Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tried to work my first ten meter contact tonight!  (Read 1317 times)
VIPER21700

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »

Ok gents, heres the rig first.
AN/PRC-104 HF radio, two BB5590 LiON milspec batteries
Freq- 28.450
Antenna- 15Ft manpack Whip (didnt have my AT-984 wire reel)

The contact I heard was YV4CEA, apparently its a user from Venezuala! I was happy I could hear him! Clear as a bell. I didnt think I would talk to him, but I gave it a shot anyways. No luck, but Im hooked! Now I just need to get my wire rig out, and see if this old 20W manpack can talk to some people. I did talk to one of my local guys (Down in Quantico, Im outside of Belvoir) He had me earlier with an S5 strength, so I know it puts out power clearly lol.
Just wanted to throw my fun for the night out there. Next- Time to get my general!
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

That's what amateur radio is all about, HAVING FUN!!!
Randy AJ4RW
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »

Freq- 28.450

The contact I heard was YV4CEA, apparently its a user from Venezuala! I was happy I could hear him! Clear as a bell. I didnt think I would talk to him, but I gave it a shot anyways. No luck, but Im hooked! Now I just need to get my wire rig out, and see if this old 20W manpack can talk to some people. I did talk to one of my local guys (Down in Quantico, Im outside of Belvoir) He had me earlier with an S5 strength, so I know it puts out power clearly lol.
Just wanted to throw my fun for the night out there. Next- Time to get my general!

It looks like you have all you need to get started on becoming a DX nut like the rest of us Grin Best of luck and good DX on your future endeavors! Let us know when you make your first DX contact so we can share the congrats Michael.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:49:09 PM by K7KB » Logged
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »

I have worked a couple of friends in the UK who were using ex military manpacks. I am in North Carolina, so that was quite a haul,. This was on 15m and they were 57 with me. We chatted for quite a time. They were running about 17 watts ssb I think.

73 Mark N1UK
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

When ten meters is open, you'll do GREAT with 20watts.  Sounds like you're on the way to a bunch of FUN!   Smiley  73 GL!
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »

Freq- 28.450

Good on you for trying! One thing i will say - dont get downhearted if you dont have great success. Ive seen people get ex-mil manpacks, then complain they cant work people. They seem to forget that these sets are not designed for working weak amateur signals, they are designed to be robust and survivable in battle conditions! Your signal with 20w to a manpack whip is going to be weak, much as my 100w to my mobile whip is often week. Take a look at what the military use on the other end of the link! Rarely is a skywave contact from a manpack expected to be received by another manpack, they use a comcen with BIG antennas! The hard work of the contact is done by the fixed (or temporary) big antennas of the communications center.

So, whats my point? Look for nice, BIG signals! Take the VK3 i heard yesterday - S9 +40dB at my mobile station in the UK. His antenna? 4x 5el stacked beams for 20m!

Have fun, but let the big guns do the hard work!

Using 10m, or 20m and up, is a good idea, as your making the most of the short antenna

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: