Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep Flex-5000A or Sell and Buy K3?  (Read 18675 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »

Even the smallest Flex will outstrip any knobbed radio for digi modes at 5 watts.

For what definition of "outstrip"?
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

Even the smallest Flex will outstrip any knobbed radio for digi modes at 5 watts.

The definition of, "a sub-$700 dsp based all mode qrp HF-6m radio with multiple assignable antenna ports and no need for a special interface between PC and Radio for digi modes".

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »

The definition of, "a sub-$700 dsp based all mode qrp HF-6m radio with multiple assignable antenna ports and no need for a special interface between PC and Radio for digi modes".

I assumed you meant that it would out-perform any knobbed radio... (which is BS.)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »

There are other manufacturers waiting in the wings to produce a knobbed SDR radios. Besides ADAT there is this manufacturer who is on the right track.

http://www.reuter-elektronik.de/index.html

Putting knobs on SDR radio is not hard if you know what you doing  and have the incentive to do so. People like Flexradio dont want to do because of  marketing reasons.   If they really sat down and designed a  front panel seriously
they would not have to chop and change the design every 6 months. A well designed front panel with knobs could be used across a whole platform of different radios. You could get a return on your investment over many radio models.
The Japanese manufacturers do this. If you study their circuit diagrams its the same electronics  on different PCB's for different models. Its  very rarely totally a 100% a new design.

I would not be giving up on knobbed radios yet. Its just that manufacturers just have a grip on or understanding of how to go about  designing  and utilizing  the many available embedded  industrial processors and systems that are readily available.  I just bought a google nexus and I was thinking WOW what a fantastic front panel it would make. Its just so responsive and fast. If only I could just attach a USB cable and plug it into a K3 and P3. There we go knobbed SDR radio with touch screen and no PC!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2012, 04:32:33 AM »

My Flex-5000A is now on its way to its new owner and I've decided on a new rig to replace it.

So did you put a huge down payment on a new and improved, full of promises,  to be delivered a long time in the future Flexradio?    Wink

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

My Flex-5000A is now on its way to its new owner and I've decided on a new rig to replace it.

So did you put a huge down payment on a new and improved, full of promises,  to be delivered a long time in the future Flexradio?    Wink

Nope. I'm getting a Yaesu FTdx-5000.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

I am guessing you won't be disappointed!

Precongratulations on the awesome new rig!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

Exactly what I would choose if I had a good paying Job and no wife...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »

Exactly what I would choose if I had a good paying Job and no wife...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

I think I would wait until the TS-990 hits the streets before deciding between it and the FTdx-5000.

Gene
(composed on my iPad)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

I think I would wait until the TS-990 hits the streets before deciding between it and the FTdx-5000.

Yeah but then I would have to have a good paying job and and an understanding wife that has a good paying job too.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »

That's still a possibility considering I'm in no hurry to buy right away as I don't have an antenna at the moment. I'm going through the permitting process for a tower, so won't have anything up for at least another two months. By then the TS-990 may be out and I'll take a look at it.

I probably will still get the FTdx-5000, however, as I really like its ergo control layout and overall feel.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »

TS-990 does look cool though!  Wonder how it will fair in the infamous Sherwood tests?

https://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZKW-TS-990S-R

Couple of videos showing off the displays at the link above.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: