Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KX3 SDR  (Read 55060 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

Tablets rock!

Everything changes with time!

You sound like a Playbaby Tablet Tweeter that does Facebook and other nonsense.  Cheesy Cheesy  Wink
From the looks of it Gene is not going to change. he seems stuck with a mouse.

I am not ready to give up Desktop PC's yet. Maybe when Tablets get a bigger size I will change my mind. A 10 inch screen just ain't big enough for Seniors. I use a 32' monitor on my PC. Somehow I can not see a 32' Tablet in my lap but maybe a 15' Tablet would be about right.  Shocked

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:07:38 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »

Tablets rock!

You sound like a Playbaby Tablet Tweeter that does Facebook and other nonsense.  Cheesy Cheesy  Wink
From the looks of it Gene is not going to change. he seems stuck with a mouse.

I am not ready to give up Desktop PC's yet. Maybe when Tablets get a bigger size I will change my mind. A 10 inch screen just ain't big enough for Seniors. I use a 32' monitor on my PC. Somehow I can not see a 32' Tablet in my lap but maybe a 15' Tablet would be about right.  Shocked

Stan K9IUQ

I read and compose most of my eHam posts on my iPad as I am doing right now.  I have nothing against tablets, just stupid statements.

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »

Tablets rock!

Having said that, I don't have much desire to run my KX3 from my tablet with the current crop of software, I'd rather just operate blind! Smiley

As to the future of the desktop PC... Well, change is inevitable!  Lol, if not for my radios and a few websites that won't work with tablet browsers yet, I hardly use the desktops or laptops anymore.

Today's kids will shape tomorrow's consumers and today's kids think desktops are archaic and inconvenient!  They are being raised on phones and tablets and game consoles.  Corporations are moving more and more to mobile computing and bring your own device strategies as well.

Heck, I can even type over 30 worlds a minute on an iPad without external keyboard.  I print from it, and do most other daily functional things from it.  I am even doing photo editing and more complicated functions with it.

Yes, consumers are using tablets.  On what do you think all those applications that consumers use are wrtten on?  Definitely not a tablet! 

Gene
(composed on an iPad)
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

Today's kids will shape tomorrow's consumers and today's kids think desktops are archaic and inconvenient!  They are being raised on phones and tablets and game consoles.  Corporations are moving more and more to mobile computing and bring your own device strategies as well.

Today's kids are being shaped by adults into tomorrow's consumers.
Any kid that used a "fast desktop" will not think it's it's archaic and inconvenient.
Most kids don't know what "fast" is. Just like to most kids a 64Kb encoded mp3 "sounds fine". 
Kids used to want laptops because they didn't have to use mom's and dad's computer. Now they want a tablet because it's even more convenient than a laptop.
Or because their friend has one.
What they are being raised on, is developed and marketed and sold by adults.
Corporations are moving towards what they believe is the most profitable direction,  or what they believe will bring in the most venture capital. Either way it is done for the benefit of the corporation first and foremost. Consumer benefit (actual or perceived) is almost a side effect.
Of course there is a lot of keeping up with the Jones' going on when it is necessary....

We are all part of a market segment or someone's target demographic...
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

Today's kids are being shaped by adults into tomorrow's consumers.
Any kid that used a "fast desktop" will not think it's it's archaic and inconvenient.
Most kids don't know what "fast" is. Just like to most kids a 64Kb encoded mp3 "sounds fine". 
Kids used to want laptops because they didn't have to use mom's and dad's computer. Now they want a tablet because it's even more convenient than a laptop.
Or because their friend has one.
What they are being raised on, is developed and marketed and sold by adults.
Corporations are moving towards what they believe is the most profitable direction,  or what they believe will bring in the most venture capital. Either way it is done for the benefit of the corporation first and foremost. Consumer benefit (actual or perceived) is almost a side effect.
Of course there is a lot of keeping up with the Jones' going on when it is necessary....

We are all part of a market segment or someone's target demographic...

We are talking about what I call the Y generation here aren't we?  BTW, I have 4 of them here and there is not much shaping of this next gen coming whose single most asked question is (Y) why?

Why do I need to get a job?
Why do I need to follow rules?
Why do I need to work hard?
Why do I need a big PC?

Smiley

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »

Using a Tablet for Controlling a ham radio would be a game changer too. Imagine a non-SDR radio like a Icom Pro III with one tuning knob and no mechanical buttons. A beautiful spectrum scope with waterfall on the tablet display.  All radio functions could be controlled by the integrated tablet on the front of the Radio

Pinch-to-zoom would control actual RF filter bandwidth...

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »

3.  Since you have only really had any experience with the Yaesu 897D, ICOM 7000 and the Flex5K, your statement "you can plug in headphones or external speakers and experience ham radio like few probably have before" holds very little credibility.  Try actually operating some quality radios besides the clunkers you have experience with before declaring such nonsense as if the KX3 is some kind of miracle radio.  That statement of yours comes off as some over the top nonsense from a infatuated fan boy.

What would you suggest as "some quality radios" for comparison to the KX3?

How many of them cost less than $1000 US?

73 de Jim, N2EY
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »

KX3 is an amazing radio. Very smart that means great features at probably small manufacturing cost.

IMD with KX3 is interesting, It is a function of power supply - see a document on yahoo kx3 group. 3rd order of -40db with high voltage, dropping to -25db with the low voltage. One chooses what one wants: highest power at QRP level with battery, or low distortions when stationary with an amplifier.

Ignacy, NO9E
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

3.  Since you have only really had any experience with the Yaesu 897D, ICOM 7000 and the Flex5K, your statement "you can plug in headphones or external speakers and experience ham radio like few probably have before" holds very little credibility.  Try actually operating some quality radios besides the clunkers you have experience with before declaring such nonsense as if the KX3 is some kind of miracle radio.  That statement of yours comes off as some over the top nonsense from a infatuated fan boy.

What would you suggest as "some quality radios" for comparison to the KX3?

How many of them cost less than $1000 US?

73 de Jim, N2EY

I don't think I ever said anything about that quote.  I'll leave it at this.. I have played with low ends and high ends.  Those ends are not defined by me, you can go by Sherwood or by User ratings or personal criteria which appears to be the case for the remark.

What I have not dabbled in really is the ground in between, that I will agree with and that 4 radios and 1 year is not much experience.  But I have veer claimed otherwise.

If having an opinion as a new ham is a crime, then I am guilty! Smiley

73 De NI0Z

WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

I have been keeping my eye on SDR developments for half a decade, and am now interested in actually buying the KX3 to get my feet wet with this new technology.  I already have good experience with JT-65HF and PK31 modes using an audio interface with my old analog rig. But now I am not sure how to actually buy and deploy the KX3 with a computer SDR interface and then into digital modes.  I would appreciate feedback on my best guess hoping to avoid mistakes.

I would buy the KX3 and use the (E980231) I/Q Output Cable to plug directly into the audio in/out ports on my laptop WITHOUT any interface or isolation.  I would then run one of the many SDR pieces of software, but do not know which one.  I would then run a virtual cable to get the final audio into and out of the JT-65HF software.  Ideally, I would multitask the SDR software and JT-65HF software for a seamless workflow.

Of course, once I got it to work, then I would have all the fun of getting it to work better.  Once I hear from hams who have done this, and how they have done it, I will hit the "buy" button and get started.
73s, Rene

Basically I am trying to construct a working design of parts, components and software to use the KX3 without knobs as I would with say a Flex 1500 in JT65 mode just to get my feet wet with SDR, and at the same time have the KX3 to use as a stand alone portable rig, but am not sure of exactly how to do this in a step by step method.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »

Once I hear from hams who have done this, and how they have done it, I will hit the "buy" button and get started.

A) It's been done

B) With various degrees of ease or difficulty  depending on the presence or absence of a  variety of problems/issues none or all of which may apply to your specific geographical/intellectual/hardware/antenna  situation

C) Get started already

BCE  is sooo much simpler and a lot less painful
(Buy-Connect-Enjoy)   Smiley
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »

Here is your ARRL review of the KX3.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/PROD%20REV%20December%202012.pdf

You'll need to sign in to access it.

WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »

So what exactly is the bandwidth of the SDR IQ lines on the KX3? No where have I seen that listed.

I have a soundcard that will do 192Khz easy, and currently use it on the softrock and get a nice 192khz wide signal.

I think part of the problem is that only serious SDR users even have the type of soundcards or something like a FA66 that can do 192khz, and most people who have gotten a KX3 are not experienced SDR users, they are just regular hams.

So, does anyone know if the KX3 I/Q lines can be used at 192khz as well or are they limited to only 48, or 96khz wide?

Has anyone even tried to use a KX3 with a sound card that can do 192khz to test it?

Just curious.

WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »

So, does anyone know if the KX3 I/Q lines can be used at 192khz as well or are they limited to only 48, or 96khz wide?

I read that it could on page 26 of the KX3 user manual if fed into a 192khz sound card.  I am interested in buying a KX3 to use as an SDR rig, but have not read of anyone who has actually done this yet.  The manual is terse on this, and the forums provide little additional feedback on this thus far.   
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 03:34:07 AM »

I read that it could on page 26 of the KX3 user manual if fed into a 192khz sound card.  I am interested in buying a KX3 to use as an SDR rig, but have not read of anyone who has actually done this yet.  The manual is terse on this, and the forums provide little additional feedback on this thus far.   

NI0Z is using his KX3 with with SDR software.  Hopefully he will chime in and tell you what he has found.  NI0Z?

Gene
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: