Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX cluster question (i.e., my US state is wrong when I spot)  (Read 1915 times)
W4PAH

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »

Whenever I spot a station on the DX cluster, it always shows me as living in NC. I have tried using set/qth and set/location to change my info, but that has no effect on what's returned when I send a spot. I found this command (-show/usdb <callsign>-, recently, and it returns the following information about me (but this command doesn't work on all clusters, either):

show/usdb w4pah
W4PAH   -> Chapel Hill, NC

I haven't lived in Chapel Hill, NC since early 2009--over 3.5 years ago. Since then, I lived in Carrboro, NC, and now live in Madison, WI (for the past 10 months).

Apparently this is pulling from some database that is very old.

I don't really care that much, but if someone is filtering spots by state, it could lead to (1) people who are looking for spots from WI missing out on a spot I made, or (2) people looking for spots from NC wondering where the signal is, since I'm hearing it in WI. This also means that other people who have moved from one state to another are still showing up with bad US state info.

Anyone got any ideas for this one?

Thanks!
-john W4PAH
Madison, WI
N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »

John,

What method are you using to spot?  Are you using a logging program that has that capability?  If so, maybe your preferences there need to be looked at.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

I've never found it necessary to use "spotting" to work DX, so I'm not quite familiar.  You refer to THE DX cluster.  Is there only one?  If there are more than one, do others show you in NC also?

You might best contact the website itself.  AND, just to close the loop, you might want to check the FCC database if you haven't already - just to make sure the hiccup isn't on their end.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

What method are you using to spot?  Are you using a logging program that has that capability?  If so, maybe your preferences there need to be looked at.

I use N3FJP's AC Log software usually. I don't believe there are any preferences I can set there.

I usually use the TDXS cluster, but have also used the WR3D cluster. In neither of them can I set my US state. It's set by some "database" somewhere.

I've never found it necessary to use "spotting" to work DX, so I'm not quite familiar.  You refer to THE DX cluster.  Is there only one?  If there are more than one, do others show you in NC also?

Yes, both clusters (see above) show me as in NC.

You might best contact the website itself.  AND, just to close the loop, you might want to check the FCC database if you haven't already - just to make sure the hiccup isn't on their end.

I tried contacting the TDXS a while back, but never received an answer on how to change this. I think all the clusters must be looking at some database.

I changed my QTH whenever I moved with the FCC. Definitely not wrong there...
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:49:28 AM »

Have you updated your change of address withe the FCC? You can do that on line via the ULS system. Since your ticket expires in 2014 my guess is that you have not yet updated and that may solve your problem.. I am not sure but I believe  clusters pull from the FCC database. Again, not sure but I think that's how it works. I think a email to N3FJP could confirm as he usually answers questions very quickly.
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »

Have you updated your change of address withe the FCC? You can do that on line via the ULS system. Since your ticket expires in 2014 my guess is that you have not yet updated and that may solve your problem.. I am not sure but I believe  clusters pull from the FCC database. Again, not sure but I think that's how it works. I think a email to N3FJP could confirm as he usually answers questions very quickly.

Hi. Yes, I updated it when I moved from Chapel Hill, NC to Carrboro, NC (spring 2009) and again when I moved from Carrboro, NC to Madison, WI (fall 2011).

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2581482

I'm really not sure what else to do...

It has less to do with N3FJP's software, I believe, than the clusters themselves. Using the -show/station w4pah- returns that I still live in Chapel Hill, NC.

I don't get it.  Huh
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »

Gotta say, me neither!
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

I had a similar problem which was solved with a simple email to the admins. at the web site I was using.  Have you asked them?

Sam
W9KDX
VE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Each node in the cluster has its own database.  The ones you have used are using old data.   My node (VE7CC-1) shows you as being in WI.  Many others do as well.

Lee VE7CC 
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »

I had the same problem with I got my vanity call, with the state of the previous holder showing up on spots. I contacted the FCC to make sure that their end was OK, and it was.

I then let the HRD guys know, because it was their spotter. And they fixed it.
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:32 AM »

Thanks, all. I have contacted the folks at the TDXS (the node I use), but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they can update their USDB soon to reflect these changes for me, and others. Your help is appreciated!
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 09:03:31 AM »

It has less to do with N3FJP's software, I believe, than the clusters themselves. Using the -show/station w4pah- returns that I still live in Chapel Hill, NC.

If it is the cluster data that is wrong when you do a 'show/station' then you can update that by doing a 'set/station' and entering the correct data.

George
K5TR
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

If it is the cluster data that is wrong when you do a 'show/station' then you can update that by doing a 'set/station' and entering the correct data.

Actually, you can't (at least on the TDXS server).
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »

For the record, I just switched to using the VE7CC cluster. I never heard back from the TDXS folks if they were going to update their USDB for their cluster, and the VE7CC cluster also has the ability to use skimmer spots. Ah well.

Looking forward to seeing how effective the skimmer spots are in finding "new ones".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: