Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing my TS-830, Need some help.  (Read 3435 times)
KJ4VRV

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »

Like the title states, I'm looking to get a new ( to me) rig.
I'm looking at a FT-920 with the inrad roofing filter mod
and a TS-850 with the 1.8 ssb filter and a 4khz AM filter
the 850 is a late sn unit with dds2 chips.
any thoughts on the better of the 2. I chasing dx
so the dual vfo setup on the 920 is kinda nice.
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

Good Day,
I have never owned an FT-920 but they have been called sleepers, (good rigs). The FM board was extra, so check on that before buying. I believe the filters were extra, check on those as well. I want to try any used rig before I bought! 73,
Rob WA9UAA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »

I really do not see a big upgrade with either of those. Many years ago I briefly had a 850 to replace the 830 "gold label" I got new and when I used them side by side for a week I resold 850 and upgraded my backup rig. In good a repair a 830 is still a class act today. I had a external digital VFO for mine too. If you can afford a few buck more I would take a hard look at a 590 and even a TS-480 with optional xtal filters will not disappoint you. It uses a new generation filters than have much steeper skirts than old style kenwood filters.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »

I think the 920 has 6 meters on it so that would be a plus. 

The other posters are correct - the 830 is a fine radio - it is getting old - but so is any ts-850.

I really like the TS-850 - I own several of them - not having to tune up the finals is very convenient - and it
was that feature that pushed me to by a TS-930S over a TS-830 back in 1981.

George
K5TR
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »

All HAMs like to have the newest and bestest rig available.  I am no exception.  However as a boat anchor collector and restorer with about 35 rigs to choose from, I am yet to find a rig at any price that will NOTICEABLY out perform my TS-830S with cascaded INRAD SSB and CW filters in real world conditions. 

Granted I have not owned or used any of the $10,000 transceivers.

Dick  AD4U
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

I have a FT-920 which replaced a TS years ago and a FT-950. The 950 has a great receiver and lots of options if you are a menu guy. The 920 is a pleasure to use; more old school, more knobs etc. Mine has the FM board, the AM filter and without doubt a keeper.

KB5UBI
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

Unless you need 6 mtrs I would look for a used FT1000MP, that rig has an extra rcvr/dual vfo setup, dual 2.4 filters in both IF's and you can get still lots of plug n play optional filters plus built in supply. THe used prices that I have seen have been between $1000 to $1200 depending on how many optional filters and IRC also makes a nice roofing filter as well for the rig. Between the 920 and the 850 well the 850 is really pre dsp but has two IF's so they also have IRC filters that can really keep the selectivity on ssb to competition grade but its an older rig and Kenwood no longer suports service on those older rigs now and it wont be long before the same will be true for the Yaesu's as well. I have owned a few MP's and they have always been great rigs but sold my last one cause it seemed a good time to get one of the newer design down conversion rigs so I ended up with the TS590 which has real balls as far as a receiver goes next to many of the top shelf rig today but thats a little over $1.5K but some day I will also pick up another MP just for old time sake, have always like the rig and for almost 10 years it was on the top teir for contest station use back n the day but the RX/TX sound of that rig was hard to beat.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »

Having owned all three, I have to agree neither the 850 or the 920 is a major jump other than the 920 having six meters. The 850 is a great radio, owned 5 of them. Amazing receiver, great TX audio, but getting harder to service. The later models with the upgraded DDS chips, as you mentioned is a bonus. I'd love to get my hands on a late model mint 850.

The 920 is nice, had two of them, but grew tired of it quickly. For about $1K, you can get a used 756PRO, which is a bigger step up, with lots more features than the 850 or 920. I traded mine a few months ago for a nice TS940, SP940 and cash. Guess I'll always be a Kenwood guy.

Good luck and have fun with your new radio, whatever it may be.

Max
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: