Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting my first BA restor (Hammarlund BC-1004), any hints and suggestions?  (Read 1942 times)
KD4EBL

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »

Hi all! Started my first BA restoration project. I recieved a Hammarlund BC-1004 that was partially restored many years ago. The reciever and power supply are in pretty good shape and I have located all the manuals and diagrams for it. I also have a speaker. I was told that it "should" work, but I plan on giving it a good cleaning first and then replace any orginal caps and resistors that look bad before trying to power it up. I plan on keeping this "stock" but not museum quality, hoping to add a nice reciever to my shack while I learn some elctronic basics and hone my soldering skills. I also know to watch out for the high voltage and be areful around the power cords in the back and to discharge all capacitors before touching them.

My second project will be restoring a SP-200 with the "Supering the Super Pro" mods that were listed in an early version of CQ magazine. The SP-200 and power supply have already been moded and I will have my hands full with this restoration. The BC-1004 will make a good comparison.

Any suggestions or hints for me? Outside of cleaning supplies, a soldering iron and a good meter, what test equipment might I need to buy or borrow that would help in my restoration attempts?
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

I am in the process of restoring/modifying a Hallicrafters SX-101. I replaced the wax-paper caps first, then removed a mod for a frequency counter. The unit still had problems, I found a tube socket had burnt and was resistive. I replaced it and the components around it. The audio still wasn't good, so I decided to replace the caps and resistors, and I am replacing most of the tube sockets with ceramics. I also incorporated a different RF amp circuit and tube for better AGC action.
It is kind of like doing a Heathkit, but you get to remove and replace components.
Good luck with your project!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »

Quote from: KD4EBL
Any suggestions or hints for me? Outside of cleaning supplies, a soldering iron and a good meter, what test equipment might I need to buy or borrow that would help in my restoration attempts?
Richard -

As you know, the Hammerlund BC-1004 is equivalent to the Hammerlund Super Pro SP-200-X.
The receiver IF for the SP-200 receiver is:  465 kHz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammarlund_Super_Pro

The SP-200 series Super-Pro receivers were manufactured through 1945, with many thousand delivered to the military during World War II and saw wide use by the U.S. Signal Corps. The Military designations for the receiver were BC-779-A/B (the most common), BC-794-B, BC-1004-C as well as R-129/U and R-270/FFR.
During World War II, government agencies like the FBI used the 200 Series Super-Pro at their listening posts.  
Many were used at ground stations in England to communicate with the Royal Air Force and U.S. Air Force armadas that flew bombing missions over Germany.

SWL and Antique Radio Receiver restoration is a specialized hobby, in itself !!
Phil Nelson has a good First Step page, for first time restorers:
http://antiqueradio.org/FirstStepsInRestoration.htm

AM Fone group
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=24033.0

A good work bench / work surface, good lighting, and hand magnifiers (or Luxo style with light).
Access to a tube tester would be handy, IF you have to go through several tubes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:24:41 PM by W9GB » Logged
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »

If you don't already have a digital camera, get one. Its one of the easiest ways to document what your doing. I did a extensive rebuild of a SX 28, and I took lots of notes and made drawings of what the 'guts' looked like. After I did that, I broke down and bought the camera. It's the best investment that I've made so far; saves lots of time putting things back together.

klc
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »

-Get a spiral bound notebook to make working notes, diagrams, parts lists, supplier info, reference data.  Date each entry and title them.  This will be your long term memory and savior.

-Have a working paper copy of the manual, schematic and parts lists that you can highlight, write on etc.

-Use a container to hold all removed parts until well assured the radio is restored and working

Minimum equipment
-DMM
-LCR component tester
-Solder wick, flux coated, or a bottle of liquid flux (will be your pal for ever)
-QUALITY 60/40 solder
-small wooden stick (chopsticks work great)
-shrink tubing, wire size
-needle nose pliers, diagonal cutters
-Plastic wands, assorted, kit (about $12 from supply house)  (diddle sticks)

Seriously consider buying one of the several good books on old radio repair.   

bill
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »

1. Get the user's manual and service manual.  Study each manual until you understand how the rig works.

2.  Study the rig until you can find each component or test point called out in the manuals.

3. Don't tinker or mess with the RF section / front end unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.  Changing capacitors or relocating components and wiring can knock the rig out of alinement or cause feedback.

4. Don't mess with the IF cans unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.   You can knock the IF amps out of alinement.  Many of the Hammarlund rigs need a sweep generator to properly set-up the IF amps.

5. If you have to realine the rig, DON'T OVER-ALINE.  You can cuase instability and feed bank in the RF and IF amps.

6.  If you're tired or fatigued, QUIT and rest!  You'll avoid mistakes.

N9LCD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: