Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep Flex-5000A or Sell and Buy K3?  (Read 21619 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:36 AM »

How is the 590s on digital modes? When I'm not DXing, I spend most of my time doing PSK31, Olivia, and JT65-HF.

Outstanding and no interface needed as it uses the USB Port with USB Audio Codecs. I have not tried JT-65 with it as I got pretty bored with that mode a couple of years ago. I had a long chat with Reunion Island this morning on PSK31 at 25 watts which is what I normally run on PSK. I bought the optional TCXO.

I use HRD and DM 780 software for the digital stuff. There is a bug in DM 780 for the TS-590s. If you select the Rig as TS-590s the USB xmit codec will not work.

It does work fine with FLdigi or Mvari.

I researched around and found that you need to select the TS-480 as the Rig. DM780 will then work fine with the TS-590s.

Another thing I really like is the TS-590s supports 2 different Menus. Menu A and Menu B. These menus have all the settings of the radio. There are 87 settings. The Ts-590s readout can be one of 2 colors, green or amber. I have set Menu A for CW and SSB operations. It is green readout. I have set Menu B for Digital modes. It has a amber readout. I can switch back and forth by just hitting a front panel button. Real convenient, a feature every radio should have.

Also note I have not had any ALC overshoot problems and my TS-590s has always put out 95-120 watts depending on the band. I use a LP-100a wattmeter which does PEP and is extremely accurate.I run a AL-1500 amp with the TS-590s for Dxin pileups on SSB or Cw. Just 25 watts on digital modes though...

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:07:48 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:22 AM »

Has anybody heard if 2.44 patch fixes the CW issues?

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

How is the 590s on digital modes? When I'm not DXing, I spend most of my time doing PSK31, Olivia, and JT65-HF.

Outstanding and no interface needed as it uses the USB Port with USB Audio Codecs. I have not tried JT-65 with it as I got pretty bored with that mode a couple of years ago. I had a long chat with Reunion Island this morning on PSK31 at 25 watts which is what I normally run on PSK. I bought the optional TCXO.

I use HRD and DM 780 software for the digital stuff. There is a bug in DM 780 for the TS-590s. If you select the Rig as TS-590s the USB xmit codec will not work.

It does work fine with FLdigi or Mvari.

I researched around and found that you need to select the TS-480 as the Rig. DM780 will then work fine with the TS-590s.

Another thing I really like is the TS-590s supports 2 different Menus. Menu A and Menu B. These menus have all the settings of the radio. There are 87 settings. The Ts-590s readout can be one of 2 colors, green or amber. I have set Menu A for CW and SSB operations. It is green readout. I have set Menu B for Digital modes. It has a amber readout. I can switch back and forth by just hitting a front panel button. Real convenient, a feature every radio should have.

Also note I have not had any ALC overshoot problems and my TS-590s has always put out 95-120 watts depending on the band. I use a LP-100a wattmeter which does PEP and is extremely accurate.I run a AL-1500 amp with the TS-590s for Dxin pileups on SSB or Cw. Just 25 watts on digital modes though...

Stan K9IUQ

I just wanted to also put a plug in for the LP-100a meter.  I highly recommend it. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5981

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »

I just wanted to also put a plug in for the LP-100a meter.  I highly recommend it. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5981

Gene

I have owned the LP-100a for several years. When I first got it, it blew me away. I had never owned such a wonderful meter that does so much. I met Larry at the Dayton hamfest at his booth one year. After talking to him for a while I could understand why it is such a marvelous designed meter. FWIW the eham reviews have it at perfect 5 with 127 reviews. Not much gear gets a perfect 5 with that many reviews. Especially with cranky never pleased hams..   Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »

Outstanding and no interface needed as it uses the USB Port with USB Audio Codecs.

So you get audio in and out of the 590s via the USB cable? Do you configure this in Windows, or does it require special support in digital mode software (DM 780, Fldigi, etc)? How does the software key the rig? Via the serial port?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:41:56 PM by W6UV » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

Outstanding and no interface needed as it uses the USB Port with USB Audio Codecs.

So you get audio in and out of the 590s via the USB cable? Do you configure this in Windows, or does it require special support in digital mode software (DM 780, Fldigi, etc)? How does the software key the rig? Via the serial port?

This might help.
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/june2012/sstv_quickstart_for_ts_590s.htm

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »

Yes the USB Audio Codecs act just like any soundcard. The levels can be set in the windows soundcard mixer and there are level adjustments also in the Kenwood Menus. No Special Support Needed, it acts like any other soundcard.  Rig can be Keyed by either a CAT command or DATA VOX builtin to the radio. Also DM780 can send CW thru the Kenwood CAT. This makes it ridiculously easy to send CW from the keyboard. It also receives CW quite well also. It is very easy to setup the TS-590s for Digital and nothing else is required besides a USB cable.

Also a VERY nice feature of the TS-590s is it supports TWO CAT connections at the same time. One thru the USB port and another thru it's serial Port. This is the first radio I have owned that allows this and I use it Quite a bit. Kenwood gives owners an excellent Free software Program (ARCP-590) for running the radio from a computer. It also lets you manipulate the 18 Band TX/RX audio equalizers very easily. It is much easier to change Menu settings thru the software. Usually I run ARCP-590 on the USB port and HRD/DM780 on the serial port. The whole radio can be operated from the computer thru the Kenwood ARCP-590 software. Only touch the knobs when you want to feel old school.  Wink Very versatile.

Kenwood also has free Software to remote the Radio over a Network like the Internet and use the computers speakers and microphone to run the radio. I have not tried those.

Freebies here: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/software_download.html

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:54:09 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »

I'll take a trip to HRO this weekend and check out the 590s. Sounds like a cool rig.

I'm in the process of putting up a tower, which is why I'm trying to keep the budget for the rig down on the theory that I'd rather have a cheaper rig connected to a great tower/antenna combination than a superstar rig attached to a mediocre antenna.

Another rig I might consider is the Yaesu FTDX3000, which looks like a nice rig, but it's still vaporware.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »

Another rig I might consider is the Yaesu FTDX3000, which looks like a nice rig, but it's still vaporware.

Hmmm, HRO is taking orders now at $2800 and delivery by the end of the month..

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »

I hope the new Yaesu doesn't have the problems the FT-2000 had (and still has). I've always liked that rig, but never bought one because of all the negative reviews.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »

Good point. I wonder what's the best way to sell it?

Since you have had your 5K for sale over a week and just posted a new Ad, can we assume that Flexradios are not flying off the shelf? This is a BIG drawback of owning a Flexradio - one that Flexers are hesitant to talk about. Flexradios do not sell as well on the used market as Knobbed Radios. Also as I found out (the hard way) the resale value of used Flexradios is much lower than knobbed radios. This should be something one thinks about before buying a New Flexradio of any kind.

It is even worse now since there have been so many used Flex 5Ks on the used market. Once the 6000 series starts shipping (Maybe next year- you heard it first from K9IUQ  Cheesy ) the situation will be dire.

Do not despair Jerry, your radio will sell. You just have not found the magic selling price yet.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:15:19 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WJ0G

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »

Jerry..

Speaking of selling---does your 5000a have the second receiver by chance?

...looking for used that has it..

Thanks!
Tim

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »

Jerry..

Speaking of selling---does your 5000a have the second receiver by chance?

...looking for used that has it..

No, it doesn't. It's just the base rig. It's sold now anyway. :-)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »

My Flex-5000A is now on its way to its new owner and I've decided on a new rig to replace it.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »

Even the smallest Flex will outstrip any knobbed radio for digi modes at 5 watts.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: