Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There are Visalia Videos of the FlexRadio Flex-6700 demo station  (Read 11745 times)
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

I've often wondered where the idiotic term "fanboy" originated.  I can't see how someone enjoying using the particular brand of radio they choose to use should make them a "fanboy" but if that's the case I was once a Kenwood "fanboy". Also have been a Yaesu "fanboy" on occasion. I've never been an Icom "fanboy", just never really cared for them.  But, I don't go around bashing them every chance I get. Lot's of folks like Icom and I say more power to them. They just aren't my favorite. I still don't get you guys who feel you have to bash things you don't like. If you don't like a brand of radio then by all means, don't buy it or use it. Use what you like and let others use what they like. Pretty simple concept. So simple even you and the rest of your ilk should be able to understand it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ

The reason why you are offended by the term fanboy is because you are one.  Funny that you jump out of the woodwork when the term is mentioned.

I'm not offended at all. For me to be offended I would have to care what you think which I can assure you I don't. I was just making a point which obviously escaped you.  No one is "jumping out of the woodwork" either, I visit eham and it's different forums  every few days. I just don't always post. When I do post, I use my name and my callsign, unlike someone like you who post and hides behind an anonymous ID. Do you even have a license? Just curious.
Michael, W4HIJ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

I've often wondered where the idiotic term "fanboy" originated.  I can't see how someone enjoying using the particular brand of radio they choose to use should make them a "fanboy" but if that's the case I was once a Kenwood "fanboy". Also have been a Yaesu "fanboy" on occasion. I've never been an Icom "fanboy", just never really cared for them.  But, I don't go around bashing them every chance I get. Lot's of folks like Icom and I say more power to them. They just aren't my favorite. I still don't get you guys who feel you have to bash things you don't like. If you don't like a brand of radio then by all means, don't buy it or use it. Use what you like and let others use what they like. Pretty simple concept. So simple even you and the rest of your ilk should be able to understand it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ

The reason why you are offended by the term fanboy is because you are one.  Funny that you jump out of the woodwork when the term is mentioned.

I'm not offended at all. For me to be offended I would have to care what you think which I can assure you I don't. I was just making a point which obviously escaped you.  No one is "jumping out of the woodwork" either, I visit eham and it's different forums  every few days. I just don't always post. When I do post, I use my name and my callsign, unlike someone like you who post and hides behind an anonymous ID. Do you even have a license? Just curious.
Michael, W4HIJ

If you did not care what I thought, you would not bother taking the time to respond to my posting.  If my user ID bothers you, please put me on ignore if you'd like.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »

Michael, W4HIJ

Michael, W4HIJ

If you did not care what I thought, you would not bother taking the time to respond to my posting.  If my user ID bothers you, please put me on ignore if you'd like.

Just exactly what I thought. You avoided the question. You either have no license or are too much of a coward to sign your name and  call. tsk tsk.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Michael
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »

Anonymous Poo Flingers are no more credible than any other run-of-the-mill internet junkie trollers. Some are uninformed tyros looking to gain status. Others are disgruntled luddites looking for acceptance.

Clue. Get a call. Post it along with your thoughts. Enter the discussion as a person, not an interloper. Become accepted, however eccentric or incredibly normal though you may be.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 09:09:56 PM »

Anonymous Poo Flingers are no more credible than any other run-of-the-mill internet junkie trollers. Some are uninformed tyros looking to gain status. Others are disgruntled luddites looking for acceptance.

Clue. Get a call. Post it along with your thoughts. Enter the discussion as a person, not an interloper. Become accepted, however eccentric or incredibly normal though you may be.
Actually I think I have an inkling who "SWL" might be. And if it's who I think, no one would want to waste their time getting to know and accept him anyway. At any rate, whether "SWL" is the person I think or is just some other cranky old malcontent, I'm going to actually take heed to one piece of his otherwise worthless  uninformed commentary and put him on ignore right along with the other coward I have there.
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:23:29 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 07:36:55 AM »

There are reports that the Alpha/beta 6500/6700 testers have now been released from their NDAs.

Their first production radio end user reports heading for their blogs very soon.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

There are reports that the Alpha/beta 6500/6700 testers have now been released from their NDAs.

Their first production radio end user reports heading for their blogs very soon.

Steve
K9ZW

Steve, read the same thing on the Flex Yahoo Group. Also, noted that it is part of an
"extended" beta group. Don't know if that is the extent of the shipping or not. If not,
then there will be a lot of early buy in's that will be disappointed. I have read a couple
of posts from people that bought in at Dayton last year and have not received any notification
of shipment or final payment request from Flex. Some have already paid out and are only
awaiting notice of shipment. Lots of folks on edge about this one. I do hope that Flex
starts shipping to more than just a select few "beta testers". Otherwise, they will take a pounding
on all the forums and user groups. (even more than they already get)
 One thing I noticed from the previous newsletter that was posted to the public on the Yahoo Group, is the radio's slice sizes have been upped dramatically!! From a max of 384Khz each to several Mhz in a single slice!
 That seems to have been lost in all the other talk. How useful that might be is open to debate.
Without a very broad banded antenna, it might not be that useful. But, an interesting development all the same. Having played around with the 6700 at Belton, just made me want one more! But, it's not going to happen for me anytime soon. (work in the oilfield in my area has fell WAY off!)
But, maybe by the time things pick up, I'll be able to afford one!
james
WD5GWY

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »

Steve
K9ZW

Steve, read the same thing on the Flex Yahoo Group. Also, noted that it is part of an
"extended" beta group. Don't know if that is the extent of the shipping or not. If not,
then there will be a lot of early buy in's that will be disappointed. I have read a couple
of posts from people that bought in at Dayton last year and have not received any notification
of shipment or final payment request from Flex. Some have already paid out and are only
awaiting notice of shipment. Lots of folks on edge about this one. I do hope that Flex
starts shipping to more than just a select few "beta testers". Otherwise, they will take a pounding
on all the forums and user groups. (even more than they already get)
 One thing I noticed from the previous newsletter that was posted to the public on the Yahoo Group, is the radio's slice sizes have been upped dramatically!! From a max of 384Khz each to several Mhz in a single slice!
 That seems to have been lost in all the other talk. How useful that might be is open to debate.
Without a very broad banded antenna, it might not be that useful. But, an interesting development all the same. Having played around with the 6700 at Belton, just made me want one more! But, it's not going to happen for me anytime soon. (work in the oilfield in my area has fell WAY off!)
But, maybe by the time things pick up, I'll be able to afford one!
james
WD5GWY

The slow roll out is FlexRadio's call - I can see some sense in what they are doing, and holding a very early position if the order number observations hold true I am as eager as anyone to get my hands on the new radio.

That said I am <<VERY>> content to be patient if the radio isn't ready. 

The slice size increase is really awesome - and the ability to make very decent use from non-optimal receive antennas has caught my attention. 

I had worried that I needed naturally resonant antennas on all bands (my current set up is 1:1.2 or better from 1.3 gHz to 20m, and on 40m, but requires significant tuning for 75/80 and 160m due to shortened antennas.  It also needs help to tune 60M and 30m, and requires antenna switching at the 40-20m and 6-2m jumps) though the videos and reports suggest I may have other alternatives. 

Rather I'm pondering how to get a second antenna cluster configured to make use of diversity reception.

Will be an interesting learning curve on my part when my order does arrive!

Steve
K9ZW

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »

There are more direct hands-on Flex-6700 reports (sounds like production hardware but alpha software) filling in more about the N6V special events station set-up.

Several qualitative reports bode very highly for the Flex-6700 receiver's capabilities.

The reports are linked from many blogs (google for them).

Steve
K9ZW

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »

There are more direct hands-on Flex-6700 reports (sounds like production hardware but alpha software) filling in more about the N6V special events station set-up.

Several qualitative reports bode very highly for the Flex-6700 receiver's capabilities.

The reports are linked from many blogs (google for them).

Steve
K9ZW

People should wait until independent reviewing and testing is done and not rely on what the Flex chosen beta testers are saying.  Those guys are not objective in their comments since Flex did them the "favor" of allowing them to be beta testers.

-robert
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »

I am sure its going to be quite the SDR, I have little doubt about that. 

Of course, SDR is all about Software.  From what I can tell they still have quite a ways to go towards providing a complete radio that provides all the General Purpose Ham functions.  Probably whats most suprising though to me is how much more work they have yet to get done to get the basics done.  They grossly missed their original timeline!  No real excuses for that, they need to get better at projecting dates. 

I wouldn't be suprised to see them launch here in 3Q but with incomplete software.  All said and done I bet they miss expectations by more than a year from the roginal projected release date.  By that I mean a full functional radio with bugs.  That means CAT control, all bands, all modes ect.  It goes back to posts I and others made a year ago.

All that said though, when done it should be a very nice transciever if the software is stable.

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

I am sure its going to be quite the SDR, I have little doubt about that. 

Of course, SDR is all about Software.  .....

All that said though, when done it should be a very nice transciever if the software is stable.

It will interesting to see how the SmartSDR (which is sort of like a "thin client" of SDR software) performs compared to PowerSDR (which is more the traditional distributed SDR software format).

Remember the process has to be there up and running to even do these demos.  The disconnected hooks are the HMI/GUI portion.

We'll also see over time if the strategy of having the "meat & potatoes" of the SDR all in the radio box (6x00 series) is more long term stable than the "half & half" SDR critical processes split between the radio and computer (5000/3000/1500 series)?

Fun stuff!

Steve
K9ZW

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »

Yep, interesting times indeed. It's nice to see more companies getting into
the SDR market. It just might make some prices drop a bit sooner than later.
  SmartSDR is indeed a "thin client" as it is only an interface from whatever computer
you run it on, to the radio and it's built in cpu etc. Depending on what Flex
decides to expose in the API's they have said they will be releasing to developers,
there should be applications coming (or at least easily developed for) all sorts of
networked devices. (wired and wireless) I think that will really help Flex Radio sell
the new radios, (barring any major bugs in the firmware itself).
  As for the early reviews by people that have been using the Alpha software etc.
I still think that their thoughts and opinions are valid. The one posted on the blog
by the guy that setup the station at Visalia, is very enthusiastic. But, at the same
time he did note that there were several common functions in the software that were
not working. He could have glossed over those, but, he did not.
Sure there was a lot of excitement in his statements, and why not? It's a new radio
and he got a chance (along with a lot of other people at the convention) to use the
radio. warts and all. He did not report any crashes or anything like that. And that was
with Alpha software that had only recently had transmit capabilities added to it.
  It will be interesting to see the actual numbers from the ARRL and others, once the
radio has been in general release.
james
WD5GWY

Oh, I forgot to say, I think that comparing the initial release of SmartSDR to PowerSDR
which is a more mature product, might be a bit lopsided. I believe like others, that, other
than some very basic functions, that SmartSDR will not really be ready for prime time, when
it does go public with the radios. Whereas, PowerSDR has had a lot of development time devoted
to it and a lot of bugs eliminated and improvements made to it. I would think the comparison would be more valid in a year or two, when SmartSDR has had more development time devoted to it.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:21:01 PM by WD5GWY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: