Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KX3 SDR  (Read 55646 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 05:00:09 AM »

This aspect of QRP radios utility is lost on the designers of QRP radio designers, they really squander the radios potential by producing a low power radio with poor IMD performance which could make excellent drivers for tetrode amplifiers.  It would be very easy to homebrew a 200 watt tube amp that only takes 1 watt of drive or less.

Can you recommend a tube?

Gene
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 11:44:15 PM »

4cx350FJ  a superb linear tube designed for SSB service that is readily available.  2 tone 3rd order IMD figures of around -44 db at 200 watts of output

This aspect of QRP radios utility is lost on the designers of QRP radio designers, they really squander the radios potential by producing a low power radio with poor IMD performance which could make excellent drivers for tetrode amplifiers.  It would be very easy to homebrew a 200 watt tube amp that only takes 1 watt of drive or less.

Gene

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »

4cx350FJ  a superb linear tube designed for SSB service that is readily available.  2 tone 3rd order IMD figures of around -44 db at 200 watts of output

Gene

Thanks, will look into it!

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

I have been playing with some new software and while the cat control is not
implemented yet for Omnirig, this package has been real fun to play with. Cat
control should come in the next few months. you can read and see more here.

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles/68-kx3-with-studio-1?hitcount=0

Incidentally, I like this package so much I am likely going to put the IC 7000 up for sale and get a QS1R in the shack to run with this as well.

N7ZW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »

Can't we all just get along?  I just got my KX3 and want to set it up with my computer to learn more about SDR.  All I seem to find here is some arcane argument about what SDR means using insulting language to try to make this point.  OK, let's talk about what SDR means, but why does it have to take the form of an argument???

I'll check back in a while to see if the tone of conversation has changed and if there is anything actually interesting here that illuminates the KX3 and SDR.

GROW UP GUYS !!!
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »

Can't we all just get along? 

We are a diverse group here on eham with differing views. If one only wants to see their view discussed they are not going to learn much.

Wink
Stan K9IUQ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

I have been playing with some new software and while the cat control is not
implemented yet

I think cat control is very important, as my neighbor's cat makes noise all night long when she's in heat and if our windows are open it's really annoying.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »

Have a look the KX3 could be this

http://www.reuter-elektronik.de/index.html

Simple 19 inch rack box with  KX3, power supply and 200 watt FET PA. A simple touch screen front panel running  any embdedded ARM processor, the result a hot knobbed SDR radio.

The possibilities are endless, some people just need to stop drinking Koolaid or maybe they should add some LSD to the Koolaid to get some color and imagination.

A radio that is dependent on a PC is a archaic tool that wont have place in the future. Witness the success of tablets. If everyone thinks they always going to be  able to buy a desktop PC in the future they  in for a rude awakening.
Typing your product to a PC based platform is a recipe for planned obsolescence. A Android tablet that could plug into the KX3 would be  a fantastic future option that would radically transform peoples thinking about knobbed radios.

Can't we all just get along?  I just got my KX3 and want to set it up with my computer to learn more about SDR.  All I seem to find here is some arcane argument about what SDR means using insulting language to try to make this point.  OK, let's talk about what SDR means, but why does it have to take the form of an argument???

I'll check back in a while to see if the tone of conversation has changed and if there is anything actually interesting here that illuminates the KX3 and SDR.

GROW UP GUYS !!!
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

Have a look the KX3 could be this

Receiver 1 kHz ... 30 MHz, 50 MHz ... 54 MHz Ordering information RDR50B1 Price: 1.950,00 € -> $2500.00

Receiver 1 kHz ... 30 MHz, 50 MHz ... 54 MHz, 87.5 MHz ... 108, 144 ... 148 MHz Ordering information RDR50B2 Price: 2.150,00 € -> $2800.00

Receiver as RDR50B1 with 9-band HF transmitter 4 W PEP Ordering information RDR50B3 Price: 2.500,00 € -> $3250.00

Receiver as RDR50B2 with 9-band HF transmitter 4 W PEP Ordering information RDR50B4 Price: 2.700,00 € -> $3500.00

Transmit only on HF, no 6M/2M TX.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:02 AM »

Simple 19 inch rack box with  KX3, power supply and 200 watt FET PA. A simple touch screen front panel running  any embdedded ARM processor, the result a hot knobbed SDR radio.

The RDR 54B was interesting in that it has no buttons and only one knob. The Tablet like touch screen certainly looked like a good implementation for a SDR. As a regular Tablet user I would have to agree that this is the way to go for controlling a SDR. Mouse free and almost like a regular knobbed radio.

I wish my browser would have translated this site, I would have liked to seen more info in English. It is thinking and Engineering like this company exhibits that will obsolete SDR companies  like Flexradio.

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 05:01:26 AM »

If everyone thinks they always going to be  able to buy a desktop PC in the future they  in for a rude awakening.

You cannot get any real work done on a iPhone, iPad, Android tablet, etc...  Just try to do some programming on one, or do an Autocad drawing, run a serious simulation, or compose a serious document.  Do you think that the programmers who develop applications for these tablets or develop their firmware or their hardware design do so on a tablet?  Roll Eyes Desktop PCs will be around a long time because of this.  It's only the non-productive mindless PLAY BABIES that only want to search the internet, send emails, tweets, and text messages who believe the desktop PC is going away anytime soon.  The PLAY BABIES like the tablets for their incessant tweeting and facebooking (as if anyone really cares to hear about every little detail of what they are doing from minute to minute).

I have all of the above and I certainly do not think the desktop PC is going away anytime soon because of it.

Gene
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:09:08 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 05:58:20 AM »

You cannot get any real work done on a iPhone, iPad, Android tablet, etc...  

Ahh, but for an interface for a SDR the tablet would seem to be perfect.

Before retiring I worked in Instrumentation in a industrial setting. All standalone Instruments were being phased out for touch screens thru computer control. There were many advantages to this over knobs and buttons and readouts on  an Instrument.

The same thing happened many years ago in motor control circuits. All touch screens, no start/stop buttons, no stepping relays etc. Devices like Allen Bradley PLC's completely changed the way industry controlled equipment.

The same thing IS going to happen in Hamradio and the German SDR link for radios is an excellent example of where it is going to go. Zenki is right, PC control of hamradios via mouse is old school. Very old school. Tablet control of (SDR) hamradios is coming soon. They will be an integral part of the radio.

I love Tablets. I love desktop PC's. Given a choice I would much rather have a Tablet control a hamradio.

I do not see Desktop PC's fading away in spite of the Tablet.

Hamradio Play Baby (Senior) Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:08:10 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »

You cannot get any real work done on a iPhone, iPad, Android tablet, etc...  

Ahh, but for an interface for a SDR the tablet would seem to be perfect.

Before retiring I worked in Instrumentation in a industrial setting. All standalone Instruments were being phased out for touch screens thru computer control. There were many advantages to this over knobs and buttons and readouts on  an Instrument.

The same thing happened many years ago in motor control circuits. All touch screens, no start/stop buttons, no stepping relays etc. Devices like Allen Bradley PLC's completely changed the way industry controlled equipment.

The same thing IS going to happen in Hamradio and the German SDR link for radios is an excellent example of where it is going to go. Zenki is right, PC control of hamradios via mouse is old school. Very old school. Tablet control of (SDR) hamradios is coming soon. They will be an integral part of the radio.

I love Tablets. I love desktop PC's. Given a choice I would much rather have a Tablet control a hamradio.

I do not see Desktop PC's fading away in spite of the Tablet.

Hamradio Play Baby (Senior) Stan K9IUQ

I agree that PC based control and DSP of SDRs is a problem and not necessarily the way to go.  I have argued this multiple times on eHam in the past.  I'd much rather see embedded control and DSP integrated into the SDR. 

My only issue with Zenki's statement is when he said that desktop PCs are going away period - he did not say that they were only going away for SDRs.   The only people who think desktop PCs are going away are the consumers of things, not the producers of things.  If these people really produced anything, they would immediately understand that a tablet, or phone, is not what you use to produce serious things (except for tweets, facebook posts, and other nonsense).

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 08:05:13 AM »

If these people really produced anything, they would immediately understand that a tablet, or phone, is not what you use to produce serious things (except for tweets, facebook posts, and other nonsense).

The Tablet was never intended to produce anything except maybe emails, and as you say other nonsense.

It was and is a device to consume information and provide entertainment.. Information/Entertainment = Movies, Books, Newspapers, WebSurfing, Gaming etc. It is a game changer. I full expect paper produced Books/Newspapers/Magazines to be extinct within several years because of Tablets.

Using a Tablet for Controlling a ham radio would be a game changer too. Imagine a non-SDR radio like a Icom Pro III with one tuning knob and no mechanical buttons. A beautiful spectrum scope with waterfall on the tablet display.  All radio functions could be controlled by the integrated tablet on the front of the Radio. A propagation map/DX Cluster/Logbook could be integrated within the Radio's Tablet. Automatic CW/Digital decoding below the waterfall.  Get tired of radioing? Just hit the eham 'Button" on the Tablet and voila you are ready for serious complaining.  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 10:41:04 AM »

Tablets rock!

Having said that, I don't have much desire to run my KX3 from my tablet with the current crop of software, I'd rather just operate blind! Smiley

As to the future of the desktop PC... Well, change is inevitable!  Lol, if not for my radios and a few websites that won't work with tablet browsers yet, I hardly use the desktops or laptops anymore.

Today's kids will shape tomorrow's consumers and today's kids think desktops are archaic and inconvenient!  They are being raised on phones and tablets and game consoles.  Corporations are moving more and more to mobile computing and bring your own device strategies as well.

Heck, I can even type over 30 worlds a minute on an iPad without external keyboard.  I print from it, and do most other daily functional things from it.  I am even doing photo editing and more complicated functions with it.

Everything changes with time!

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: