Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep Flex-5000A or Sell and Buy K3?  (Read 21576 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

I'm thinking of selling the 5000A and getting another K3.

I just ran across your recent review of the Flex 5K here on eham. It is one of the most honest reviews I have seen. You have owned the 5K long enuff to be well out of the honeymoon review stage. When I reviewed the Flex 5K I had only owned it a short time. I gave it a 5. Of course it did not deserve a 5. If I were to review the Flex 5K today I would give it a honest 3.

There are a lot of guys dumping the Flexradios right now and the prices have dropped dramatically. Prices will drop even more once the 6000 series starts shipping. If you are serious about changing radios, now is the time to do it.

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »

If you are serious about changing radios, now is the time to do it.

Good point. I wonder what's the best way to sell it? eBay? Ad on QRZ.com? Listing it for sale on the Flex reflectors?
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »

You might try a nearby club as you might actually get a little more for it.  If that doesn't work I have used QTH with good success twice!

If you are in the Midwest (sorry didnt look you up) you might try Larry's List, some of my stuff went in minutes there.

Good luck and hope your next rig works out better!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 04:23:15 AM »

Good point. I wonder what's the best way to sell it? eBay? Ad on QRZ.com? Listing it for sale on the Flex reflectors?
Jerry,
I have sold about $8000 worth of ham gear on the internet in the last 5 or 6 years. Since it is free I always advertise on Qth.com, eham and QRZ.com. I do not use ebay nor do I use Paypal. I require postal money order or certified check. I have taken personal checks on smaller items. I wait until I am positive funds have cleared before shipping. Also I always research the buyer. So far I have had nothing but good experiences. Before I place an ad I always research prices. I want to sell and try to price reasonable and competitive.

I did not advertise on the Flex Reflectors since I had been banned from posting there.  Cheesy

I have sold 70% thru QTH, 20% thru QRZ and the rest thru eham. I believe eham does the least selling because eham requires a ham to be a paid member to see the ad in the first 24 hours. This affects selling results since it is not unusual for gear to sell the first day. My Flex 5K took 5 or 6 days to sell. I lowered the price twice.

Since it is free to advertise on the ham sites I always Donate $$ to the site selling my equipment.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:26:28 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »

Good point. I wonder what's the best way to sell it?

I saw your ad on QTH and QRZ. I especially like the nice clear picture. Many hams use a cell phone to take the ad picture and end up ruining the ad. I always figure if someone is sloppy with the ad, they have been sloppy with the equipment.

Good Luck, you are doing the smart thing....

Stan K9IUQ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:52 AM »

"Sloppy with ad, sloppy with the equipment."

That's basically what I said about this CL ad I mentioned in the Boat Anchor forum. Still this huge BA hoard from Springfield Mo is intriguing. A rare SX-115 can be spotted in the middle shot. It's not easy to find since the pics are poorly lighted, out of focus... and sideways!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/3244551473.html

Stan, why don't you drive over there and take a look. 
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

Stan, why don't you drive over there and take a look.  

Hi Jeff, long time no see on SDR forum. Well I do like (actually love) vintage gear. The problem tho with the Craiglist ad is it is in SW MO. I am only 25 miles from Cape Giradeau which is in SE MO. If I told my wife I was going to SW MO to buy some gear she would want to go along. That is because Branson is one of her favorite vacation spots. Branson of course is in SW MO. That vintage gear trip would cost me lots of $$$$ Because Branson ain't cheep....  Cheesy

She likes Springfield, MO also, lots of Antique stores in that area.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:59:29 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »

Well I do like (actually love) vintage gear.

All hams do, apparently. I'm cleaning up my shack, so I spent some time yesterday looking at zillions of ham shack photos online. The amount of old junk -- I mean "classic radios"-- out there is astounding. I think the entire Collins civilian output from the 50s/60s survives. Understandable perhaps. But I see similar hoards of utter garbage... 100lb Heath transmitters for example.

The old stuff is fun to look at, fun to restore. but few of us will want even an SX88 or KW-1 in our retirement home room. Well, I MIGHT buy a mint Hallicrafters SX-88 and that's about it. (and my son's a ham and EE).

Still, I'm sure he'd rather have the cash. I don't think anyone under 40 collects anything these days.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »

The amount of old junk -- I mean "classic radios"-- out there is astounding.

I wonder how many SDR's we will see reach "Classic Radio" status in 40 or 50 years? Will some ham in the future still run vintage radio AKA Flexradio 5K. Somehow I doubt it.

Running Vintage Radios on the vintage Mode AM is still alive and well. Of course it is Vintage Hams running the radios. I only do AM in the cooler months. My air conditioning can not keep up with a Johnson Valiant.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »

I would affirm the input made earlier that the K3 sucks as an SSB rig.  I know about 6 hams who own them and only 1 sounds decent on SSB and that is using a hand microphone (so it sounds OK but like a hand mike).  One of my good friends spent 6 weeks trying to get his K3 to sound as good as his ICOM MK5 both using an RE27.  After neumerous sessions on email and the phone with Elecraft engineering he had no success.  I don't know what is wrong but there are too many audio problems I have tried to help with and no one has good audio.  Heck, even a Kenwood TS590 sounds great compared with the K3's I have heard (and costs less0.

Just my opinion,

Greg
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

I would affirm the input made earlier that the K3 sucks as an SSB rig.  

Heck, even a Kenwood TS590 sounds great compared with the K3's I have heard (and costs less0.

I have no grudge against Elecraft and the K-3. In fact I have much respect for the company as almost every comment I have seen says the support is outstanding. I know personally of a local ham having trouble with his K-3 and getting beyond belief Elecraft support to fix the problem. So urban legend says Elecraft is a top notch company to deal with.

However urban legend also says K-3 SSB xmit audio sucks and RX audio is not much better. I have affirmed this legend with my own ears. Dxers and Contesters put up with these quirks because of the K-3's superior DX RX performance..

I will not as I am neither a hardcore Contester or Dxer. I am a all around average ham that expects any modern radio to have good audio on RX or TX.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:29:34 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

However urban legend also says K-3 SSB xmit audio sucks and RX audio is not much better. I have affirmed this legend with my own ears. Dxers and Contesters put up with these quirks because of the K-3's superior DX RX performance..

Is there a rig in roughly the K3's price range that has superior DX RX performance and good audio?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:25 AM »

Is there a rig in roughly the K3's price range that has superior DX RX performance and good audio?

Depends on your definition of superior. I bought a TS-590s after I dumped my Flex 5K and have been very satisfied. Except for not having a second RX, it is as good as my old 5K for working DX. I do not feel handicapped at all. The Kenwood audio is very good and it is a very easy rig to operate. Also I work and hear a lot of Yaesu FT-950s and they all sound excellent on SSB. Sherwood recently rated that model.

I plan to upgrade to a radio that has 2 RX's later this year, maybe around Christmas. At this moment I would buy a Icom 7600. I have previously owned the Icom Pro II and Pro III and was extremely happy with them. I have owned many other Icom HF radios in the past and have never regretted buying any of them.

Remember tho, different strokes for different folks. I am not a hardcore DXer. I do lots of CW, ragchew on 40 SSB and do digital modes. I want a radio that is not frustrating to use, a radio that does not need a manual open to operate. I want good xmit audio and pleasant RX audio. I need FM and AM modes. I usually operate AM with my Vintage gear but want the AM mode on any radio I buy. FM too, because I operate FM on 10 meters.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:19:14 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:43 AM »

Depends on your definition of superior. I bought a TS-590s after I dumped my Flex 5K and have been very satisfied. Except for not having a second RX, it is as good as my old 5K for working DX. I do not feel handicapped at all. The Kenwood audio is very good and it is a very easy rig to operate. Also I work and hear a lot of Yaesu FT-950s and they all sound excellent on SSB. Sherwood recently rated that model.

I plan to upgrade to a radio that has 2 RX's later this year, maybe around Christmas. At this moment I would buy a Icom 7600. I have previously owned the Icom Pro II and Pro III and was extremely happy with them. I have owned many other Icom HF radios in the past and have never regretted buying any of them.

Remember tho, different strokes for different folks. I am not a hardcore DXer. I do lots of CW, ragchew on 40 SSB and do digital modes. I want a radio that is not frustrating to use, a radio that does not need a manual open to operate. I want good xmit audio and pleasant RX audio. I need FM and AM modes. I usually operate AM with my Vintage gear but want the AM mode on any radio I buy. FM too, because I operate FM on 10 meters.

Stan K9IUQ

If you don't mind not having a panadapter, why not another TS-590s for your second RX?  Two TS-590s'es are still less money than fully fitted K3 with accessories.

Gene
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »

Depends on your definition of superior. I bought a TS-590s after I dumped my Flex 5K and have been very satisfied.

How is the 590s on digital modes? When I'm not DXing, I spend most of my time doing PSK31, Olivia, and JT65-HF.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: