Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EF Johson Avenger in estate gear at Grand Rapids swap meet this month  (Read 6318 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »

plenty of silicon transistors in the mid 60s were driving out the germanium.

EF Johnson got broken up... GE bought the landmobile radio stuff, capacitors went out east to the guys who bought Hammarlund variables (can't remember the company right now,) sockets and other ceramic parts became part of Emerson Electric.  keys, tuners, etc. went to Nye Electronics.

I had a Viking II and burned up the plate RF choke putting a shield on the driver tube.  they were still around in 1970, and for a letter asking the price of the choke, they sent one free.  they were probably shovelling stuff off the back dock into a dumpster about that time, but sad to see 'em go.  their stuff was hard to break.  partly because it was so darn hard to lift up first.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »

two 6HF5 sweep tubes were the final.

Those were used in the Swan 400 which was rated at "400 watts pep and 320 watts input on CW."  HP mobile?
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »

Everyone was using sweep tubes back then. Cheap and you could drive them hard. SSB audio "quality" wasn't high on everyone's list.

Pete, wa2cwa
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »

Speaking of Germanium transistors:  http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11365667

Had one of these years ago and gave it away as a gift. Now I wish I hadn't as it was a very cool looking radio. Performance was nothing to brag about, but at the time I thought it was a looker..............

Never change a password on a Friday                
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »

That is a fair point. I am sure as hell curious how much it sells for.

I too wonder about the level of bidding on the "$2,000-cost" Johnson Avenger. Did anyone here attend the swap meet?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

Everyone was using sweep tubes back then. Cheap and you could drive them hard. SSB audio "quality" wasn't high on everyone's list.

Yep. And there was also the fact that you could get sweep tubes at any TV repair shop, radio store, etc. Even a drugstore in a pinch! Not like 6146s.

The rig designers never imagined a day when a TV sweep tube would be far more rare and expensive than a "real" transmitting tube.

Then again, they probably never imagined that those rigs would still be in use 30, 40, 50 years on. When I became a ham back in 1967, nobody was using rigs from 1922 (45 years earlier). But today there are plenty of hams using (or trying to use) rigs from 1967 and earlier.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »

"Collins SSB rigs were selling for way less."

Huh?  What?  Look at a 1962 Collins Price List.  Of course their reputation and use of the latest technology supported their prices.

Greg
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 05:54:30 AM »

"Collins SSB rigs were selling for way less."

Huh?  What?  Look at a 1962 Collins Price List.  Of course their reputation and use of the latest technology supported their prices.

A KWM-2 cost about $1100 back then. That's a lot less than the ~$2000 Avenger. Remember that a dollar back then equals about $7 today.

For $2000 you could get a complete S-line with several options. The Avenger couldn't compete with that.

Squires-Sanders ran into the same problem.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »

And the earlier Collins KWM-1 cost $780, but it only had 10-20 meters. Power supply extra.

Looking back, the Collins stuff wasn't all that expensive for what you got.  BTW, U.S. minimum wage in 1960 was $1.00 per hour.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »

And the earlier Collins KWM-1 cost $780, but it only had 10-20 meters. Power supply extra.

Looking back, the Collins stuff wasn't all that expensive for what you got.

In the mid-50s Collins ran an ad showing what their past products had cost, what their approximate resale value was, and how much the unit cost per day to own. Did the same for competing rxs and txs. Their idea was that it actually cost less to own a Collins station because the stuff kept its value better.

They only ran those ads for a short time, though. I wonder why.....

BTW, U.S. minimum wage in 1960 was $1.00 per hour.

Yup. Which puts a different spin on how much a ham rig really cost in those days...

73 de Jim, n2EY
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »

Update on the Johnson Avenger for sale:

"The Grand Rapids (MI) Radio Association (GRARA) is offering for sale an E.F. Johnson Avenger 80-10 meter hybrid tube/transistor SSB and CW 100 watt transceiver, condition clean, nonworking but pilot lights do illuminate. Has dual VFO's and comes with a working AC power supply and an untested DC power supply. Includes original user/maintenance manual in good condition. Source: estate sale item not sold at Grand Rapids ARA hamfest swap meet.

Very few of these were made (see below).

$880 or highest offer above that received by 29 September 2012, buyer to pay cost of packing and shipping.

Contact this station via PM or (munged) [callsign] "at" e arth l ink "decimal" n et. All bids regardless of amount will be be forwarded to Grand Rapids Radio Association members handling the estate sale.

Cortland
KA5S"

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?361632-E-F-Johnson-Viking-Avenger-hybrid-80-10-1960-s-transceiver
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:13:51 PM by K0OD » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: