Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 51J-4 VFO Adjustment tool  (Read 1568 times)
W7GIF

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »

Does anyone have a 51J-4 VFO adjustment tool (co-axial spanner wrench and screwdriver) that they can spare? VFO trimmer needs adjustment  (dial end-point errors are consistent band-to band).

Thanks......
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »

is this a locknut over split shaft adjustment?  Sears has hollow-shaft nutdrivers on the rack... drill through the handle, get a long-blade screwdriver, should fill the bill.  might need to use a "lineman's bit", but they should have those also.

used to be standard Xcelite parts for this, but availiability is substantially lacking from what it was in the 60s and 70s.
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

is this a locknut over split shaft adjustment?  Sears has hollow-shaft nutdrivers on the rack... drill through the handle, get a long-blade screwdriver, should fill the bill.  might need to use a "lineman's bit", but they should have those also.

used to be standard Xcelite parts for this, but availiability is substantially lacking from what it was in the 60s and 70s.
Thanks for the lead. I've modified several Xcelite nut drivers to convert them to spanner wrenches for various projects. The hollow-shaft drivers would be a real advantage, since the Xcelite's that I've modified have solid shafts, and are a real pain to drill out. Fortunately, I've had a ham on the Collins Collectors forum volunteer to loan me his Collins tool. Pretty darn generous of him.

Thanks again, and I'll likely fashion my own tool using your suggestion, for any future needs.

73's.....
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »

I made one from a screwdriver with a thin blade 7/32" wide. I used a Dremel motor tool with a metal grinding tip to grind a slot 5/32" wide and 1/4" deep. This left a fork tip with two 1/32" tips.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: