomplete loading of pages, error messages or even the blue screen of death.  Files were fixed by McAfee on Monday, 8/27.

McAfee claims the program can fixed by running McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT), but that was what started the problem on one of my machines.  I spent the better part of Monday figuring out and correcting the problem on my three PCs.  Fortunately my Windows 7 machine didn't lose internet connectivity entirely and I was able to get to the McAfee website.

The only sure way to correct the problem is do an uninstall from the Windows program manager.  Then run an uninstall program available from McAfee called MCPR.exe, available from McAfee.  It is important that you do this in that order.  You will, naturally, need to reinstall your security program, which can be downloaded from your user profile on the McAfee website and will have the new corrected files.

Of course none of this does you any good if you've lost internet connectivity entirely.  What a PITA.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »

In case it makes a difference I run McAfee's Stinger, the freeware manual version. The current DAT build shows as Version 10.2.0.752 dated 8/24/2012, virus data file as v1000.0000 on the same date.  No problems on Windows XP nor any prompt to download an update this morning. Typically it will prompt for a new version every 5-7 days.

More info about Stinger can be found here: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

Never change a password on a Friday                
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »

That is one reason I shun McAfee.  They don't let you control what their software will do, and as a matter of fact their stuff in considered to be a virus by other anti-virus software because THEY have control.  Kaspersky is the same way.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »

McAfee is crap and has been for a long time.  Symantec is no better either.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »

Norton and McAfee are both bloated beyond reason. They use too many resources (CPU/Memory) doing their job. A good anti-virus (malware) program should be unnoticeable. It should do it job, not ask any questions and be invisible. I have used them both along with AVG over the years.

I started using Microsoft Internet Security Essentials a year or more ago. It works, it's lightweight and you don't know it's there. So far it's the best I have found. It's also free.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 03:43:52 AM »

If you're running your machine with the minimal amount of memory (for example: Win 7 with only 1 gig memory) you're going to notice a speed difference with any add on security program you use.  You've got to have more than minimally sufficient memory to run your system without time lags becoming noticeable.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »

If you're running your machine with the minimal amount of memory (for example: Win 7 with only 1 gig memory) you're going to notice a speed difference with any add on security program you use.  You've got to have more than minimally sufficient memory to run your system without time lags becoming noticeable.

McAfee and Norton are still very bloated. There are more efficient solutions out there.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: