Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep Flex-5000A or Sell and Buy K3?  (Read 17087 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »

I am a DXer as well and my theory is that if your audio sounds great, clear, ect, your more likely to be heard in pileups.

I have walked into many a pile ups and succeeded making contact on my first or second attempt.  I only run 300-500 watts as well.

My humble limited experience opinion is that great audio is a part of successfully DXing.

I sympathize with your plight though about options.

Urban legend would say that Kenwods have the better audio. 

My own experience is that I have heard many hams with great audio and bad audio and they often have the same rigs.  What's the variable there?  The user and their settings.

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »

I am a DXer as well and my theory is that if your audio sounds great, clear, ect, your more likely to be heard in pileups.

I agree 100% with this comment. DXers and contesters need a different kind of audio than a rag chewer, but good audio nevertheless. I suspect that many (most?) hams have no idea how to adjust their rigs for good audio nor how bad their audio often sounds.
W4ZV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »

I agree 100% with this comment. DXers and contesters need a different kind of audio than a rag chewer, but good audio nevertheless. I suspect that many (most?) hams have no idea how to adjust their rigs for good audio nor how bad their audio often sounds.

Exactly.  And BTW, do NOT follow N1EU's ESSB EQ settings referenced earlier if you're primarily interested in communications audio (i.e. maximum intelligibility for contesting/DXing).  ESSB is horrible for contesting/DXing.  Instead of boosting the low end, you want to truncate the lowest 3 bands (EQ = -16 dB) which wastes power in an area unimportant for optimum intelligibility.  You also want a +6 dB rise per octave for bands above 1000 Hz (e.g. 1600 Hz: +6dB, 2400 Hz: +10dB, 3200 Hz: +12dB).  Of course this assumes you're using a neutral (flat response) mike.  If using a mike like the Heil HC-4, it needs no EQ since its response is already tailored for communications audio.

One of the most important aspects of setting up the K3 is to first set MIC GAIN for proper ALC (follow the manual).  If this is done incorrectly (i.e knob fully to the right), the audio will sound bad no matter what EQ or compression settings are used.

73,  Bill
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

I am a DXer as well

I have walked into many a pile ups and succeeded making contact on my first or second attempt.

Urban legend would say that Kenwods have the better audio.  

A little DX brag huh? OK,

Did you try to work D64K on SSB? The Dxexpedition just ended a couple of weeks ago. Did you Get em on the first or second try on SSB? Did you get them at all on SSB or CW?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   Success in pileups like Comoros generated has many factors and Great SSB audio ain't one of them. Yes K9IUQ worked D64K a few times, on SSB and CW.  Wink     http://www.d64k.net/log-on-line/

D64K used K-3's and they sounded Nasty on SSB, about as bad as I have heard from a K-3. If they would have asked any of the hordes that worked them about SSB audio quality they would have gotten "great audio". Hams lie about many things but signal reports and audio quality are at the top of the list.

Note that the radio, microphone and your Voice all have to work together to get decent DX Audio or ragchew audio. What works for me may not work for you.

W4ZV gives some really good starting tips for DX audio. Listen to and record yourself thru another radio. Do not rely on the Xmitting Monitor.

Whatever you do - DO NOT rely on any other Ham to critique your SSB audio.

Also FWIW Great Kenwood SSB audio is not urban legend, it is fact and they earned it thru many years.

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »

Whatever you do - DO NOT rely on any other Ham to critique your SSB audio.

True, true...  Back when I had the Flex5K, I was showing another OM in my shack the TX equalizer settings.  I purposely set the 10 band eq to all kinds of different configurations to make sure audio was terrible - all pinched up one time and extraordinarily bassy the next.  The guys on the net all gave me great audio reports no matter how I messed it up.

Also FWIW Great Kenwood SSB audio is not urban legend, it is fact and they earned it thru many years.

Stan K9IUQ

NI0Z has not been a Ham long enough to tell fact form urban legend. 

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

Stan, Gene,

You totally got the intent of my urban legend statement all wrong.  It's not at all what you two are spinning back.

The urban legend remark is all about me being a new ham and not being able to actually validate statements like that.  So what I am saying is that he may want to actually check into the claim.

You two are not seriously going to suggest that clean clear audio is not a part of successful DXing are you?

Let's face it, your not going to sound any better on the distant end that you do coming out of your rig.  It's likely you'll sound less good to varying degrees.  I hear hams that over compress too much a lot to the point they are barely understandable and their call signs are not even comprehensible.

You see, the advantage of being new is I don't really have much bias.  I don't care about brands, never will either. I don't have to worry about someone saying something good about some other brand.  I don't get compelled to say things like good audio doesn't matter in DXs when I am debating whether a radio has good audio... No circular logic there is there guys?  Give us a break!

Tonight I got an few hours to play with the KX3.  Spoke to a gentleman in Albama and the first thing he said was I had really nice audio and was 20 over 59.  All I have changed on that KX3 is the mic gain and it sits at 23.

Have a blast, I am sure there is a lot you'll find to quote and pick at.  Remember though, your just debating a newbie.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:49:29 PM by NI0Z » Logged

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »

Stan, Gene,

your just debating a newbie.  Smiley

I am beginning to think debating is your goal.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:38:02 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:56 AM »

not being able to actually validate statements like that.  So what I am saying is that he may want to actually check into the claim.

Why not do what I do? I do not post anything I can not prove.

Instead of posting fiction you can not validate why not post facts you can prove? Otherwise do not post it. You should know by now that if you post crap here, someone is going to call you on it.

Gene made a fool of you in another thread because you made statements that were above your knowledge level. Is this how you want to be known?

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:36:10 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »

Stan,

Yup, I have made a mistake or two here, and I have learned a lot. I have admitted my mistake as well and was just lambasted and put down more.

I think that says more about others than it does about me, I can live with that.

I just have a different way of saying things sometimes.

There was absolutely nothing wrong in the way I said urban legend says Kenwood has the best audio.  There's nobody that has proof of it one way or another.  It was a complement to Kenwood that you guys flipped backward.  Surely you can see that now can't you?

The thing is here in these forums, there is a lot said that's opinion.  If you guys would look for the good in what people try to say instead of assuming they have some bad agenda, you two wouldn't have such a go of it all the time.

There is a saying out there that goes something like this, it may be more foolish to argue with some one you think is foolish making you more of a fool than the person is whom you think foolish.  The real foolishness of this is thinking your less a fool than someone else.

Think on it a bit!  I didn't say this to imply you too are fools either. 

See you guys around!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 03:42:33 AM »

I am beginning to think debating is your goal.

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 04:34:57 AM »

Actually Stan,

I believe my goal is to get the better side of you out on these forums.  The negativity doesn't suit you at all in my humble newbie opinion.  I see a ham with a wealth of knowledge to be shared with folks here.

When your in wise ham mode I learn a lot from you..  Not so much when your chewing my tail off over opinions.

Yes, I have gotten e-mails about you as well, one just the other day about how you seemed to be changing for the better.

My humble young advice is go with the good stuff!  You'll be much more respected!  You are at your best when you speak from your experience.

You have a ton to offer here Stan!  Ask us green hams questions as an alternative to tail chewings about where we got our info, what it is we mean.  You have to understand, we may have gotten bad info from another ham because if others learn from others as much as I do, then there are bound to be mistakes.  It's mostly good though.  I have learned a few pounds of the tons that will come in time.

I am going to leave you alone Stan.  It's in your hands now.  Let your wisdom rule the day here!

Drop me an e-mail if you ever want to chat! 

I believe in the wise ham Stan, he's great to work with!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »

I believe my goal is to get the better side of you out on these forums.  The negativity doesn't suit you at all

I have only one goal when I post. To share the truth as I know it. Negativity depends on your viewpoint. There is nothing wrong with negative posts - as long as it is the truth. Many hams will not tolerate truthful posts especially if the post is about equipment they own.

If you want positive feel good, non-negative reading go to the Flexradio Reflectors.  Wink
I suspect it will suit you.

I am going to leave you alone Stan. 

Somehow I doubt it. You always seem to want to have the last word.

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 07:15:30 AM »

I am going to leave you alone Stan.  

Somehow I doubt it. You always seem to want to have the last word.

Stan K9IUQ

More posting means more exposure/sales for his book.  Wink

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »

More posting means more exposure/sales for his book.  Wink
Gene

I already said that, months ago..  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

Just ignore me if you don't like what I have to say, I plan on doing the same for you.

if you ignore me you lose the opportunity to plug your website every post.  Cheesy
Stan K9IUQ

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »

I already said that, months ago..  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

Ha ha... so you did. Cheesy I am sure many other have had the same thoughts too.

Gene
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: