Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Not to Sell Valuable Radios (SX-115)  (Read 2323 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »

There was a thread on Eham last year about bad ads for radio equipment. The OPs main gripe was about poor photography. I just spotted this brand new Craigslist ad which could win a gold medal in that category. Poor lighting, out of focus... plus the shots are SIDEWAYS!

I'm not a BA collector but I glance thru local CL ads occasionally. This ad seems noteworthy in terms of quantity and BA quality. The hefty shelving suggests the owner was a serious collector/hoarder. I even took the time to rotate the three photos and spotted a mostly-hidden (middle photo) rare Hallicrafters SX-115. The phone number is from around Springfield MO (250 miles from me).

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/3244551473.html

Anyone know who the seller is. The "too much stuff to list" caption is plain stupid. How long would it take to list the most valuable pieces and give some basic info about them?

I'm guessing this may be an estate. Hate to see rare stuff go to a landfill.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »

The "too much stuff to list" is something of a ploy to encourage you to call. Your phone call is a sales opportunity.

As for the bad photography, there are situations where the seller is camera-challenged, but there are also sellers who want you to think they're a doofus. Easily tricked. Easily haggled into selling below true market value. You know, someone you can take advantage of, vulture capitalist that you are...........

Don't be so sure about that.   Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

Well, it's not an estate sale. Another ad for that hoard just showed up on the Kansas City CL, where the owner says he's selling "most of his equipment" because he's moving. Also says he's been collecting radios for 30 years. No call letters given.

How likely is it that someone who has been collecting for three decades couldn't be bothered with taking minimally acceptable photos or listing the equipment? For one thing, a listing would show up in Google and attract people searching for that exact item... real collectors with deep pockets, not local tire kickers.

If this is for real--it may not be--, it makes one wonder how much care was used in preserving the equipment.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »

Absolutely right.  Skill at posting photos online directly equates to radio care! 

Maybe the old boy is just getting on in years and not as sharp at all this computeralia.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »

So call him and see about getting a look at all the stuff!!
 Grin
If I lived anywhere near there I certainly would!
james
WD5GWY
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »

ZI bought a Collins 75A2, speaker, SX115 and speaker, and and HQ120 and other stuff at a local farm auction for less than $100 total. I forgot how much. Maybe it was $80?

The only radio I really liked enough to keep was the HQ120.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: